Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #1471
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

The warranty is set by Ford, not the DP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I know its been part of Ford's promotional activities to display the Raptor's capabilities, but I wonder how many people forking out 80k are going to willingly subject their new pickup truck to abusive behavior like "jumping".

Similar to a Range Rover being supremely capable off road but never subjected to such work because it would scratch the paint of the owners new 200k car.
Buyers of these types of vehicles are not normally that dumb, they know the difference between
advertising under controlled conditions and going rank in the wild with no back up support.
People buying these vehicles will be asking all sorts of questions and will probably be invited
to advanced field days to explore the safe limits of their vehicles...(like FPV used to...)

Last edited by jpd80; 12-09-2018 at 08:43 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #1472
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
It will be interesting to hear from those that get them if its warranty has such a rider. Prospective buyers would be wise to clarify this and perhaps get anything said to the contrary in writing before taking delivery.

No need, one can argue "fit for purpose". Ford have no business denying warranty if someone avails themselves to the 'performance' this vehicle is based on.

The ACCC wouldn't have an issue taking on Ford, I believe they're quite successful. The Powershift drama is just one example.

Go ahead, buy one, do jumps in it. It's what it's been marketed on and built for.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #1473
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I know its been part of Ford's promotional activities to display the Raptor's capabilities, but I wonder how many people forking out 80k are going to willingly subject their new pickup truck to abusive behavior like "jumping".

Similar to a Range Rover being supremely capable off road but never subjected to such work because it would scratch the paint of the owners new 200k car.
I reckon most Range Rover buyers would be scared to get mud on their floor mats
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #1474
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu66et View Post
I reckon most Range Rover buyers would be scared to get mud on their floor mats
My thoughts exactly.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #1475
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
No need, one can argue "fit for purpose". Ford have no business denying warranty if someone avails themselves to the 'performance' this vehicle is based on.

The ACCC wouldn't have an issue taking on Ford, I believe they're quite successful. The Powershift drama is just one example.

Go ahead, buy one, do jumps in it. It's what it's been marketed on and built for.
Exactly.
This from the Ranger Raptor Brochure:

Quote:
We designed Ranger Raptor’s entire frame to be ultra-durable and to handle punishing surface drop-offs most other truckssimply can’t survive. 283mm of ground clearance puts ample space between you and almost any
off-road obstacle. A 32.5° approach angle, 24° departure angle, and 24° break-over angle help you tackle harsh gradients, and class-leading 850mm water wading makes light work of epic river crossings.3.

Quote:
Race-Bred Suspension
Ranger Raptor’s suspension system was calibrated to tackle tough terrain.
Standard 2.5-inch FOX Racing Shocks deliver 30% more wheel travel compared to Ranger.
Quote:
Huge Bash Plate
Ranger Raptor’s underbody shield is mammoth. Its 2.3mm thick high strength
steel is designed to absorb the impact from almost any off-road event.

Quote:
1. Warranty conditions apply. 5 year/unlimited km Ford Express New Vehicles Warranty applies to new, demonstrator and service loaner vehicles delivered from 1 May 2018. Our goods come with consumer guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. Our warranty does not limit and may not exceed your rights under those guarantees.
Old 13-09-2018, 07:12 AM   #1476
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Foxx Shocks will have a life expectancy on them in kilometres, just like the F150 Raptors do, so at the service time they will be added to the service cost. If they fail before that time it will be a warranty claim.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #1477
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When are they actually available? Have any actually hit dealers yet?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #1478
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
This suggests they are available already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit
My neighbour rolled home in one a few nights ago and it looks mint!!!!!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #1479
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just one more

It's official. Should have found this earlier.

"If you've been following our coverage of the Ford Ranger Raptor, you may notice a familiar theme – it does jumps. But, don't expect to be covered by the warranty if you break it.

"Ross explained that while it's capable of this type of driving, Ford wouldn't warrant any vehicles that were clearly abusing the vehicle in this way beyond its regular use.

"What we've done is, if you're an experienced driver and you're driving at your limit off road .. we've made sure that it can take that kind of abuse. But we can't warrant it for [excessive stunts]."

Seems clear enough but the point is, it is possible if something breaks when driving at your limit then you could be on your own as Ford will determine if in their opinion it was as a result of excessive stunts, which could have a very wide interpretation !!!.

I know my limit would see it getting some air so would it be covered

Note some of the readers comments below.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/670648/...stunt-driving/
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #1480
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Just one more

"If you've been following our coverage of the Ford Ranger Raptor, you may notice a familiar theme – it does jumps. But, don't expect to be covered by the warranty if you break it.

"Ross explained that while it's capable of this type of driving, Ford wouldn't warrant any vehicles that were clearly abusing the vehicle in this way beyond its regular use.

"What we've done is, if you're an experienced driver and you're driving at your limit off road .. we've made sure that it can take that kind of abuse. But we can't warrant it for [excessive stunts]."

Seems clear enough but the point is, it is possible if something breaks when driving at your limit then you could be on your own as Ford will determine if in their opinion it was as a result of excessive stunts, which could have a very wide interpretation !!!.

Well duh. Exactly as I said earlier, if you push it too hard and break it it's on you. Nothing is indestructable.

Stupid things like trying to jump it 20 metres in the air. Not driving over corragations like you implied could be enough to break it. Which is just a dumb thing to say.

No manufacturer of any type of vehicle is going to cover warranty if the vehicle has been abused. Do you think Ford are going to give owners a free for all ticket to just go nuts and they will happily fix anything they break?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #1481
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not actually the jump into air that does the damage, it's how you land and in most
of the advertising stunts, you'll always see the ground is sloped to soften the landing.

So if you want to be the Ford version of Thelma and Louise, go right ahead but don't expect warranty.

2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #1482
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post

Dealer embargo is lifted on the 17th of this month. Dealers should start getting stock after this date.

Some dealers already got one or two by accident. Metro Ford in Brisbane has one for anyone who is keen to drive.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #1483
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The warranty is set by Ford, not the DP.
Thats right, so why would the DP's thoughts matter?
What you're suggesting is that because the Raptor costs 3 times as much as a dodgy Focus the DP will get more assistance from Ford if and when something breaks.
And im saying that Ford might as well give no warranty on Fiesta then because they are even cheaper.

All 3 cars are sold with comprehensive warranties which must comply with consumer law but apparently the more you spend the better chance you have of getting a sympathetic ear.
I wouldn't call that sympathetic, i'd call it pathetic to be fair.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #1484
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Raptor Recovery vehicle.
https://www.facebook.com/12609612374...7948381198747/

Last edited by csv8; 12-08-2019 at 10:26 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #1485
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Thats right, so why would the DP's thoughts matter?
What you're suggesting is that because the Raptor costs 3 times as much as a dodgy Focus the DP will get more assistance from Ford if and when something breaks.
Probably so....here's why,
The issue with the Powershift is something inherently flawed with the transmission
an issue that ford has struggled with and really only has a partial cure.

A warranty issue on a Raptor is probably going to be more like a one off instance
and easily fixed / expedited with the assistance of a DP greasing the wheels..
I'm sure that many here have had positive outcomes to tricky situations but
I'll be the first to admit that some people have suffered terribly and slipped
through the cracks.

Quote:
All 3 cars are sold with comprehensive warranties which must comply with consumer law but apparently the more you spend the better chance you have of getting a sympathetic ear.
I wouldn't call that sympathetic, i'd call it pathetic to be fair.
So getting back to warranty,
no one is going to cover a RR owner for damage caused by jumping their truck
or obvious indications of abuse that would not normally be covered by warranty.
The ACCC will not help you in this situation as you're outside of any reasonable claim.

In this situation, sometimes a sympathetic DP can intercede on behalf of the owner and get
parts / repairs done at a very reasonable price, I've seen situations like that in the past...
others probably have similar stories.

Last edited by jpd80; 13-09-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 14-09-2018, 06:30 AM   #1486
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just one more

So let's cut to the chase, are you a potential buyer, I know I'm not as a Wildtrak is as far as I'd go.

You can buy the Ranger Raptor and drive to it's limits and be covered by a factory warranty and have no other factory built vehicle available from any Australian importer that can match it off road. Or you can buy your own (insert model) and modify it to as far as you want, jump as much and as high as you want and have no factory warranty from anyone..it's that easy.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 07:40 AM   #1487
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I'm not A Ranger buyer, so have no interest in whether the RR is a piece of poo or god's gift to mankind, however I did see a review yesterday in the Herald Sun.

I think the 'Verdict' sums it up well from what I have read and seen on here to date:

Quote:
VERDICT

If you’re not going off-road, buy an Amarok V6 and save yourself up to $20,000. If you are, and you want the best standard production off-road one-tonner on the market, this is it. The ultimate bush truck.
Full article here, for anyone interested.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #1488
prydey
Rob

It appears that there are a few people on here that aren't very observant. Have a look around at the cars people buy and how they use them. Sometimes (often), logic doesn't even enter the equation.

People are free to choose whichever vehicle they like. Whether there is other vehicles that will do the task they require, better, doesn't seem to matter.

If someone buys a raptor, and it never sees dirt, good luck to them. Their money, their choice. No law against it and they bought the car they wanted.
Old 14-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #1489
roKWiz
Cabover nut

[QUOTE=Smoke Pursuit;6188832]Dealer embargo is lifted on the 17th of this month. Dealers should start getting stock after this date. [QUOTE]

Just wondering why its called a 2018 model if it's not available until next week, seems late in the year for a release.

Where is your spy picture of the neighbours car ?
I'm starting to believe this is some kind of mythical vehicle that apart from promo prototypes doesn't exist.

Last edited by roKWiz; 14-09-2018 at 11:42 AM.
roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #1490
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

[QUOTE=roKWiz;6189183][QUOTE=Smoke Pursuit;6188832]Dealer embargo is lifted on the 17th of this month. Dealers should start getting stock after this date.
Quote:

Just wondering why its called a 2018 model if it's not available until next week, seems late in the year for a release.

I'm starting to believe this is some kind of mythical vehicle that apart from promo prototypes doesn't exist.

Its called a MY19 actually, as per the rest of the PXIII Range.

As for the neighbour yes I have a photo but its very dark and you can hardly see it. If you dont believe me go to Metro Ford Brisbane and take a look.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #1491
jgmdat

[QUOTE=roKWiz;6189183][QUOTE=Smoke Pursuit;6188832]Dealer embargo is lifted on the 17th of this month. Dealers should start getting stock after this date.
Quote:

If you go to Metro FORD in Brisbane you can see it, that would be better than a photo i think.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #1492
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

so, is it officially PX3 or are people guessing?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #1493
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

dealer embargo is for base Ranger I think, Raptor was released a while ago and Everest a couple of weeks back.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #1494
Gumboot

Metro ford has a px3 ranger on the lot and a blue ranger raptor out back. Saw both in the flesh. The raptor looks better than the photos. Very aggressive
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2018, 06:19 AM   #1495
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Well I looked over Metro Brisbane's website and didn't find anything in stock apart from Rangers. Little blurb on the raptor I've seen elsewhere.
I wasn't planning on driving to Brisbane (in Sydney currently)

Hey, Gumboot did you take a picture of the car ??

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #1496
Gumboot

Yes, I really liked it.
Looked awesome in Blue with contrasting black. It does have much more agressive lines around the guards and really stands out from a normal ranger. I liked the interior. Decisions , decisions....

Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #1497
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The crackdown on utes/4x4's in QLD has made something like the ranger more relevant.

Modifying these vehicles gets harder with more saftey features (ESC etc) so having something that is 100% legal is a obvious huge plus...and a better starting point.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #1498
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
The crackdown on utes/4x4's in QLD has made something like the ranger more relevant.

Modifying these vehicles gets harder with more saftey features (ESC etc) so having something that is 100% legal is a obvious huge plus...and a better starting point.
There is a lot of emphasis of the desert running capabilities of the RR, yet I look at it as a vehicle that could get through some of the back wood terrain in some of the hunting areas I have gone.

We have had to park Jeep CJs in "Gods country" and hike on foot a few days at a time, where some extra suspension travel would have gotten us a lot further along.

To me, the RR looks like the solution for that. The F150 Raptor is too big to get through some of those areas.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #1499
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just one more

It's not abuse if it's driven in the same way it's marketed. Plain and simple.
Old 15-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #1500
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

If someone buys a raptor, and it never sees dirt, good luck to them. Their money, their choice. No law against it and they bought the car they wanted.
Exactly. No different to buying a fpv and just doodling around using a tenth of its performance. Which you see all the time.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: