Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
OZFORDAU
Banned

Post Black side skirts!

I want to take off the black side skirts and paint them white so they colour code my car!

But...

1. How do them come off?
2. How do they go back on?
3. What paint do i use?

Cheers

Simon

OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Or ... got to a wreckers and see if you can find a set of white ones already .... so you might not have to paint them.

Not sure how they are attached ... I haven't looked that closely ... but i presume very grippy adhesive ... I doubt it's a tape though ... most likely adhesive run along the strip and then stuck on.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I presume you are meaning the strip halfway up your doors?????
Old 15-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
OZFORDAU
Banned

Default Ok

Yeah the strip hald way along the doors! Hmmm i think it's double sided tape! What paint would you use?
Old 15-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

you could carefully mask ( masking tape ) along the edges of the trips along with nespaper to to cover sorounding areas from overspray , saves taking them off ?? ..
u could use a pressure pack can if u like no worries , use enamel , if u want the paint to grip really well and not chip away - then give the strips a light sand / just lightly / enuff to take the old gloss coat off the old surface / but keep the sandpaper tame / like down to around a 800 grit max ( preff around 1200 but will take alot longer ) , u just want to lighty scuff the surface to give the paint something to grab to ( stops it chiping/flaking away later ... cant stress enuff though just a lightt sand or u will end up polishing the surface up nearlly again using such a fine grade sandpaper... basically u want it to look and feel smooth , but just be able to see light scratchmarks from the sandpaper in the old paint/ take the shine off the old surface . gl

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

dam spellin , sorry ..lol , typos .. i meant ..

you could carefully mask ( masking tape ) along the edges of the Strips along with neWspaper to to cover sorounding areas from overspray , saves taking them off ?? ..

Old 15-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
OZFORDAU
Banned

Post Thanks

It's not painted it's just black plastic im pretty sure, so will i be able to just paint staight on top of them? It's an AU1 so they hadn't put the colour coded ones on yet...

Cheers

Simon
Old 15-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #8
XR6Stu

They are held on with double sided tape. I suggest caution when pulling them off, warm them up to heat up the glue on the tape, eother wise its fairly easy to snap/bend the moulds, and also pull a high spot into your door where they are stuck to the door skin. Realistically you can use pretty much any paint you want, just as long as it is very similar to your car. Cheers!
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I'd sand them anyway ... it takes that bit of shine off them and allows to paint to stick a bit better ... not sure if you can get primer in a pressure pack though ... but if you can ... do that first.
Old 15-03-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

ahhhhh , mine are allready maointed , but i know what ya mean , still wouldnt hurt to give them a light sand first m then maybe undercoat too before final paint, Use a light color undercoat ( light grey at the least ) , apply enuff so u cant see the black through it anymore , otherwise u will have really dull spots in the final white if u dont , no undercoat at all and ull find ull have to do heaps and heaps of coats to get it pur white like the rest - cos of the dark black undernearh makes the white dull out bad.

Old 15-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #11
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

mine are allready painted i meant.. typos errors again sorry , time to change my keyboard batterys i think ! ..lol

Old 15-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

oh , plenty of light undercoat dust coats allowing about 10-15 mins in between each before applying next dust coat (stops any runs), when happy its sealed , apply final undercoat keeping the speed on the can moving about the adverage of covering about 6" in 3 seconds max (if u get a few runs at this stage don't stress as u will sand again in the morning anyways and u can sand the runs out ), let that final thicker undercoat dry overnight , lightly sand back that coat in the morning to give that glossy smooth undercoat finish a bit of a surface for the paint to grab too ( dont sand it totally off ! ) .. it will be glossy a bit because of the last thicker layer that was applied......
repeat the same for the final coat except don't sand anything after the final coat !! ..lol , if u like u can repeat all the above again with a clear laquer enamel too to give it a nice thick sorta unchipable surface ( the gloss will chip before the paint making the chip unvisable ) , it gives the final coat that extra bit of shine plus also protects the paintwork from chips to a degree ..dont sand the final paint either if u wish to apply gloss enamel too, so make sure u dont get any runs in th final color paintwork.

Old 15-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #13
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help!

Cheers

Simon :
Old 15-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #14
stock au
Need go fast bit's

if you do take them off you could allways put them back on with some sikaflex.
stock au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #15
GUTLES
Adam.

Why not just take them off & leave them off?

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:47 PM   #16
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:nutsycuck this is not very constructive to your thread but they are not "side skirts" they are side protection mouldings :
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #17
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Actually simon , even a can or 2 of the epoxy white in a can would do it np , would stick to plastic better than normal paint too without any sanding or anything , just heaps of coats of epoxy white , durable strong stuff too ;) .

Old 16-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #18
OZFORDAU
Banned

Post Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock au
if you do take them off you could allways put them back on with some sikaflex.
Cause there are holes were the "side protection mouldings" go!

Cheers

Simon
Old 16-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #19
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Actually simon , even a can or 2 of the epoxy white in a can would do it np , would stick to plastic better than normal paint too without any sanding or anything , just heaps of coats of epoxy white , durable strong stuff too ;) .
Sounds good!

Cheers

Simon :sm_headba
Old 16-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #20
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZFORDAU
Cause there are holes were the "side protection mouldings" go!

Cheers

Simon
lol , thats better :
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 04:23 AM   #21
chief
FTF Club Moderator

The door mouldings are one use only. I asked around and that is what I was told. You can use them again but just be a pain. I painted mine on the car. Just masked up everything and did it. Spent more time masking than painting.

Since you are going to paint the mouldings why not paint the back of the mirror caps. They pop right off. There is 3 clips behind the mirror. 2 on the outside, 1 on the inside near the glass.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #22
XR6Stu

We pull moulds off and put them back on every day of the week at work. I garuntee it is easier to pull them off to paint than mask up on the car and do it.
Old 19-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #23
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

did you get them off?
they were a pain to do on my au, the double sided tape from factory is a ***** to actualy remove off the door afterwards.
GOOOD LUUUUCCCKK
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 03:32 AM   #24
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Thanks

Nahh haven't tried yet...Hmmm yeh i saw the double sided tape when i pulled some of it back! It's friggin strong as!

Cheers

Simon :nutsycuck

PS: Thanks for the good luck, i'll need it!
Old 20-03-2006, 11:14 AM   #25
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Run over the whole strip with the missus hairdryer really close until you get the strip nice and warm/hot , the tape just lets go then np , Dont use a heatgun or u'll probably fry the lot in seconds ! ..lol

Old 20-03-2006, 11:42 AM   #26
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking And to put it back on?

How do i put it back on then?

Cheers

Simon
Old 20-03-2006, 06:47 PM   #27
XR6Stu

Make sure you have every single little bit of the old double sided tape off (or they wont stick back on) Give it a rub with a bit of steel wool or scourer where you are going to lay the tape. Lay the tape down back in the exact same spot where the old stuff was. Then stick them on, using the locators as a guide!