Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #31
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Thousands of NSW motorists are having cars captured in an elaborate ransom scam worth millions of dol

Victoria as far from the ideal situation. There are still bottom feeder towies who prey on the vulnerable to line their own pockets, the threat of a $100,000 fine plus isn't enough to deter them as the authorities rarely do anything about it.
Third party recovery shops are just as bad, making hollow promises and holding peoples cars hostage for their own benefit. Not only that, they are devaluing peoples cars by performing work on them that is simply not required, such as respraying a car inside and out just for a quarter panel replacement.

The panel repair industry is one of the most dictated to industries in Australia. If you speak out about an insurer they will black list you, they drive prices down while putting premiums up. It's all about returns to shareholders, they don't give a **** about you or your car.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #32
Spurious

Default Re: Thousands of NSW motorists are having cars captured in an elaborate ransom scam worth millions of dol

Post accident stress or not, gotta wonder how stupid &/or thoughtless some people are.

If I have a smash, either at fault or not, the first thing I'd do is call my insurer. They organise the tow, the assessor, the repairs etc.
I would LMAO if some tow jockey rocked up, without having been asked, & "offered" to tow my car to a repairer.

First thing they'd likely do is rip my sound system out & later claim there wasn't one there!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #33
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
Post accident stress or not, gotta wonder how stupid &/or thoughtless some people are.

If I have a smash, either at fault or not, the first thing I'd do is call my insurer.
Unless of course they're CGU, where they put you on hold for in excess of 1.5hrs, and ultimately don't answer your call at all, because their phone system kicks you off after that.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #34
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post

If I have a smash, either at fault or not, the first thing I'd do is call my insurer. They organise the tow, the assessor, the repairs etc.
I would LMAO if some tow jockey rocked up, without having been asked, & "offered" to tow my car to a repairer.

First thing they'd likely do is rip my sound system out & later claim there wasn't one there!
The most annoying thing in life is being solicited for anything. Whether telemarketing, hookers, car salesman, tupperware, windscreen washer at traffic lights. Persistence makes the situation even worse..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2015, 11:14 PM   #35
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
The most annoying thing in life is being solicited for anything. Whether telemarketing, hookers, car salesman, tupperware, windscreen washer at traffic lights. Persistence makes the situation even worse..
I only get Tupperware (from the missus) and telemarketing. I walk into a car yard and I swear I'm Mr Invisible .
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #36
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
Comments like this really annoy me, bit like saying all XYZ religion are all terrorists

To set the record straight, in Victoria at least.

If you are involved in a car accident and the car is not driveable, you call towing allocations directly. I bet 90% of you didn't even know that the phone number used to be on the back of your rego label!

When you call towing allocations they will decide who will attend the seen as every metro area has a rotating roster to avoid incidents of days gone by (punch ons, baseball bats and shot guns).

When the towie loads your car, they will ask you to sign a tow docket which is normal, if they ask you to sign anything else, DON'T! Chances are they will be soliciting for a panel shop, look at the signage on the side of the truck and that'll give you a fair indication of who they really work for.

As the owner of the vehicle you have every right to tell them where to tow it, even home if you're prepared to stump up the first tow and get reimbursed by the insurer at a later date. If not, they will tow it to their yard for holding if it's outside of normal business hours and should tow it to your repairer next business day. There are set storage fees in Victoria if it's stored after the first tow of $15.00 under cover.

You also need to be aware of 'third party recovery' shops. Involved in an accident and you're not at fault? There are a number of shops and a large group that will ask you to sign a release form, in doing so you have just signed over to them the rights to act on your behalf. They will then quote within %5 of total lossing your vehicle, repair it and then sue the at fault parties insurer. By signing over your car, they also have the rights to retain the vehicle until it is paid for or a judgement is made in court.

A friend of mine got caught up in this scam earlier this year, his $160,000 car went missing for some time and was eventually returned to him 2 months later. He learnt the hard way and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

So please don't tar us all with the same brush, some of us just want to make and honest living. A fair days pay for a fair days work.
90% of people don't have rego stickers, how does that fit into your equations?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #37
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Never sign anything!
Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #38
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
90% of people don't have rego stickers, how does that fit into your equations?
Read what I wrote champ, then try commenting again
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
Old 21-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #39
burnz
VFII SS UTE

it's quoting NSW troubles not VIC...

also haven't your mob down there done with stickers aswell..

telling where to tow it is pointless if your not in control of your faculties.
Old 21-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #40
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

@burnz, it's not isolated to NSW, you guys aren't that special
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
Old 21-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #41
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
@burnz, it's not isolated to NSW, you guys aren't that special
does VIC still have rego labels ??