prydey
Rob

Default Re: First experience .. Vic law regarding passing emergency vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
you can spit, cry and sook as much as you want

red n blues

police / fire / ambos
And they are on the clock. They deserve a safe working environment just like everyone else!

The rule has been in SA for at least 2 -3 years and no chaos has ensued.
Old 18-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
And they are on the clock. They deserve a safe working environment just like everyone else!

And just to think, we also have to 25km/h in roadworks as well unlike other states.

These laws are all about protecting the people who's jobs are to be out on those roads with cars.
Old 19-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
pezimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
And just to think, we also have to 25km/h in roadworks as well unlike other states.

These laws are all about protecting the people who's jobs are to be out on those roads with cars.
I would be very interested in learning what are the statistics before and after the rule was applied. How many injuries and deaths by motor vehicle impact to emergency service personnel were there before and what were they reduced to?

How do these stats cross reference to the motor vehicle accident numbers near emergency vehicles with flashing lights?

My gut feel is that we may actually have more people injured after the rule's implementation than before. But happy to be proven wrong.

A decision to implement a rule like this in a new state must be based on hard data, surely!
This user likes this post:
Old 20-08-2017, 12:25 AM   #4
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezimm View Post
I would be very interested in learning what are the statistics before and after the rule was applied. How many injuries and deaths by motor vehicle impact to emergency service personnel were there before and what were they reduced to?

How do these stats cross reference to the motor vehicle accident numbers near emergency vehicles with flashing lights?

My gut feel is that we may actually have more people injured after the rule's implementation than before. But happy to be proven wrong.

A decision to implement a rule like this in a new state must be based on hard data, surely!
Why do we need to wait until people die before we take preventative action?
5 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2017, 12:33 AM   #5
pezimm

Quote:
I'm not suggesting that at all. My intention was to point out that there are people dying on other situations and we don't attack those causes with the same determination - i.e. cyclists on the road, pedestrian crossings, fatigued drivers, ice addicts behind the wheel, etc...

If there are limited resources - time, money, staff, etc - priorities must be established.

Still, back to this change in particular, I'm not convinced (haven't seen any data) to indicate there has been a positive impact following the implementation of this rule.
Old 20-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

Perhaps if no people have died or been injured there's actually no need for the over regulation, ahem preventative action.

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2017, 12:32 AM   #7
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Think you will find Vic gov would have used other states stats & would have conducted some sort of study, whatever means they used would be better than a Gut Feeling.
Old 20-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #8
pezimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Think you will find Vic gov would have used other states stats & would have conducted some sort of study, whatever means they used would be better than a Gut Feeling.
The Vic government doesn't seem to have a great track record with detailed studies to drive policy - i.e. East-west link contract broken, elevated rail in SE Melb, CFA debacle, etc... What makes you think they used sound studies for this law change?
Old 21-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Vic government doesn't seem to have a great track record with detailed studies to drive policy - i.e. East-west link contract broken, elevated rail in SE Melb, CFA debacle, etc... What makes you think they used sound studies for this law change?

Is that you Matthew Guy??? How was the lobster???
4 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #10
pezimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
Is that you Matthew Guy??? How was the lobster???
Hahaha, nah not me... I just like decisions to be data-based. Libs also make some pretty silly calls for the wrong reasons.
Old 18-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

Should it then be extended to anyone pulled over on the side of the road for an emergency? For example changing a tyre? These people would be more at risk as these people are likely to be unaware of the surroundings.
May be to all roadside emergencies? Yellow lights (RACxxx staff too, they're on the clock too).

EDIT:
Case in point.
Quote:
Recap: A 56-year-old man who was changing a flat tyre has been killed after a ute veered off-road and crashed into his vehicle.

Police believe the man had been driving along the Goulburn Valley Highway, near Shepparton, about 9.45pm yesterday when he pulled over to change a tyre.

It is believed a Mazda ute then veered off the road and crashed into the rear of the man's stationary vehicle.

The 56-year-old man died at the scene.

The driver of the Mazda, a 53-year-old Shepparton man, was arrested and is currently assisting police with their enquiries.

Police are urging anyone who witnessed the crash or has dash-cam footage of the area to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

The man's death brings the road toll for the year up to 159, 26 fewer than at the same time last year.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/me...17-gxy366.html
Old 18-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #12
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Should it then be extended to anyone pulled over on the side of the road for an emergency? For example changing a tyre? These people would be more at risk as these people are likely to be unaware of the surroundings.
May be to all roadside emergencies? Yellow lights (RACxxx staff too, they're on the clock too).

EDIT:
Case in point.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/me...17-gxy366.html
Deleted.

Last edited by Itsme; 18-08-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 20-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And they are on the clock.
If you're not on the clock then jog on
Closed Thread