Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #61
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: RAM 1500 coming to Australia priced from $80k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
Cant see it doing well with the petrol motor

Look at the y62 patrol with no diesel option - almost giving them away and barely seen a handful on the road
Because many Australians still think paying 10k extra on the purchase price then paying more on service costs to save less than 1k on fuel a year is a good idea. Then they sell it after a few years before they even break even on buying a diesel.

That's not even taking into account what repairs cost for a blown turbo or new injectors or replacing the DPF because you only drove around town for a month.

Diesels have some great benefits. That doesn't mean they will cost less to run in the short term.

On actual topic I would buy this over an XClass any day of the week. Finally saw an X Class for the first time last week and it looked weird. They have strange proportions. I think full size pickups like the Ram have a much nicer look.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #62
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those V8 Nissan Patrols are monsters, the fact something that heavy does 0-100 in 6.6 seconds is hilarious.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #63
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
No way in hell one of those is gonna be sipping fuel at 9.9l... That's fantasy land figures.
yep, around town it will be over 20lph
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2018, 10:06 PM   #64
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
yep, around town it will be over 20lph
My Caprice does 17.5L/100km on the highway and my 1981 F100 did 35L/100km and it ran dry and stopped on the side of the highway after managing a whole 170km.

I'm seeing a lot of 'fuel hungry yank tank' rather than 'current generation American ute 57% more efficient than previous generation competitors giving significant green credentials validating RAM's ISO 140001 accreditation and commitment to a cleaner world' ;)
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2018, 12:42 AM   #65
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
No way in hell one of those is gonna be sipping fuel at 9.9l... That's fantasy land figures.
I think its possible if one doesn't hold it flat everywhere.
Friends of ours has an older 2013 model with the six speed and he gets 800km to its 100l tank although his commuting is mostly motorway.

Last time I was in the states I had an Expedition with the EB V6 and 6 speed auto, averaged 19.7 mpg (11.9 l/100km) over around 4000 miles and if I wasn't doing 75-90 mph down the interstates it was been used in towns/cities. In Aus @ 110kmh it would drop under 10 l/100km.

Last edited by smoo; 15-06-2018 at 12:50 AM.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #66
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
My Caprice does 17.5L/100km on the highway and my 1981 F100 did 35L/100km and it ran dry and stopped on the side of the highway after managing a whole 170km.

I'm seeing a lot of 'fuel hungry yank tank' rather than 'current generation American ute 57% more efficient than previous generation competitors giving significant green credentials validating RAM's ISO 140001 accreditation and commitment to a cleaner world' ;)
My 10 year old VE SS wagon 6.0L will do under 10L/100km on a highway trip, and sits on 11.8L/100km with mixed driving. That’s a 2 tonne wagon with 2 valve heads and pushrods, and I don’t drive it like a grandma either.

I don’t see why a modern engine couldn’t beat this, even if a little heavier and less aerodynamic.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #67
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Finally saw an X Class for the first time last week and it looked weird. They have strange proportions. I think full size pickups like the Ram have a much nicer look.
I reckon all those TTT 4 wheel drive, 4 door utes look weird at least these are proportioned to the wheelbase.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #68
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in Houston TX this week.
Never seen so many 'yank tanks' in one place before.

Many of them have aftermarket wheels and suspension kits.

The worst thing is that 90% of them has one person in them, no load, on their way to their office jobs, and battling through rush hour traffic.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #69
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
I'm in Houston TX this week.
Never seen so many 'yank tanks' in one place before.

Many of them have aftermarket wheels and suspension kits.

The worst thing is that 90% of them has one person in them, no load, on their way to their office jobs, and battling through rush hour traffic.

Cheers,
Sounds just like here.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #70
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Sounds just like here.
Spot on. At least the tank gear gets moving and sounds good when you put your foot down... unlike the small capacity wheezing diesels polluting our roads that would get trumped by a pov spec VW gold from the lights.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2018, 08:10 PM   #71
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

17.5 on the highway? What were you in second gear the whole time or was there a leak in the tank?

I used to have a 300c with the 5.7L hemi.
On the highway I would get low 7's and about 13 around town.
I know the Ram is heavier and less aerodynamic, but I would hope they have made the engine more efficient in the past 12 years since my 300c was built.

If I got 7s on the highway he hen I can't see why a Ram wouldn't get 9.9 now.

My numbers were based of the trip computer, but when I checked it at the pump a few times it was always pretty close to the trip computer number. Around town I was even using 0.5L less than the computer said when I checked
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2018, 10:47 PM   #72
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
17.5 on the highway? What were you in second gear the whole time or was there a leak in the tank?
Go for a ride with Mr Cozzo, I have. You'll soon work out how he obtains the excellent fuel consumption
Old 15-06-2018, 10:58 PM   #73
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yay more over sized soccer mum trucks. I remember a time when you used to be able to see in front of the Ford or Holden ute ahead of you
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #74
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
My 10 year old VE SS wagon 6.0L will do under 10L/100km on a highway trip, and sits on 11.8L/100km with mixed driving. That’s a 2 tonne wagon with 2 valve heads and pushrods, and I don’t drive it like a grandma either.

I don’t see why a modern engine couldn’t beat this, even if a little heavier and less aerodynamic.
My old VT2 Gen 3 did 7.9L/100 on the highway. A true combined average of about 13.3. Not bad, but the chassis was a piece of **** and had more power than it was really designed for. Not a lot of power by today’s standards though.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #75
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If F150 had the Range Rover's 4.4 V8 diesel, I think that could attract top end truck buyers.
in our market, you really need a strong diesel in a bigger truck to attract enough buyers.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #76
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FINALLY a dual cab ute with a decent rear tray size!
Old 16-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #77
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
You might be surprised. They are becoming popular with some grey nomads. A lot cheaper than the series 200 Landcruiser, fuel economy similar to them towing and a lot better payload. You might be surprised the number of Landcriser owners selling 200 series and buying Y62 Patrol and very happy they changed.
When the Series 300 comes out soon it has been reported that it will only be available in a petrol(probably 5.7 ltrs) and the Ram and Patrol will be on par with the Toyota.
Tending to agree with this: NA petrol in the 4wd wagon with far reduced servicing costs, and more reliable units. No 1K injectors, no dust blowing into it and stuffing it, no add blue, no sulphur requirements, and you get all that torque and nice linear response. Auto + petrol grunt on sand is fun!

So there's the Patrol, the 4.6 URJ Toyota petrol V8, now this.

A real opportunity for Ford US here to make Ford Oz lineup great again!
(F150, F250, Explorer, Expedition, and that gorgeous Lincoln Aviator too.)
Old 26-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #78
Gumboot

So explain this to me.

In the US on a 2018 Ram, the RamBoxes is a $1295 USD option.
On the new 2019 Ram ( that we dont get yet) it has been reduced to a $995 USD option.

Yet on the Australian import it is $4400 AUD option. And they dont need any left to right hand converison. So why the obvious money grab on this option to the australian Rams....
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #79
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Ive also heard of one long term Landcruiser owner going to a petrol Landcruiser, as diesels have gotten too complex and expensive to fix. Money isnt an issue for this person but its the reliability as there are some issues with modern diesels now.
This.

Diesels are great for long haul or heavy loads or both.

Yes the petrol versions use more fuel, but they are cheaper to run in every other way. And if your stop start, modern diesels with EGR & DPF are a disaster. Anything less than 25,000 km per annum and there is no benefit.

If your were set on a RAM you for towing youcould always pay the extra and get a 2500 with the Cummins diesel.
Old 28-06-2018, 06:26 AM   #80
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
If F150 had the Range Rover's 4.4 V8 diesel, I think that could attract top end truck buyers.
in our market, you really need a strong diesel in a bigger truck to attract enough buyers.
No real advantage to the 4.4. It’s not significant less costly to produce than a 6.7. No real fuel economy advantage. Maybe a tiny bit. That’s why FCA rejected the 5.0L V8 Cummins that went to Nissan. I suppose if you were going to sell the F150 in a particular market without offering the F250, then the 4.4 could make sense.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #81
Dodge
i like to be stroked

i took the express 1500 out the other day , drove nice , was easy to park, i am looking up changing my holden colorado so i started to look at my options re ram, amerok , wildtrack . so far the ram was basic inside, no standard options like reverse camera, rear window dimister , sat nav but i never use dimisters in qld, and the sat nav on most cars sucks thats why we all use google maps . im not sure if buying a 2014 modle car will be a good idea as the 2019 rams will be here by 2020 and they have a V6 version thats doing 26 mpg .
I will take the VW out this week and see how that goes , also on the ram express no twin exhaust and only in 3.92 diffs , but in the usa they are stock fitted with 3.21 and the options are 3.55 and 3.92. with a final drive ratio of 2.63 with the 3.92 and a 8 speed box
Old 12-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #82
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
i took the express 1500 out the other day , drove nice , was easy to park,
Stopped reading your review at easy to Park.

Sorry I can see how something that big can be easy to park they don't even fit in a parallel park space
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #83
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Stopped reading your review at easy to Park.

Sorry I can see how something that big can be easy to park they don't even fit in a parallel park space
Take some driving lessons in something bigger than a Fiesta?
5 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #84
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
I think he said they don't fit, not that he couldn't park it!
Old 13-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #85
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Nothing to do with Skills Bud

"Easy to park" includes being able to find a place to park. RAMS, F150's Silverado's etc just don't fit in Australian carparks or your average garage.

Cant believe 3 people liked your comment
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #86
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Nothing to do with Skills Bud

"Easy to park" includes being able to find a place to park. RAMS, F150's Silverado's etc just don't fit in Australian carparks or your average garage.

Cant believe 3 people liked your comment
My F150 crew cab parks around Sydney and suburbs just fine. I can even drive into the domain underground parking lot. So your point is again ??
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #87
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you can drive into a particular underground carpark I'm not from Sydney so cant say I know it.
But Sydney Guide lines give parking bay dimension of 5.4M long or 6M for a parallel (which would include have to get in/out)

I can assure you you wont fit in a Melbourne Airport park and probably use the Trailer parking area at Bunnings
Old 13-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #88
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Can someone explain what the appeal of this car is? Expensive, useless in the suburbs, can't carry a tonne and looks like something from over 10 years ago. Sure it can pull a lot but unless you are living out in the sticks or own a massive boat what is the point?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #89
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Can someone explain what the appeal of this car is? Expensive, useless in the suburbs, can't carry a tonne and looks like something from over 10 years ago. Sure it can pull a lot but unless you are living out in the sticks or own a massive boat what is the point?

Sounds like the same argument against any Australian made v8.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #90
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
Sounds like the same argument against any Australian made v8.
Or the Raptor, expensive, pointless in the suburbs, cant carry a tonne, cant compete with other dual cabs for towing capabilities and virtually pointless unless you live in the sticks.
It does look modern though.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post