Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2021, 11:27 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Falcon Ecoboost vs EcoLPI - the daily proposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
How good are you are welding or replacing turbos? The wastegate actuator arm seems to be made of pot metal on the ecoboost. Search "ecoboost turbo rattle" Who knows what else is going to make an ecoboost uneconomical to repair in the future?

Barra for long term ownership, the ecoboost was never made to do 200k kms+ imo.
Barras are the last of the cast block dinosaurs and because it's so old in design is the reason why it will run the longest.
Sounds like a good excuse for these

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/borg...lange-0.64-a-r

https://www.full-race.com/store/borg...bo-manifold-1/
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2021, 11:36 PM   #32
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Franco Cozzo;6569520]That's been a good thing about diesel - the price is very stable, it doesn't vary up and down hugely like both unleaded and LPG seem to.

One thing I am not sure about with the ECOLPI ute, do they come with a full size spare tyre?
The sedans have the temp repair kit or the small tyre.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2021, 11:43 PM   #33
GT1533

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post

One thing I am not sure about with the ECOLPI ute, do they come with a full size spare tyre?
My 2011 FG upgrade XR6 ecolpi Ute has the full size spare.
GT1533 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-04-2021, 12:14 AM   #34
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Gumtree, its in a yard called Auto's123 or something at Mile End, was formerly Zooper Cars, a susidiary of the Stillwell group, Prydey bought his Tezza from them.

Still listed, easyauto123.com.au
Other way around I believe. Stillwell (and Adrian Brien) are part of zooper, which is part of AP Eager..

My experience with them was not great, however the car I bought is good so I guess that's all that matters.

Their new premises is literally around the corner from work so if you need something checked out...
Old 20-04-2021, 12:20 AM   #35
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Other way around I believe. Stillwell (and Adrian Brien) are part of zooper, which is part of AP Eager..

My experience with them was not great, however the car I bought is good so I guess that's all that matters.

Their new premises is literally around the corner from work so if you need something checked out...
Ahh, right, i knew they had some link.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2021, 12:34 AM   #36
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
I am in a similar situation to yourself
I side stepped from a 2012 MC mondeo tdci (which I really enjoyed until service time) to a FG 2 falcon, 2013. I tend to buy a car thats 1-3 yr old with low km, run the km up to around 200k and sell it, then rinse and repeat, but I"m at 155k on the FG2 and can't see myself selling this one at 200k.

Any money saved on the fuel efficiency of the TDCI was spent on Servicing, but it was a great car. MC tdci was 1000-1200km tank (driving at 110-130 km/h, 95% highway) but at 190,000 km, I lay awake at night knowing any failure would require costly parts - turbo, fuel injection, fuel pump, gearbox etc, so i traded it in and bought a low km xr6 as I had no yard stick to measure highway longevity of the tdci mondeo.

FG2 4 litre, oil is still golden at 15k km on highway runs. I did some oil analysis at 23k and it was still well good - could have changed oil filters and gone 25k-30k km (synthetic)

I've done 110k km now in the FG2 and love its simplicty. Just get use to filling up 550-650k km if you sit on 110+ km/h regularly. I feel like it'll last mechanically until 3-400k km easily with highway driving, its probably closer to 700k km in reality...

I dunno about people who get 7L/100 km - that equates to just under 1000km/tank at 68 L. I've never seen 800k km out of a 4L falcon, let alone range starting with a nine.
Maybe I just don't want to waste my life driving for hours at 96km/h

Never an issue with the mondeo, and thought I had a slight cooling problem with the falcon after I'd driven it 90k km, so precautionary change of drive belt, tensioner, thermostat, and coolant (about $250 in parts)

PS Don't knock the french - they'll let you do 130 on the freeway, let em get on with their revolution
Our AU does low 8's day in, day out on the open road out here.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2021, 12:49 AM   #37
prydey
Rob

Quote:

I dunno about people who get 7L/100 km - that equates to just under 1000km/tank at 68 L. I've never seen 800k km out of a 4L falcon, let alone range starting with a nine.
My FG xr6 6sp did 7's if I was the sole occupant. Most trips I did had 4 occupants and a boot full of luggage however still managed very low 8's on interstate trips.

Falcons are great cruisers.
Old 20-04-2021, 01:16 AM   #38
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

[QUOTE=EBSXR6;6569556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
That's been a good thing about diesel - the price is very stable, it doesn't vary up and down hugely like both unleaded and LPG seem to.

You can have a full size spare in an ECOLPI sedan (it was a factory option) - you just sacrifice a lot of boot space.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2021, 07:26 AM   #39
Swordie

FG Ecoboost tuning (Horsepower Factory):

"Standard the 2.0L turbo 4-pot puts out 176kw & 353nm at the flywheel, with nothing more than loading the thing onto the dyno and remapping the factory ECU, we were able to liven it up to a calculated 235kw and 507nm!

A 30%+ increase in power and 40%+ increase in torque for $990 is not bad in anyones language and the EcoBoost Falcon will probably still return 8L/100km!"

https://www.facebook.com/HorsepowerF...6802542287739/
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2021, 08:37 AM   #40
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Does 7's or 8's" could mean a couple of things.

My computer tells me I do 8s, but I treat that like I treat a politician talking...
64L / 8l/100km = 800km/tank from a 68L tank +2L so I know it ain't so, I'm always filling up well less then 800km.

i think I got 760km once out of an EL Fairmont Ghia, and I got near 780km a couple of times in my AU2 fairmont. Not even close in the FG2 xr6

I hope y'all are staying in the left lane, Don't think you can go wrong with a 4L, 2L falcon or Mondeo tbh. Go for the best deal it'll be worthless when you're finished with it...
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #41
prydey
Rob

Quote:
"Does 7's or 8's" could mean a couple of things.

My computer tells me I do 8s, but I treat that like I treat a politician talking...
64L / 8l/100km = 800km/tank from a 68L tank +2L so I know it ain't so, I'm always filling up well less then 800km.

i think I got 760km once out of an EL Fairmont Ghia, and I got near 780km a couple of times in my AU2 fairmont. Not even close in the FG2 xr6

I hope y'all are staying in the left lane,
Cruise control on 110. I can show you the fuel receipts if you like, with time stamps and town names and you can do the maths yourself. Not sure what the maximum range I've got from a tank is but you have to fuel where the fuel stops are.
Old 20-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #42
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
FG Ecoboost tuning (Horsepower Factory):

"Standard the 2.0L turbo 4-pot puts out 176kw & 353nm at the flywheel, with nothing more than loading the thing onto the dyno and remapping the factory ECU, we were able to liven it up to a calculated 235kw and 507nm!

A 30%+ increase in power and 40%+ increase in torque for $990 is not bad in anyones language and the EcoBoost Falcon will probably still return 8L/100km!"

https://www.facebook.com/HorsepowerF...6802542287739/
They do liven up with the tune. Had an FG MKii ecoboost. Ran great without the tune, and even better with the tune.

Yes there was a problem with the wastegate actuator which resulted in the entire turbo being replaced at no cost at 110,000km. Ford were good about it.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #43
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Cruise control on 110. I can show you the fuel receipts if you like, with time stamps and town names and you can do the maths yourself. Not sure what the maximum range I've got from a tank is but you have to fuel where the fuel stops are.
I'm not saying it ain't so (for you )
But for the OP going from 800-1000+km refuels in a tdci can be a bit of a shock should you start refuelling at 550-650km

I use to refuel at 1000-1200in the Mondeo tdci so moving to a car refuelling at 550km range was surprising given I had read comments about 7s ( which equates to refuelling at 850-950 km for the type of driving I do)

Oil doesn't go black as soon as you leave the driveway and services are 1/10th to 1/4 the cost now though so I've found my peace without a turbo diesel
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I'm not saying it ain't so (for you )
But for the OP going from 800-1000+km refuels in a tdci can be a bit of a shock should you start refuelling at 550-650km

I use to refuel at 1000-1200in the Mondeo tdci so moving to a car refuelling at 550km range was surprising given I had read comments about 7s ( which equates to refuelling at 850-950 km for the type of driving I do)

Oil doesn't go black as soon as you leave the driveway and services are 1/10th to 1/4 the cost now though so I've found my peace without a turbo diesel
With servicing costs I still have an account with a Ford dealership so I generally source my own oil and genuine filters from the dealership then my mechanical shop does the work.

TDCI Focus hasn't been overly expensive to maintain, the worst things I've done cost wise is a turbo followed by engine mounts.

Starter and alternator which I did last year cost about $400 each in parts but again I've still got trade accounts with various suppliers.

Filters and basic maintenance stuff have been pretty cheap, though it's a huge pain in the *** to work on compared to a Falcon so when it came up for the turbo (mounted between the firewall and the engine) timing belt, alternator and starter you cop it in labour.

It's when you come up for high pressure components like injection pump or injectors that you get bent over, mind you an Ecoboost engine has the expensive fuel system too - high pressure fuel pump and injectors being DI.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 20-04-2021 at 02:56 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2021, 03:10 PM   #45
Roger1960

Quote:

In early January, I drove from Adelaide to Edithburgh, which is on the Yorke Peninsula here in South Australia. My Falcon BF MK 2 Fairmont, measured full tank to full tank, did 7.71 L/100 KM cruising at 100 - 110 KM/H. That gives you a maximum range of 882 KM from a 68 litre tank.

I should add that I had ideal conditions for the trip, low 20's weather, mostly flat roads, light traffic etc. Falcons are great open road cruisers, and are certainly capable of good fuel economy, if you look after them and don't go over 110 KM/H
3 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Got our VF SV6 pool car at the moment, GM LFX engine - today's commute is a bit longer than usual as I'm working out of the SE Suburbs - 105km door to door with two traffic lights.

That's with my usual driving, so a few overtakes and cruising around 110-120km/h out regional and bringing it back when I'm in Melbourne.

Now I'm aware what the odometer says and what the real world says are probably two different things but reckon an Ecoboost Falcon would pull similar numbers? This VF has 200,000km on the clock, is filled with 98.

I hate the way this thing drives, it's got no torque under 4500 RPM and there's a huge dead zone on the throttle, you can't lean on the throttle you need more articulation of ankle to get it to respond to slight throttle inputs

The car itself is nice - except the stereo sucks and the seat is too wide and you sort of flop around in the seat.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 28-04-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 29-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #47
zilo
BANNED

I wouldn't buy either.
So easy to find a cheap C class diesel Merc wagon.
Uses stuff all fuel and such a better car.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2021, 05:17 PM   #48
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I wouldn't buy either.
So easy to find a cheap C class diesel Merc wagon.
Uses stuff all fuel and such a better car.
I don’t think the OP wants the complexity of a Merc and it’s servicing needs.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2021, 11:27 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
I don’t think the OP wants the complexity of a Merc and it’s servicing needs.
No European brands for me thanks, I used to be all fillet mignon but now I'm a fan of the cheaper cuts

Though, keen on another LWB 7 series as a weekender but 12 cylinders next time me thinks.
Old 30-04-2021, 01:28 AM   #50
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was it e32 or e38 you wanted?
There's a couple of 750is around now (shorts). Hard to find the non stretched/non 'L' ones

Of course there's heaps of newer ones, but I don't look at anything beyond e46 3er, e39 5er or e38 7er. (prefer e21/e30, E24, E28/E34, E32)

OH, the e32 already gone. Only listed 2 days ago - Got to be all over bmw FB groups for these.

Last edited by oldel; 30-04-2021 at 01:33 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2021, 07:28 AM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Was it e32 or e38 you wanted?
There's a couple of 750is around now (shorts). Hard to find the non stretched/non 'L' ones

Of course there's heaps of newer ones, but I don't look at anything beyond e46 3er, e39 5er or e38 7er. (prefer e21/e30, E24, E28/E34, E32)

OH, the e32 already gone. Only listed 2 days ago - Got to be all over bmw FB groups for these.
I had an E38 735iL Highline - the last variation before the new model

Either or - E32 or E38 but only LWB,

New daily first though
Old 30-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #52
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Got our VF SV6 pool car at the moment, GM LFX engine - today's commute is a bit longer than usual as I'm working out of the SE Suburbs - 105km door to door with two traffic lights.

That's with my usual driving, so a few overtakes and cruising around 110-120km/h out regional and bringing it back when I'm in Melbourne.

Now I'm aware what the odometer says and what the real world says are probably two different things but reckon an Ecoboost Falcon would pull similar numbers? This VF has 200,000km on the clock, is filled with 98.

I hate the way this thing drives, it's got no torque under 4500 RPM and there's a huge dead zone on the throttle, you can't lean on the throttle you need more articulation of ankle to get it to respond to slight throttle inputs

The car itself is nice - except the stereo sucks and the seat is too wide and you sort of flop around in the seat.
Sub-7 is pretty good figures for the VF.

I drove a VF Calais V 3.6 from Melbourne back to Adelaide, with climate on I was getting 7.0/100 with cruise set on 106km/h in 100km/h zones in Victoria (because scared by stories of your cops having no leniency), then getting 7.8/100 with cruise set on 122km/h once I got into SA's 110 zones.

Only had one suitcase and doubt Calais V has too much more weight that SV6. Calais V has 19s, maybe SV6 has 18s?? Or maybe the Calais V was a bit tired but only had 83k km on it.

Oh yeah, wide seat was no issue for my barge-****
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #53
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I had an E38 735iL Highline - the last variation before the new model

Either or - E32 or E38 but only LWB,

New daily first though
I too prefer LWB. But I think the 7 series and S Class look a bit weird with their excessively long rear doors.
I missed out on a low km E38 740i with the Msport kit and staggered alloys.
But I picked up this E32 740i for a steal.
Will get in the 9s at a steady 90-100k cruise.
The old e34 540i I had could get mid 8s.
The E32 is a great cruiser. Not that quick though, especially compared to the M62 4.4 in the E38. But the M60 it was probably the last bullet proof engine BMW made.
Instead of spending big to save fuel.
Buy an old 7 which has already done it depreciation, the extra 3l per 100 fuel it uses will be small change in comparison to a higher outlay for a more efficient car that will continue to depreciate.

smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2021, 04:40 PM   #54
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, but the problem with driving a Benz or a BMW is that someone might see you in it. You wouldn't want that.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2021, 04:46 PM   #55
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Yeah, but the problem with driving a Benz or a BMW is that someone might see you in it. You wouldn't want that.

Dr Terry
At least you don't have to indicate... Although those traits are making their way in to most suv and trade type vehicles now.
Old 30-04-2021, 11:07 PM   #56
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've done 110k km now in the FG2 and love its simplicty. Just get use to filling up 550-650k km if you sit on 110+ km/h regularly. I feel like it'll last mechanically until 3-400k km easily with highway driving, its probably closer to 700k km in reality...

I get low 8s with purely highway driving with my FG at 110. I have a mate who had an FG2 who claimed 7s, but whether that was being slightly newer, tuned, or a bit of an exaggeration I couldn't say.

When I drive from Brisbane to Winton I'll fill up at Roma and then at Barcaldine, although once Barcaldine had no fuel so I pushed on to Longreach. Just about 700km, and I was probably doing 80 from Ilfracombe onwards. Probably would have made it at 110, still had a little bit of range left according to the trip computer.

Also, 420k, still going strong.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2021, 11:28 PM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Barra appears to be a little less efficient than the GM LFX (3.6L V6)

Makes me wonder if its the direct injection vs port injection thing even though the Barra makes more torque (and lower down)

Oh well, to put it into perspective a couple months back I limped the company Commodore 120km back to work in limp mode when it crapped its fuel system out on me a little out of Bendigo, it did both the in tank pump module and the high pressure fuel pump on the engine.

Drive in drive out $3000 with a minor service and intake gaskets, I think the high pressure fuel pump was only $600, which I thought was pretty damn cheap for that kind of thing compared to the diesel variants anyway (My Focus injection pump is $1800 to me and I have a trade account with Ford )

I reckon it'll be up for timing chains next, you can hear it at idle and when it first starts up its a bit rattly until the tensioner must take up some slack.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:19 AM   #58
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me Ecoboost for short-mid term, EcoLPI long term.

Has anyone done serious mods on the Ecoboost though? I'd be keen to see it.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2021, 10:50 AM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post

Only modded 2L Ecoboost cars Ive seen are Focus ST.

There's a few tuned Ecoboost Falcons around but no one's gone to the level of turbo upgrades and aux fuelling the likes that the Focus ST crowd have done
Old 01-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #60
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post

Wouldn't gas be a bad long term option?

I'm sure I read something recently saying that as service stations get to the point they need to replace their gas tanks, they're just not doing it.

My nephew had an ecopli Falcon, and my brother raved about how good it is and encouraged me to get a gas powered something. The problem being there's no gas for about 500km from where I live, and I imagine that's only going to get worse, not better.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: