Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
Peekay
Starter Motor

Default Brakes and Rotors MC TDCI

Hi There!

I remember when I was researching the Mondeo a common topic was how quickly the brakes can go and how expensive they are.
I remember at the time various people having suggestions on where to go for better prices etc

Well I'm now at that dreaded level - I've just clocked over 70,000 k's and apparently I'm due dealer quoted something in the vicinity of $1,300 (was a little while ago).
Is there anywhere I can go for a better price?

If it helps I'm in VIC and I work in Scoresby but happy to go a distance if there is a significant saving to be had.

Thanks guys!
Peekay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Brakes and Rotors MC TDCI

Don't be afraid of the dealers...

Ford offer myFord Capped Price Brakes (as well servicing); http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/myf...edprice-brakes

Seems a lot cheaper than what you are quoting!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
Peekay
Starter Motor

Does this apply to the Mondeo though?
For some reason I remember it being the fact that it was European that pushed the price through the roof.
Peekay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekay View Post
Does this apply to the Mondeo though?
For some reason I remember it being the fact that it was European that pushed the price through the roof.
If you read the link and look at the bottom near "terms and conditions" it DOES NOT exclude the Mondeo (only the XR5 Turbo).
Refer the following; http://www.ford.com.au/myfordcpb-termsconditions
Old 08-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
Binny

The fixed price brakes is just pads. No doubt Peekay's quote is for rotors as well.
I'm 1000km from the 75k service being due and I am expecting the same thing.
If you have a local mechanic you can trust they can source DBA or RDA rotors and use bendix pads or similar. As well as being cheaper the DBA rotors will not wear as fast and the bendix pads will not make that horrible brown brake dust.
This is the path I will take if I can find a local I mechanic I can trust.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #6
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$88 to machine the Rotors (if required).

There are so many options out there and the choice is yours, all have their merits.

I would have loved to put some slotted or cross drilled rotors on!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:03 PM   #7
Binny

Mondeo rotors never get machined they wear out at the same rate as pads so they are below minimum thickness and need to be replaced. They crap on about it being for better brake performance but its such a rort. A lot of euro cars have these soft rotors now.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekay View Post
Hi There!

I remember when I was researching the Mondeo a common topic was how quickly the brakes can go and how expensive they are.
I remember at the time various people having suggestions on where to go for better prices etc

Well I'm now at that dreaded level - I've just clocked over 70,000 k's and apparently I'm due dealer quoted something in the vicinity of $1,300 (was a little while ago).
Is there anywhere I can go for a better price?

If it helps I'm in VIC and I work in Scoresby but happy to go a distance if there is a significant saving to be had.

Thanks guys!
Hi Peekay,

If you go searching on eBay you can find rotors and pads for about $150 per axle. So a total of $300 for parts. And a competent Mechanic ought be able to change both rotors and pads within a couple of hours IMO. So it depends on the hourly rate. I'd find some independent mechanics close to my work location and get some quotes for labour only. Dealers are quoting up to $150 per hour or more now I think, so labour will be of the order of $300 also. But Dealers might not like you providing the parts, so you may need an independent mechanic. If you use an independent AND your car is still within the factory warranty, you would be wise to get a proper invoice from whomever does the work showing evidence of their Licensing to avoid warranty problems.

The fronts are not a difficult job for anyone who has some mechanical competence, but the rears can be difficult, because the rotors wear with a lip and it might be a problem to get the caliper and pads past this. Also the pistons are "threaded" and need to be twisted back into the cylinder and this is easier if you get a special tool that looks like a flat plate with a half inch square hole in it and a set of pins that match "dowel" holes in the face of the piston.

Good luck, PM me if you want some links to suitable eBay listings. You need to know the mounting stud hole diameter too, because for some reason these changed during the build period.

Incidentally the discard thicknesses for the MA/MB/MC vehicles are Rear: 9 mm; Front 26 mm. These dimensions are 2mm smaller than the "new" thickness in both cases.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #9
Canyonero
Wow, this is roomy!

The brake dust and cleaning the wheels is about the only problem I have with the car. I had the rear brakes done at 35,000km. Replaced the rotors with DBA and I think they were Bendix pads. No problems with them. I'll do the same when the front ones come due for replacement. The cost for the rears was about $440 including parts and labour.

MINE: Escape ZG Trend 2.0L EcoBoost AWD, Magnetic with Technology Pack, Power Tailgate and Keyless Entry

SWMBO: "The Canyonero" Territory SY TS AWD, 7 seats, Mercury Silver (Now gone to a new home, Feb 2024)
Canyonero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post