Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #3031
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowdit View Post
I joined the solar team last year.
Before the rebate dissappears, with the hope of getting batteries one day.
20kw micro inverter system over 4 different roof area's, put a lot of them facing North West, trying to get the best out of them when the family gets home of an arvo.
1st full quarter bill was $50, down from $700, next bill due any day.
If electricity prices keep going up I expect to have the system paid for within six years.
In your calculations you need to also add the following cost to your electricity bill which is a "hidden cost" in solar systems

-the interest you could be saving on your mortgage
-the fact that your system will depreciate
-an inverter might fail etc. as they don't have that long a warranty. $$$$$
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #3032
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
In your calculations you need to also add the following cost to your electricity bill which is a "hidden cost" in solar systems

-the interest you could be saving on your mortgage
-the fact that your system will depreciate
-an inverter might fail etc. as they don't have that long a warranty. $$$$$
Agree, mortgage will forever be a problem, sold a car to pay for it :-(
But with intrest rates so low, better late than never.
The system will depreciate, but I do hope to get 20 years out of it, and by then hopefully the technology will have advanced and be "cheap as chips".
The inverters, are part of the panel and covered for the same warranty period, 10 years, if the company is around in 4-5 years !!!!

Having said all of that, my luck will end in divorce or some sort of catastrophe prior to getting to the 6 year mark, but am hoping it will make the place more saleable should it all turn to ****...........
This user likes this post:
Old 04-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #3033
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
Damo, listen to Zilo, my experiences echo his exactly, 10% discharge is well within operating range for these batteries, not 50%, I know folks who I've helped get off the grid are discharging well below 20% everyday, one household has done so for over 9 years now on the same set of batteries.
Tell you what if I do get my own place in the next 10 years the power company can go jump off the Westgate Bridge, I'm not feeding back into the grid.

I'd be inclinded to spend up big on solar panels, batteries and a decent diesel generator, something say 30KW worth to cover everything worst case scenario at night time if you wanted to run A/C or something in summer or tide you over because of failure of an inverter, panels or battery bank etc.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #3034
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Tell you what if I do get my own place in the next 10 years the power company can go jump off the Westgate Bridge, I'm not feeding back into the grid.

I'd be inclinded to spend up big on solar panels, batteries and a decent diesel generator, something say 30KW worth to cover everything worst case scenario at night time if you wanted to run A/C or something in summer or tide you over because of failure of an inverter, panels or battery bank etc.

I will never be without solar now, batteries are on the shopping list for our next place (looking at a place with 10 acres), there we could go totally off grid with our own water and power.

I kinda reckon a decent genny would be the go for refrigerated, a lot of folks here have not got one and do fine on smaller coolers, ducted evaporative's are cheap as chips to run (half horse motor and a 300 watt??? water pump), they run fine off a battery bank, reverse cycle such as ours would need a minimum 15 KW start up.

all depends on what you want to go without, we have done half a dozen shacks that have run well just off solar for years with evap coolers and large 12v/gas fridges.

a lot of inverter type white goods getting around now that are very economical to run, seen a front load washer the other day that was an inverter, quite happy off solar/batt's.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #3035
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
I will never be without solar now, batteries are on the shopping list for our next place (looking at a place with 10 acres), there we could go totally off grid with our own water and power.

I kinda reckon a decent genny would be the go for refrigerated, a lot of folks here have not got one and do fine on smaller coolers, ducted evaporative's are cheap as chips to run (half horse motor and a 300 watt??? water pump), they run fine off a battery bank, reverse cycle such as ours would need a minimum 15 KW start up.

all depends on what you want to go without, we have done half a dozen shacks that have run well just off solar for years with evap coolers and large 12v/gas fridges.

a lot of inverter type white goods getting around now that are very economical to run, seen a front load washer the other day that was an inverter, quite happy off solar/batt's.

My new Samsung inverter fridge is 280L and uses...40watts!
Old 05-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #3036
Spinner77

Quote:
My new Samsung inverter fridge is 280L and uses...40watts!
Care to give us a short review? There is a bit of bad-mouthing about these, noisy and so on.

How do you compare the performance of the Samsung with the traditional ones?
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2015, 04:12 PM   #3037
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner77 View Post
Care to give us a short review? There is a bit of bad-mouthing about these, noisy and so on.

How do you compare the performance of the Samsung with the traditional ones?

It works as a fridge andn freezer in my stand alone grid.

It uses less power than my laptop when charging.

It is 4 stars.

It has no faults or noises, i lifted it into the van, on the boat and on a wheelbarrow up the hill on my own.

It uses 40 watts when first out of the box....much less when cold.

Declared power consumption is 229 kw a year.

I seriously will say that even if you have a perfectly working fridge one of these new technologies will pay for itself in 12 months of power consumption.

I tried a small bar fridge with conventional compressor and it used 5 times the power.

Just do it.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #3038
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-1...energy/6537814

Interesting to see the coal mine and plant shutting down. Alinta Energy are also not going ahead with the solar farm.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-1...utlook/6540200
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #3039
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes I think us south aussies are about to be screwed even more on power prices
Old 18-06-2015, 10:44 PM   #3040
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Queenslanders who have solar and hot water on Tariff 33, do you find that your solar production during the day gets consumed by your hot water system or not?

I switched my electric hws off last night (at the breaker) so this morning it was pretty lukewarm. I turned the breaker back on this morning at about 8, and when i went to check the meter at 5pm, tariff 11 hadn't moved, my solar had fed in some decent kw but my tariff 33 had clocked an extra 7kw. Which leads me to believe that solar production doesn't take over from grid feed tariff 33?
Old 22-06-2015, 02:44 AM   #3041
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yes you need to use these things through the day now ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #3042
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

It works as a fridge andn freezer in my stand alone grid.

It uses less power than my laptop when charging.

It is 4 stars.

It has no faults or noises, i lifted it into the van, on the boat and on a wheelbarrow up the hill on my own.

It uses 40 watts when first out of the box....much less when cold.

Declared power consumption is 229 kw a year.

I seriously will say that even if you have a perfectly working fridge one of these new technologies will pay for itself in 12 months of power consumption.

I tried a small bar fridge with conventional compressor and it used 5 times the power.

Just do it.
Do you mind chucking a link up to these types of fridges? I'm after a small fridge for my workshop, makes sense if we get something energy efficient.
Old 22-06-2015, 10:17 PM   #3043
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Do you mind chucking a link up to these types of fridges? I'm after a small fridge for my workshop, makes sense if we get something energy efficient.

No problemmo....mine is the smallest.

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/h...RT29FARACSL/SA
Old 26-06-2015, 12:59 AM   #3044
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This link came up on my Facebook page today regarding the new Powerwall from Tesla.
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/power...gn=powerwallfb
Old 26-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #3045
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds really good

was at battery world this week, asked about solar storage units, was told to wait 12-18 months as there will be some great more advanced units coming onto the market then, way more efficient and cheaper.

This sounds like one of them.

Still, my summer bills are $0-50, autumn $100-150, yet to get thru winter for the first time, but an outlay of $6k to save $400 a year is a stretch still....
Old 26-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #3046
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
This link came up on my Facebook page today regarding the new Powerwall from Tesla.
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/power...gn=powerwallfb
yes, seen them a while back......give the industry a little more time, say 2 years and we will be seeing a lot more of this "stand alone" technology.......and it will become cheaper as it is mass produced.

Mr Rabbit has just given the industry a huge kick in the gut in an effort to continue his "Australia's future lies in coal!" statement made in parliament a while back.

funny how China is reducing it's purchase of coal by a huge margin next year.......clean energy will continue regardless of his thought processes and his energy mogul driven paycheque.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2015, 01:37 AM   #3047
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Sounds really good

was at battery world this week, asked about solar storage units, was told to wait 12-18 months as there will be some great more advanced units coming onto the market then, way more efficient and cheaper.

This sounds like one of them.

Still, my summer bills are $0-50, autumn $100-150, yet to get thru winter for the first time, but an outlay of $6k to save $400 a year is a stretch still....
Your not counting the elect produced by solar through the day that your using ..
Turn your hot water or large elect draw on through the day...
The pittance they pay you isn't worth it ..Better off using it when it's free..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 27-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #3048
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
Your not counting the elect produced by solar through the day that your using ..
Turn your hot water or large elect draw on through the day...
The pittance they pay you isn't worth it ..Better off using it when it's free..
Agree, we do, have to be all over it, rain forecasted and the pool filter gets turned off, wait till the sun is out to put the dishwasher or washing machine on too.

Would love a battery bank, but cant justify the cost so soon after getting the system.

One of our neighbors has been bagging solar since he got it 2 years ago, but he runs his pool filter 6 hrs a day rain hail or shine It gets worse, no feed in on his plan !
As no one is home his use is at night, so his bills are still excessive !

Still, glad we took the plunge
Old 29-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #3049
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
Queenslanders who have solar and hot water on Tariff 33, do you find that your solar production during the day gets consumed by your hot water system or not?

I switched my electric hws off last night (at the breaker) so this morning it was pretty lukewarm. I turned the breaker back on this morning at about 8, and when i went to check the meter at 5pm, tariff 11 hadn't moved, my solar had fed in some decent kw but my tariff 33 had clocked an extra 7kw. Which leads me to believe that solar production doesn't take over from grid feed tariff 33?
Answering my own question, it seems that tariff 33 is 100% grid fed.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #3050
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

Angry Re: who amongst us have gone solar

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/vi...01-gi2oda.html

5c feed in effective from Jan 1 2016 makes it hardly worth having a feed in at all, it seems it would be better going to battery storage or using every drop during the day.
Blue Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #3051
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I keep getting joints ringing up my business phone about 'free' solar panels, is there some sort of rebate on or something or are they just trying to talk me into something that is gonna cost me up the ***?
Old 01-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #3052
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ice View Post

5c feed in effective from Jan 1 2016 makes it hardly worth having a feed in at all, it seems it would be better going to battery storage or using every drop during the day.
With these pathetic feed in tarrifs you have to do all your major electricity usage while the sun is out - washing machine, dishwasher, ironing, welding etc. After daylight you have to be extremely frugal.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #3053
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
I keep getting joints ringing up my business phone about 'free' solar panels, is there some sort of rebate on or something or are they just trying to talk me into something that is gonna cost me up the ***?
They give you the panels - they maintain ownership and charge you for the Power consumed at a slightly cheaper rate than the power co

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #3054
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ice View Post

Either sell the panels on ebay and invest the money or....

Isolate the lighting circuit in your house...charge batteries with your panels and run the lights 100% of the time with an inverter and batteries.

Doing that noone can stop you from having a battery based system and a grid connect system.

We did that for years and it doesnt take much to do it.

We had a two way switch for the lighting circuit...brown coal/batteries was the label on it.
Old 15-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #3055
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Agree, we do, have to be all over it, rain forecasted and the pool filter gets turned off, wait till the sun is out to put the dishwasher or washing machine on too.

Would love a battery bank, but cant justify the cost so soon after getting the system.

One of our neighbors has been bagging solar since he got it 2 years ago, but he runs his pool filter 6 hrs a day rain hail or shine It gets worse, no feed in on his plan !
As no one is home his use is at night, so his bills are still excessive !

Still, glad we took the plunge
Fully agree with you Mowdit, Although I've got the high FIT, batteries will be the way to go.

They'll get cheaper and more affordable as time goes by - just gotta wait it out for batteries to get cheaper to go off grid with my panels.

I'll have to change out my inverter, but it's worth it.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.

Last edited by supershifty; 15-11-2015 at 09:34 PM.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 11:26 PM   #3056
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Has this been posted .. I guess this is the guy at battery world is talking about..
http://www.teslamotors.com/en_AU/powerwall
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 16-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #3057
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
Has this been posted .. I guess this is the guy at battery world is talking about..
http://www.teslamotors.com/en_AU/powerwall
I registered my details then called them to get specs and they couldn't tell me anything at all.

I just need to sit back and wait for the phone call....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #3058
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just received my new power bill another $200 credit gotta love summer
Old 30-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #3059
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Fully love those credits rolling on in, mild winter in QLD this year - so no bills.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #3060
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone in QLD have one of these powerwall thingy's. Can you add one without it affecting refunds etc? How will it affect usage and KW hour used?