Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 5000th RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Ranger could have all 3 if they combined spec. US Ranger has rear window to cab, raptor has coils, and US is rumoured to be getting more powerful petrols.
True but we will never seen a US spec Ranger in Australia.
Unless this whole US pickup thing kicks off properly then ford will be forced to give Australia what it wants.

As for people saying coils reduce carrying and towing capacity, that’s fine by me. A Ute would be handy for me but I don’t need to carry heavy weight or tow big loads.
I look at the number of utes in my work car park. I know half these people don’t throw 1000kgs in the tray or tow 3500kgs. I’m surprised that the Navara is the only Ute sold in Australia with coils in the rear. Especially since utes seem to be the new default family car.

I actually drove a Ute for the first time today in several months. I forgot how rough the leaf suspension is with no weight on the back.

Last edited by Ben73; 31-12-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Unless this whole US pickup thing kicks off properly then ford will be forced to give Australia what it wants.

As for people saying coils reduce carrying and towing capacity, that’s fine by me. A Ute would be handy for me but I don’t need to carry heavy weight or tow big loads.
I look at the number of utes in my work car park. I know half these people don’t throw 1000kgs in the tray or tow 3500kgs. I’m surprised that the Navara is the only Ute sold in Australia with coils in the rear. Especially since utes seem to be the new default family car.

I actually drove a Ute for the first time today in several months. I forgot how rough the leaf suspension is with no weight on the back.
They've even got drums on the back axles, it's not so much that they can't offer something with coils on the back, it's that customers are happy with cheap nasty vehicles sold at huge profit margins so they won't come to the party with significant engineering changes.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They've even got drums on the back axles, it's not so much that they can't offer something with coils on the back, it's that customers are happy with cheap nasty vehicles sold at huge profit margins so they won't come to the party with significant engineering changes.
Agreed, the astute Aussie is his or hers own worst enemy, too busy making excuses for why their preferred option doesn't come with what it should rather than refuse to buy what's forced upon them until it does.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 5000th RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Agreed, the astute Aussie is his or hers own worst enemy, too busy making excuses for why their preferred option doesn't come with what it should rather than refuse to buy what's forced upon them until it does.

I don’t know whether to describe the situation as confirmation bias or Stockholm Syndrome. I’m leaning to the latter given the garbage offered by the vehicle companies in Australia. There’s no good reason why the consumer isn’t able to walk into a Ford dealership in Oz and purchase a F Truck with all the bells and whistles available. Instead, we’re sold this Taiwanese plastic junk designed in Oz, built overseas in 3rd world countries and pay 1st world rates for it.

No wonder companies like Ford and Government Motors is on the nose.
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
I don’t know whether to describe the situation as confirmation bias or Stockholm Syndrome. I’m leaning to the latter given the garbage offered by the vehicle companies in Australia. There’s no good reason why the consumer isn’t able to walk into a Ford dealership in Oz and purchase a F Truck with all the bells and whistles available. Instead, we’re sold this Taiwanese plastic junk designed in Oz, built overseas in 3rd world countries and pay 1st world rates for it.

Remember when VDC and Ford USA tried to do contracted pricing on F series and Ford Australia stepped in to block it?
Old 31-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #6
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Remember when VDC and Ford USA tried to do contracted pricing on F series and Ford Australia stepped in to block it?

It would be good if Ford US just shut down Ford Oz and engaged an importing agent to import Ford US vehicles here. Engage another company to do the RHD conversions. Consumers can then buy pretty much what ever Ford US has on offer rather than the current crop of garbage.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It would be good if Ford US just shut down Ford Oz and engaged an importing agent to import Ford US vehicles here. Engage another company to do the RHD conversions. Consumers can then buy pretty much what ever Ford US has on offer rather than the current crop of garbage.
That makes no sense, cause it’s the yanks unwillingness to build rhd f series that is stopping it coming here. It’s not FoA stopping it.

Yanks are flat chat with f series production just supplying north america. They don’t give 2 ****s about selling a couple thousand a year in australia. Complete woftam for them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don't think Thailand is a third world country
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I'm surprised how much crap Thailand cops considering that US quality was terrible for years and probably isnt much better now.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
I'm surprised how much crap Thailand cops considering that US quality was terrible for years and probably isnt much better now.
It isn't it's still rubbish.
Old 31-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

The problem isn't with the supplier only supplying Ranger at a mark up, the problem is the buyer signing up to it.
Stop buying their cash cow and they'll take notice.
This user likes this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
They've even got drums on the back axles,
And?

So do heavy vehicles...
Old 31-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
And?

So do heavy vehicles...
Are they air operated with a booster on each one?
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Are they air operated with a booster on each one?
It wouldn't matter. There would be something else to pick on if they were.

Folks just love to hate dual cabs on here. Mostly because they contradict everything they thought they knew about the buying public. Big engines and going fast don't matter to Joe public.
Old 31-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #15
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Folks just love to hate dual cabs on here. Mostly because they contradict everything they thought they knew about the buying public. Big engines and going fast don't matter to Joe public.
Yep I hate them cause Joe public thinks it perfectly alright to load them to (and over) capacity which effects other road users.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yep I hate them cause Joe public thinks it perfectly alright to load them to (and over) capacity which effects other road users.
yes, i'm aware many like to tar all with the same brush due to the actions of a few...
Old 31-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

I don't hate dual cabs because of buying trends, I just think the small ones aren't the answer to all like some do.
Bigger is better, the only people who think otherwise want a 2.0l to be a performance engine.
When I mentioned the 2.0l Ranger to old mate he just laughed.
Old 31-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #18
prydey
Rob

I just figured the buying public buy the cars they want. No one has a gun to their head when making the decision. They choose the car they think will suit their purpose. Its pretty simple.

Others can sit back on a forum and speculate as to the reasons why certain vehicles are purchased, or comment on buying trends, but at the end of the day, the public choose freely.
Old 31-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
And?

So do heavy vehicles...
Except Euro prime movers like Scania, Iveco, Volvo etc.

Even the newer trailers have discs

You know why the passenger vehicle market moved away from drums decades ago? Because they suck compared to discs.

They're only used on micro segment cars to save costs and on Thailand specials because they're cheap junk.

By your methodology I look forward to seeing the new GT500 Mustang with a Holley 750 XP and a C4.

Maybe even place a pre-order with your Nokia phone.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 31-12-2019 at 03:47 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #20
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nice specs in 2019! If someone out there produces an XW shape ute with leaves, drums on the rear (plus obligatory bench seat) and a V8 in 2019, I'm buying it!
Old 31-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #21
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

The point is, for those who do regularly tow big weights, they now have an option which covers all bases with room to move, rather than maxing out on a Thai special.
For those who just want a ute, they can get a ute, those who need 4x4 can get one in 4x4, those who don't can get a 4x2 hi rise for clearance and for those who need all of that plus tow a big float or van, a RAM.

Aren't we blessed.