Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-05-2021, 11:11 AM   #61
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Falcon Ecoboost vs EcoLPI - the daily proposition

I know it's not within your original criteria, Franco, but if you're after cheap, reliable transport, then this could be a good way to go:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19786075/?Cr=2

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2021, 07:13 PM   #62
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
I get low 8s with purely highway driving with my FG at 110. I have a mate who had an FG2 who claimed 7s, but whether that was being slightly newer, tuned, or a bit of an exaggeration I couldn't say.

When I drive from Brisbane to Winton I'll fill up at Roma and then at Barcaldine, although once Barcaldine had no fuel so I pushed on to Longreach. Just about 700km, and I was probably doing 80 from Ilfracombe onwards. Probably would have made it at 110, still had a little bit of range left according to the trip computer.

Also, 420k, still going strong.
Consistent with my experience and probably a good yard stick for OP.
700km from 66-68L/tank is close enough to 10l/100 on average.
Back of qld ain't no place to fuel out. Done it twice in a ranger Emerald-Charters towers.

I tend to disregard instanteous readings of computers on threads where people are looking for long term buys, its no good for planning the weekly country trips...
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2021, 08:05 PM   #63
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
Consistent with my experience and probably a good yard stick for OP.
700km from 66-68L/tank is close enough to 10l/100 on average.
Back of qld ain't no place to fuel out. Done it twice in a ranger Emerald-Charters towers.

I tend to disregard instanteous readings of computers on threads where people are looking for long term buys, its no good for planning the weekly country trips...
There'd be something wrong with a 4.0 Falcon to be returning 10l open road.
The only ones I've had that can't better that were my two old AU wagons. I'm unsure if the wagon shape ads 2l or so per 100km or if there was something wrong. The first wagon I had, I went through nearly everything to try and get the economy I experienced from my AU sedans and AU VCT Fairlane.
My old AU XR6 manual ute would return mid 8s.
Best is a AU Forte sedan which I could get 830km to a tank. It had about 6% speedo error so reality 780km to a tank.
It would consistently take 62-63 litres when I filled up which is a real world 7.9-8.0l/100km once speedo error is taken to account.

No car I've had will take the full tank capacity at the pump. Despite running it down to as low as 10km DTE.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2021, 08:19 PM   #64
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I know it's not within your original criteria, Franco, but if you're after cheap, reliable transport, then this could be a good way to go:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...19786075/?Cr=2
Hey bud, currently wheeling a LV TDCI Focus as the daily

Me and Yellow Festiva both bought em around the same time, mines gone more than half way to the moon though where as his did the 'they all do that' trick with the DSG at the Ford dealership
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-05-2021, 10:57 PM   #65
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
There'd be something wrong with a 4.0 Falcon to be returning 10l open road.
The only ones I've had that can't better that were my two old AU wagons. I'm unsure if the wagon shape ads 2l or so per 100km or if there was something wrong. The first wagon I had, I went through nearly everything to try and get the economy I experienced from my AU sedans and AU VCT Fairlane.
My old AU XR6 manual ute would return mid 8s.
Best is a AU Forte sedan which I could get 830km to a tank. It had about 6% speedo error so reality 780km to a tank.
It would consistently take 62-63 litres when I filled up which is a real world 7.9-8.0l/100km once speedo error is taken to account.

No car I've had will take the full tank capacity at the pump. Despite running it down to as low as 10km DTE.
you're not trying hard enough.
I've put 69L into a FG2 and put 2-3L more than capacity into a ranger. Twice.

AU3 was the best with the push back brake callipers. Drag coefficient of 0.29 only went backwards after that because people didn't buy efficient saggy ar$e cars. Au wagons were 0.34 (I think). Compare to FG at 0.31.

All pointless given economy in the real world is a function of throttle position and BSFC, and none of what I've typed helps Franco buy a 4L, Ecoboost or Mondeo, (unless he wants something 20 years old)

but it does raise another point, if you want to change your own oil, you'll find the underbody tray a PIA on the FG-X, Eco boost or Mondeo, if you rack up the km quickly...
Old 04-05-2021, 11:08 PM   #66
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
you're not trying hard enough.
I've put 69L into a FG2 and put 2-3L more than capacity into a ranger. Twice.

AU3 was the best with the push back brake callipers. Drag coefficient of 0.29 only went backwards after that because people didn't buy efficient saggy ar$e cars. Au wagons were 0.34 (I think). Compare to FG at 0.31.

All pointless given economy in the real world is a function of throttle position and BSFC, and none of what I've typed helps Franco buy a 4L, Ecoboost or Mondeo, (unless he wants something 20 years old)

but it does raise another point, if you want to change your own oil, you'll find the underbody tray a PIA on the FG-X, Eco boost or Mondeo, if you rack up the km quickly...
Both the underbody tray and engine cover found themselves in the skip years ago on my Focus

I am curious to see what people are getting real world results on their Falcons of all types (and other options - like Thailand Specials TM)

What are you guys (and girls) driving for the daily and how much fuel are you going through?

I've never been so sensitive on fuel usage until I started using Fuely and then it started giving me statistics on everything

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-05-2021 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:37 PM   #67
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Au was the best as mentioned - highway 8l/100km
EL 9L highway, 13.5 suburbs (advanced timing on the dizzy too, did better with 95ron)
BA ute with canopy ~8.5 highway, 12l suburbs. Canopy and roof racks probably screws it, can go 8l/100km if just under 100kms/hr, shoots up when going over 100km/hr - or under 90km/hr too is bad!)

Last edited by oldel; 04-05-2021 at 11:43 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #68
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

I am curious to see what people are getting real world results on their Falcons of all types (and other options - like Thailand Specials TM)

What are you guys (and girls) driving for the daily and how much fuel are you going through?

I've never been so sensitive on fuel usage until I started using Fuely and then it started giving me statistics on everything
Single occupant, no luggage, FG 4L 6sp will do high 7's/low 8's without even trying on the highway. I know 383hq is intent on proving they don't, but there is enough members on this forum, who work their fuel use out manually, to prove they do.

Mine did 10's for my work commute, although doing shift work meant traffic was pretty light. Ave speed was 45kmh.

I did 7 trips to Brisbane (family holiday) in the time I had it. 4 occupants and boot full of luggage. I always document fuel use and it would return between 8 - 8.4 for the entire 5000km+ journey with ave speed in the high 70's/low 80's.

Bought it at 50k, sold it at 170k with only logbook servicing apart from new heat exchanger and gearbox service at 150k. Economy never changed. Barra really was a solid engine.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #69
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

When i had my BF3 egas wagon id get mid13's combined with the majority outer suburban, on the highway it'd return around high 10's from 116 useable litres, so 1000kms to a tank.
Would do Adelaide to Melbourne and a bit of running around before needing a refill.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #70
prydey
Rob

I should add, I didn't drive slow trying to eke out every last km. I drove normal and sat on cruise on the speed limit. Overtaking was done spending as little time on the wrong side as possible without going silly.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:25 PM   #71
Swordie

My 5.4 3v gets low 10's with highway driving. It normally sits around 17's. I find v8s use roughly 20 - 30% more.

A tuned Ecoboost looks like it can more torque and power than my 3v. I wonder how low the torque comes on. Its hard to beat NA motors for low down torque which the 3v are good for.

Torque I find is more desirable for highway driving.

Last edited by Swordie; 05-05-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2021, 08:00 PM   #72
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Filled the FG2 up today, 592km, 61Litres. 95% highway -must be something wrong! especially when the computer was telling me 8.6 !

Fuel econony for the cars I've owned (two of which may make it onto the daily driver list for consideration):

EL ghia use to get 620-670km/tank week in week out
AU2 use to get 620-720km /tank week in week out
BA2 RTV V8 ute use to get 500-550 km tank week in week out (80L tank) computer would say 10s, long term actual use closer to 12-13L/100
BF2 XR8 ute use to get 490-540 km tank week in week out (80L tank)
Ford ranger was 450-480km/tank mainly due to a far too small tank. (couldn't possibly have been the 33's steel bull bar, racks or lift kit)
Mondeo MC use to get 1000-1200km tank week in week out, once i was shocked i was filling up at 860km.
FG2 xr6 gets 590-650 km tank week in week out. Put 60L in today for 592 km travelled. I'm gunna keep this one past 300k km unless it hits a kangaroo, and then I'll likely be typing about average count of electrons / km.

Last edited by 383hq; 05-05-2021 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #73
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Filled the FG2 up today, 592km, 61Litres. 95% highway -must be something wrong!

FG2 xr6 gets 590-650 km tank week in week out. Put 60L in today for 592 km travelled.
If it was my car, I would definitely be looking further in to it.

What details are you leaving out? Is it sedan or ute? How much weight on board? What's the ave speed read out say in the trip computer?
Old 05-05-2021, 08:20 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Trip computer is out by .5L/100km on my Focus consistently, reads 5.2L/100km but is actually 5.7L/100KM calculated manually.

Generally does 5.7L/100km day in day out regardless with my driving style of using throttle like a switch - on or off
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2021, 08:23 PM   #75
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Trip computer is out by .5L/100km on my Focus consistently, reads 5.2L/100km but is actually 5.7L/100KM calculated manually.

Generally does 5.7L/100km day in day out regardless with my driving style of using throttle like a switch - on or off
Is there a dpf on those? Sorry to stray off topic.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #76
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Is there a dpf on those? Sorry to stray off topic.
Mines non DPF model, right before the emissions regulations required them on diesels.

If it had one I'm sure I'd have melted a huge hole in it

I don't think I'd own another diesel car due to the DPF issues on the more modern stuff.

I had the EGR disabled early on in its life too, car is tuned, boost turned up to 23 PSI and has all the basics like exhaust, a big front mount intercooler (that's sprayed black) and stainless steel charge piping with silicone joiners.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:36 PM   #77
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Mines non DPF model, right before the emissions regulations required them on diesels.

If it had one I'm sure I'd have melted a huge hole in it

I don't think I'd own another diesel car due to the DPF issues on the more modern stuff.

I had the EGR disabled early on in its life too, car is tuned, boost turned up to 23 PSI and has all the basics like exhaust and a big front mount intercooler (that's sprayed black).
What year is it? LV I believe? Daughter needs a car soon and looking at fiestas but a focus would also work. Not really suited for short trips but they seem very reliable. Just traded our LS petrol and that was super reliable as well.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:59 PM   #78
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

2008 FG XR6 sedan with 6 speed auto. 90% around town driving -

2014 FGX XR8 sedan with 6 speed auto. 100% fun -

I wear those numbers with pride.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #79
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
What year is it? LV I believe? Daughter needs a car soon and looking at fiestas but a focus would also work. Not really suited for short trips but they seem very reliable. Just traded our LS petrol and that was super reliable as well.
Yep - they're worth nothing too, no DPF on LV series I like mine, I'd be inclined to go for Econetic Fiesta instead of LV TDCI Focus but it has a DPF.

Couple common issues, leaky tail lights which mine has where the spare wheel well will fill up with water and the bonding between the rear quarter windows and the body don't hold up too well.

My HVAC vent controls don't work very well anymore, the feet one still comes out through the face vents, its like the vent selector thing doesn't close off vents properly.

Heater core is known to leak, mine has been good though.

Mine is manual though, there is an auto one but given past experiences of other members on this forum with said auto LV TDCI Focus - avoid.

I've abused the crap out of my car though, its been beaten on every kilometer of its life, tows trailer on the regular, once I had the back seats down and the back half of the car full of cow ****

They're safe as well, I crashed my first LV TDCI Focus less than 1000km after buying it new by T-boning a 1980s Rodeo at high speed and I walked out of it with burns from the airbags and temporary hearing loss

Selling LV TDCI Focus, driven to Bocce and back by elderly gentleman

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-05-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:44 PM   #80
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yep - they're worth nothing too, no DPF on LV series I like mine, I'd be inclined to go for Econetic Fiesta instead of LV TDCI Focus but it has a DPF.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-7088638

It's even in SA too
Old 07-05-2021, 07:53 PM   #81
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Only modded 2L Ecoboost cars Ive seen are Focus ST.

There's a few tuned Ecoboost Falcons around but no one's gone to the level of turbo upgrades and aux fuelling the likes that the Focus ST crowd have done
It would be interesting to see one taken to the max though can understand probably not worth doing with all the XR6Ts and F6s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
Wouldn't gas be a bad long term option?

I'm sure I read something recently saying that as service stations get to the point they need to replace their gas tanks, they're just not doing it.

My nephew had an ecopli Falcon, and my brother raved about how good it is and encouraged me to get a gas powered something. The problem being there's no gas for about 500km from where I live, and I imagine that's only going to get worse, not better.
I was speaking from the perspective that the Ford LPG is tried and proven without consideration for whether the stations have it or not but yes that is a good point
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2021, 02:14 PM   #82
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If it was my car, I would definitely be looking further in to it.

What details are you leaving out? Is it sedan or ute? How much weight on board? What's the ave speed read out say in the trip computer?
Sedan, What ever they weigh + maybe 10-20kg in the boot. I don't think the XR6 FG2 has ave speed on trip computer. If it has I've never used it. I'd guess at 80+km/h over the last 155k km.

For me, 8.6L/100 theoretical consumption would give 700+km between fills at a typical 60-64L refill. That's never been real world range during daily driving for me unless its a diesel.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #83
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Sedan, What ever they weigh + maybe 10-20kg in the boot. I don't think the XR6 FG2 has ave speed on trip computer. If it has I've never used it. I'd guess at 80+km/h over the last 155k km.

For me, 8.6L/100 theoretical consumption would give 700+km between fills at a typical 60-64L refill. That's never been real world range during daily driving for me unless its a diesel.
What fuel have you been using? 91 or do you use 98?
Old 08-05-2021, 05:36 PM   #84
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sometimes put 98 in
Pick up during overtaking is noticeably better with 98, but less then 30 km difference in range per refill which is about the same variance I see on 91
Old 08-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #85
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Sedan, What ever they weigh + maybe 10-20kg in the boot. I don't think the XR6 FG2 has ave speed on trip computer.
Yes it does. I had FG version and pretty sure the system stayed the same. It's in the multi function display between the speedo and tacho.

I ran mine on 98 but never cared about cost. It's just better fuel. I don't think it makes much difference to the economy either.

Yours does seem on the thirsty side to me.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:53 PM   #86
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Driving style makes a big difference.
I shared an FG2 ute as a commuter with a workmate, he'd be running 12's on his drive week, I'd get it down to 8's on mine. We both got there in the same time too
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2021, 10:15 AM   #87
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We mind as well complete the thread hyjack properly

Seems like there are plenty of people out there regularly getting the weekly 700-800km range/tank out of a Falcon. I knew the falcon was good, but I didn't think it was that good

It is surprising (to me) that on the same trip each week, one uses 40L (8s) and one uses 60L (12s), week in week out.

We mind as well complete the list, fuel consumption is a function of throttle position.

Throttle position is a function of required power v actual load
Speed, elevation change, aero efficiency (drag) & wind, road surface friction, engine efficiency& fuel quality, gearing, thermodynamic and frictional powertrain losses & rolling resistance)

While I've used cruise control almost exclusively over the last decade, it cannot anticipate hills, overtaking needs etc, but pver the last two decaded it has always resulted very repeatable always within +/- 5% week in, week out.

Loved the Mondeo, but I was never going to buy a Prius and pump skinny tyres up to 52psi, to save 20L/week.
We've got holes in the road here large enough to swallow an entire Prius ...
Old 09-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #88
prydey
Rob

My claims of easily getting 8's, and in to the 7's in the right conditions (solo, no luggage etc) was based purely on highway, interstate type travel.

Day in day out, I would get low 10's. When I drove to work, ave speed reading was around 45kmh and calculated economy was between 10 and 10.4. As above, very repeatable, tank after tank. I'd run until the 'fuel used' reading reached 60L used (I never used the analogue gauge) and then fill, always getting just over 600km give or take.

perhaps that clears things up. I'm not suggesting Falcons can do 8's in daily life.

In regard to the OP (Franco) I believe his daily commute is heavily weighted in favour of highway type speeds though, so running at the sharper end of economy is much more possible for his scenario.

From what I've read, the ecoboost is a slight improvement, obviously depending on driver behaviour, but rarely have i seen it as worse. While there isn't much feedback from ecoboost owners, I would read the feedback of the 6cyl cars as a 'worst case' for the ecoboost.

In SA, rego is based on cyl count, so it would at least save you a bit on rego each year.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #89
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
My claims of easily getting 8's, and in to the 7's in the right conditions (solo, no luggage etc) was based purely on highway, interstate type travel.

Day in day out, I would get low 10's. When I drove to work, ave speed reading was around 45kmh and calculated economy was between 10 and 10.4. As above, very repeatable, tank after tank. I'd run until the 'fuel used' reading reached 60L used (I never used the analogue gauge) and then fill, always getting just over 600km give or take.

perhaps that clears things up. I'm not suggesting Falcons can do 8's in daily life.

In regard to the OP (Franco) I believe his daily commute is heavily weighted in favour of highway type speeds though, so running at the sharper end of economy is much more possible for his scenario.

From what I've read, the ecoboost is a slight improvement, obviously depending on driver behaviour, but rarely have i seen it as worse. While there isn't much feedback from ecoboost owners, I would read the feedback of the 6cyl cars as a 'worst case' for the ecoboost.

In SA, rego is based on cyl count, so it would at least save you a bit on rego each year.
Put it this way - my daily commute I average the same fuel usage per 100km calculated manually on fill up as I do driving from Melbourne to Adelaide non stop point to point, average speed is 73km/h across a fill which is usually 800km-900km

Melbourne to Adelaide I average around 95km/h and car uses the same amount of fuel, went a bit higher on the last return trip up to 6.1L/100km but I was pushing it (average speed 106km/h across 732km)

I have three traffic lights in 53km or 105km of work commute each way depending on where I'm working out of - those three traffic lights are just off a freeway offramp and a couple roundabouts on country roads so my driving is pretty consistent.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 09-05-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:53 PM   #90
4stanger