Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
dean04ba

Default AU2 Fairlane electric aerial

does anyone know if there is an aftermarket replacement for the electrical aerial for the AU2 Fairlane. My local autobarn does not list anything from their supplier. if anyone knows or any advice on what they have used as a replacement would be appreciated.

dean04ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Your best bet will be Ford for a new one or a wrecker for a second hand one. If it were I, I would take the latter option.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
MYT
Cruizn in my 'lane

couple of hundred for a new one from ford, and from time to time there's a guy that sells change over units on ebay
MYT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
The Mighty Red

I'd hunt one down from a wrecker...$200 is a bit over the top for an ariel
Old 03-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
champ

Default Re: AU2 Fairlane electric aerial

Hi guys,
Thanks for the responses people...
Ive got an aerpro mast one, but bugger if I can get the base nut thing to completely unscrew... It gets to a certain point & then goes no further....I've got it almost all the way out, but there is like a silver cap under the black plastic - not sure if this is what is stopping it coming all the way out?
champ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi champ, have a read (post 83 & 90) -

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....1430044&page=3

Pretty certain iirc that base nut stays on, the old antenna unit slides out, new unit slides up & in.

Hope it helps, good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #7
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If your aerial is in the rear guard you cant get a one new that fits. Try a wrecker. The replacement ones all sit a little high so the chrome knob on the top is above the guard.
Been thru all that with my TL50. Was lucky a friend had one that was NOS.

There is no need to pull the aerial motor apart to install a new mast rope. Unless there are broken pieces stuck in there, you connect it to power and feed the rope out and do the opposite to feed the rope in. Its probably on youtube how its done

If your aerial is in the front guard follow the post on how to remove it by taking out the inner guard only
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I got one of those replacement ones that don't go all the way down. It's because of the nipple on the top, it is too square where the original is tapered on the underside. I attacked my replacement with a dremel and reshaped the underside of the nipple and it sits flush now.
You can only tell it's been modified if you're studying it up close and who studies an aerial mast tip.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #9
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
I got one of those replacement ones that don't go all the way down. It's because of the nipple on the top, it is too square where the original is tapered on the underside. I attacked my replacement with a dremel and reshaped the underside of the nipple and it sits flush now.
You can only tell it's been modified if you're studying it up close and who studies an aerial mast tip.
photo?
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #10
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Um... well.... I would .....but.... the missus took the car, (and the kids, YAY ME), to NSW yesterday and won't be back for 2 weeks.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 04-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #11
champ

Morning all, but a confessions - I think I am going to have to pull the whole thing out now because I rekon I've got bits of broken rope as I ran out of patience & snapped the stupid thing off! which is why now I rekon mine is not sliding out. I think Ive bent the base of the aerial & now it bloody stuck. Always up for a challenge....
Old 04-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
AUwindsor

id go with a wreckers job, working condition with warranty. its amazing the good condition cars you see at wreckers, AU fairlanes included, over being defected for something so minor!

defects are mostly to satisfy the new car corporations hunger for $$$$ as the police work for the government and government is a front for private owned corporations/elite families

point is, the cops are defecting near immaculate older vehicles for tiny stupid things, to make us the people *have* to go buy new

so there's thousands of immaculate AU's amongst other cars being wrecked.. thanks to cops. just another part of the elites throw away society they have created, to make themselves rich enough to own earth
AUwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Wow...

That's a hell of a conspiracy theory right there. They might look good on the outside but as with all modern vehicles, when the electrical gremlins or mechanical repairs cost more to fix than the value of the car, it gets binned. Most people aren't enthusiasts and to them a car is just another tool so if it don't go properly and costs too much it has to go. As as we all know, anything more than 10yrs old isn't worth a cracker till it's 30 yrs old and still going strong.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 04-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #14
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUwindsor View Post
...so there's thousands of immaculate AU's amongst other cars being wrecked...
ahahaha thanks for that
i needed a laugh for the day
aaahahahahahaha

Old 04-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #15
champ

Gotta love it! Might just get a whole new aerial from the wreckers! I think it would take me too long to "unjam" the one that is probably jammed from my hissy fit!