Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
Shaddolf

Default Ford Roadside vs NRMA

A couple of months ago I bought my first Ford - a used 2013 FG XR6

I recall reading somewhere that Ford vehicles under 7 years have some sort of roadside assist included?

Today I received my renewal from NRMA for their roadside assistance service - which I have had since I started driving 10 years ago and have used a few times.

When I bought my used car, am I automatically now covered by the Ford roadside or do I need to do/pay something?

How does the cover compare to NRMA? I live in central NSW

It was bought from a Ford dealer and has a sticker on it for capped price servicing and the number to call for Ford roadside, but I do not seem to have any sort of member number?

Just need to know if I should be paying the $110 to NRMA or if the Ford coverage will suffice, cheers!
Shaddolf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
mr_xlr8
GT-P Whitey

Default Re: Ford Roadside vs NRMA

Pay the NRMA. Ford has enough problems.

Current ride:
FG MKI 5.0L S/C 6SP Auto = 9.5/10

Previous Rides:
FG MKII GT-P 5.0L S/C 6SP MANUAL = 9/10
AU III 5 SPEED BLUEPRINT XR8 220KW= 8/10
BA XR8 BOSS 260 BLUEPRINT = 3/10
EB FAIRMONT WINDSOR 302 BURGUNDY = 6/10
mr_xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Ford servicing gives you 12 month road side assist.....which they will more then likely use NRMA. The dealer put a sticker on my car after the last service.

If you don't service your car through Ford you don't get it....unless you buy it new then you get it for 1 yr.
Old 23-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
Lewy950
Starter Motor

The Ford roadside is NRMA. They sign you up then you get an NRMA card in the mail.
Lewy950 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
Shaddolf

Well the car was serviced by the dealer just before I bought it. Should that mean I have 12months cover from that date? I will service the car with Ford later this year when it was due - and if they just give you free NRMA cover, sounds like there is zero benefit from paying the NRMA premium?
Old 23-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #6
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddolf View Post
Well the car was serviced by the dealer just before I bought it. Should that mean I have 12months cover from that date? I will service the car with Ford later this year when it was due - and if they just give you free NRMA cover, sounds like there is zero benefit from paying the NRMA premium?
I've had 2 call outs with my cars and I got a NRMA service car turn up. If you get the car serviced by Ford, the give you a little card that has the details of your car and the expiry of the service. I think you get a new card every time you services it. Even if you dont have the card, they will have record of the number plate/make model, etc..

I used it as recently as last Sunday night when my missus ran the LPG car out of gas (Hot day, said it had 15 kms to empty, ran out 3 kms from the servo). They organised with NRMA then they organised a tow truck to come out and tow us to the servo. Fantastic and FREE!!

Think Ford might structure it as a per call out to NRMA rather than paying your subscription for you (how many times do new cars break down?!).
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
lelandnine
LEELEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy950 View Post
The Ford roadside is NRMA. They sign you up then you get an NRMA card in the mail.
Here in SA, Ford roadside assist is The RAA. Mrs just got her card in the mail after Kuga service 2 months ago
lelandnine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's all done by contractors nowadays, not worth paying NRMA's exhorbitent ripoff fee. Just about all new cars afaik come with standard roadside assist for the duration of the warranty and then after that you can keep on extending it for a reasonable fee. We've been with contractor used by Ford for years now. They're fine.

Edit: if some of you have had NRMA turn up then its obviously the contractor in that area. Ours is another company. Ford dealer also arranged the same scheme for our BMW. The dealer is simply the agent.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
cram_it_frog
wombat

Hi how is the car going

before jumping into ford road service work out what they offer

you live in the country so you will need a decent towing limit and service calls

As you know I am in Broken Hill and I have premium RAA 200 k tow limit unlike 30k on basic

I am not sure about Dubbo or where you live in it is a contractor or NRMA guys I know the local Guy in Broken Hill is BP south

Things a great here I was going to take my car to a car wash today we are on water restriction s but I fixed a guys computer this morning so he bought me a carton if VB which I am tast testing now

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
Binny

In QLD you get RACQ membership. After I got my first service at the dealer I got an RACQ card in the mail. Its standard cover so if you want the larger tow distances and stuff you can upgrade it for a fee.
I'd imagine its done similar in other states.
Old 23-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #11
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
The roadside assistance is assigned to the owner's name so the owner can transfer the membership to another car if they wish. The roadside assistance does not pass along with the car.

Here in Qld, we get RACQ membership so as I was a member of RACQ already, I just tacked on the Ford free membership so that saves me $90 a year. The only thing with the Ford free roadside is that it lasts either 12 months or till if you get your car serviced before then. I get to 15K in around 10 months.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-01-2015, 06:43 PM   #12
cram_it_frog
wombat

what level of cover I see they offer standard road side assistance

if that is all they offer them it is as useless as tits on a bull once you leave the city

As i said before I have top RAA cover now if I break down in 30 ks from Adelaide I can ask to have the Broken Hill road service guy come down to Adelaide and pick me and my car up and take it home

They will use the tow limit and 2 nights accommodation to cover it for me that is great I do not have to spend time in Adelaide I do not want to

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned

Old 24-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #13
nitro50th

If you're not sure, just give the NRMA a ring.

When i was in an RACV shop organising insurance, they knew all about my car (now sold) being serviced by Ford and covered by Roadside Assist.

It was all on their computer, i told them nothing.
nitro50th is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #14
staity

Keep NRMA i had 3 years roadside with FORD when i bought my ute and 18months into i had an issue rang them up and because my plates weren't on the system they couldn't help me. Didn't even want to help me, had to organize my own tow truck at my expense. took it up with the dealer who just shrugged and said theres nothing i can do. Walked out and never returned.

2013 Ford Kuga Titanium Gunmetal Grey
staity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #15
Shaddolf

Ok so just to update everyone on what happened and as a reference for anyone in the future in the same situation.

After speaking to both Ford and NRMA, they have confirmed that I have free roadside for 12months from the date before I purchased the vehicle when it was serviced (28/11/14) and they have rolled that onto my current membership. So I maintain my full NRMA cover without having to pay for anything and it will extend as long as I get a Ford service by then
4 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by staity View Post
Keep NRMA i had 3 years roadside with FORD when i bought my ute and 18months into i had an issue rang them up and because my plates weren't on the system they couldn't help me. Didn't even want to help me, had to organize my own tow truck at my expense. took it up with the dealer who just shrugged and said theres nothing i can do. Walked out and never returned.
Did you happen to get a custom plate after buying car? Perhaps that is why the plates weren't in the system.

I got offered free roadside assist at my 15,000kms service even though I bought the car from another dealer. I agreed to free roadside and a week later I got a letter from the NRMA, which also had the Ford logo on on it which was my roadside assist starter info.

I read this forum couple of years ago that Ford don't do free roadside assist on the Ranger
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #17
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Did you happen to get a custom plate after buying car? Perhaps that is why the plates weren't in the system.

I read this forum couple of years ago that Ford don't do free roadside assist on the Ranger
According to the Ford website right now, you do get free roadside when you do a capped price service on a Ford Ranger.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
According to the Ford website right now, you do get free roadside when you do a capped price service on a Ford Ranger.
You get them with all cars under the capped servicing.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #19
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi does anyone know how much a service with Ford is
the one that will get you the roadside assistance
or should I just join the RACQ
Ive retired now and dont fancy walking to a servo if I run out of fuel
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #20
Shaddolf

You can use this page to calculate the cost of the service:

http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/myf...rs/cappedprice

Now that I know I save $110 a year from servicing with them, I don't think anyone else could compete on price without compromising quality.

BTW my car was serviced by the dealer before I bought it at 23000km. The sticker on my windscreen says next service due at 40000km.

Capped price only has options for 30k and 45k, should I push it do 45k or get the 45k service done at 40k? Or the 30k at the 40k?
Old 03-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #21
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Yes our Ranger is covered by the Ford roadside service and because they didn't have our second remote programmed the day we picked the Kuga up they gave us five years complimentary roadside assist without even asking. Some Ford dealers do look after there loyal customers.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

Quote:

BTW my car was serviced by the dealer before I bought it at 23000km. The sticker on my windscreen says next service due at 40000km.

Capped price only has options for 30k and 45k, should I push it do 45k or get the 45k service done at 40k? Or the 30k at the 40k?

why was it serviced at 23k? service intervals are 15000km/12months, so not sure why your car is out of kilter with that. did the first service get done at 15k?
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy950 View Post
maybe i should look into this a bit to save myself some money. last service, i was asked if i was an NRMA (RAA) member, which i am, so they put a line through the '12 month roadside assist' option.

if i'm not a member already, do ford pay for my membership?? (as long as i service with them) sounds like i'm paying out of my own pocket for something i could get for free.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #24
Shaddolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
maybe i should look into this a bit to save myself some money. last service, i was asked if i was an NRMA (RAA) member, which i am, so they put a line through the '12 month roadside assist' option.

if i'm not a member already, do ford pay for my membership?? (as long as i service with them) sounds like i'm paying out of my own pocket for something i could get for free.
Yep they pay, so do what I did and get it sorted out!

Also my car's 22500 service was done at 24300 when I bought it (not 23k) and it is marked that the next one due is at 40k, skipping the 30k in the book. Thing is, in the book it goes 30k then 40k, when on the capped price servicing website it says 40k is not an option?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:19 AM   #25
prydey
Rob

22500km is an interim service and not required under normal conditions. All A and B services are at 15000 intervals so not sure which book you have that says 40k. service.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:50 AM   #26
Shaddolf

They probably just wanted to make sure it was serviced before selling.

You are right, I meant 45k service. My sticker says next due at 40k. So at 40k which service do I ask for? the 45k one? Should I wait until my car gets to 45k?
Old 04-02-2015, 02:34 AM   #27
prydey
Rob

How many km do you do in 12 months? It doesn't matter if the km don't match up exactly with the ones in the book, just as long as the intervals are within cooee of the recommendations. If it's just been serviced then your good for 12 months at any rate.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #28
Shaddolf

I've done a lot more these last couple of months than usual, but probably average 20k
Old 04-02-2015, 10:49 AM   #29
cram_it_frog
wombat

I would just do a oil and filter every 5 k and a service every 15 that is my plan

when I had my last oil change I asked for a diff oil change at 163k and it was filthy god knows when it was last changed

the diff is one of the most important part of the car and the one that is least maintained because of its location

What Ford s have I owned

Old 16-11-2020, 11:34 PM   #30
Msavige
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8 View Post
Yes our Ranger is covered by the Ford roadside service and because they didn't have our second remote programmed the day we picked the Kuga up they gave us five years complimentary roadside assist without even asking. Some Ford dealers do look after there loyal customers.
They give 7 years if you get the servicing done through FORD
Msavige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post