Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
big fella
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Darren Flanagan "the gun of Beaconsfield"

I have attended a 2 day conference on Vocational Education, which is where my job lies. The conference was in Melbourne, where I live, but had attendees from around the country.

There was a keynote speaker for this mornings session. His name was Darren Flanagan. Darren Flanagan was the unassuming expert flown in from Nowra to Beaconsfield to blast through to the trapped miners, Todd Russell and Brandt Webb. He was flown in because of his expertise with some low density explosives. Russell and Webb nicknamed him "the gun" as they waited for him to carry out the labourious task of blasting through to them.

In my job I have had the opportunity to listen to a number of motivational/ inspirational speakers. Most of them are polished performers with real, genuine tales of extraordinary events. I think I had become a little bit blase about the whole "motivational speach" thing. It was with that attitude that I entered the hall this morning.

I can honestly say that I haven't ever been affected by any speach, by anybody, as much as I was this morning. Darren Flanagan is not a natural public speaker, he was obviously nervous, and didn't use some of the basic techniques that professionals use. That only added to the realism of the story he told. Many times he wiped away tears, as did every single person in the hall (other than me because I am tough). You can often tell how engaged an audience is by the occasional whispers from behind you. I did not hear a peep from anyone. Without visual aids, or special effects, we were riveted to our seats for an hour. Had there have been time, he could have easily gone for two.

I would urge anyone, if ever you sniff the opportunity to listen to this man, bloke, hero, move heaven and earth to get there. It was that good.

big fella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thought you might have meant the former Geelong ruckman...

What was this guy's actual occupation? He obviously knows explosives, but is he a miner, or a chemist (probably not!)...enlighten us, because he sounds interesting.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Darren Flanagan. Il rememder that name. Id like to hear more
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

See some more here:

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Da...ient=firefox-a

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'Bad Ground'.. the book.. Cant remember who wrote it but its an awesome read about the whole beaconsfield tragedy if you've ever been under ground you'll know what i mean..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Darren Flanagan is also a gun Cummins diesel mechanic from Wesburn in the Yarra Valley.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
fordgal94
Starter Motor

Default Re: Darren Flanagan "the gun of Beaconsfield"

He has a website with a few videos and testimonials and so on I looked him up after seeing his presentation early this year at work, amazing (shed many a tear)!!! Turns out he actually lives in the same suburb as me I ran into him about two weeks ago at IGA, great guy!! I watched the video on his web page and cried again haha
http://www.darrenflanagan.com.au/
fordgal94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post