Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #271
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i wonder why they put that skit on when harry was a guest. sometimes a bit of thought can go a long way. we all know how americans feel towards black people, so why subject him to it. even if harry did not find it offensive, he had to act offended. alot, if not most of his fan base are americans - he cannot afford to offend them by laughing at the skit
besides, the show is meant to be funny, that act was not even remotely funny or entertaining, so why even bother with it
Most Australians (and obviously the ones that approved the act getting on the show) arent aware if the stigma that surrounds the 'black faced entertainer'

As the Jackson Jive were an Australian (amateur) act on an Australian show, its fair enough that only Australian sensibilties were taken into account. Being one of, if not the most laid back country on Earth meant an act like that was a safe bet (a 10 news poll found 89% of voters werent offended)

Yes it was a crap act, but worth having on if only for the nostalgia trip. The groups original appearance in the 80s found its way onto countless Hey Hey gag reels over the last 20 years.

The international controversy this has whipped up is the real joke.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #272
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's become a real circus. I've seen 'comedians' of many different races take the mickey out of white people...and frankly, it doesn't bother me.
The door has to swing both ways. If that is not allowed, then lock it!

Regardless of this media circus where even the ninny chooks of 'The View' had to put their worthless 2c in (don't they know we don't have 2c coins anymore?) bout how we mistreat Aborigines (Umm...hello...America?), I just want to say that I really enjoyed the two Hey Hey It's Saturday shows, but I do not want to see it come back every week because like The Footy Show, it will lose its appeal over time.

Like the EF XR Wagons, people only want it back because it is no longer around. If it did come back, people would not honour their word in watching it (or buying in the case of an XR Wagon).

I support reunions perhaps once or twice a year though.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #273
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The solution here is to not screen any comedy of any shape at all in case it offends someone.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #274
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

harry has issued a statement about his reaction that may clarify things a bit

http://www.connick.com/home

Statement of Harry Connick Jr. Re Hey Hey Blackface Skit From Harry Connick, Jr. - Official Statement - 10/8/2009
Hi Everyone:

I am in Australia now promoting my new CD and I never imagined this trip would have so much controversy. I've visited Australia now for over twenty years. I love the Australian people. I particularly admire the Australians' love of life and their ability to laugh at themselves. Those of you who have seen my shows or seen me in several comedic skits on TV, know that I have absolutely no problem with comedic sendups or making fun of myself or others.

I have watched the media storm that has erupted over my reaction to the Hey Hey blackface skit. Where I come from, blackface is a very specific and very derogatory thing. Perhaps this is different in other parts of the world, but in the American culture, the blackface image is steeped in a negative history and considered offensive. I urge everyone in the media to take a look at the history of blackface to fully understand why it is considered offensive. I also urge you to review the Hey Hey tape and you will see that I did not ascribe any motives to anyone, nor did I call anyone a racist. The blackface skit was a surprise to me and I was simply shocked to see this on TV. I do not believe that the performers intended any harm.

I appreciate the folks who have written in support but please know that I allow everyone their own opinions and can only speak for myself.

-- Harry Connick Jr.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #275
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
harry has issued a statement about his reaction that may clarify things a bit

http://www.connick.com/home

Statement of Harry Connick Jr. Re Hey Hey Blackface Skit From Harry Connick, Jr. - Official Statement - 10/8/2009
Hi Everyone:

I am in Australia now promoting my new CD and I never imagined this trip would have so much controversy. I've visited Australia now for over twenty years. I love the Australian people. I particularly admire the Australians' love of life and their ability to laugh at themselves. Those of you who have seen my shows or seen me in several comedic skits on TV, know that I have absolutely no problem with comedic sendups or making fun of myself or others.

I have watched the media storm that has erupted over my reaction to the Hey Hey blackface skit. Where I come from, blackface is a very specific and very derogatory thing. Perhaps this is different in other parts of the world, but in the American culture, the blackface image is steeped in a negative history and considered offensive. I urge everyone in the media to take a look at the history of blackface to fully understand why it is considered offensive. I also urge you to review the Hey Hey tape and you will see that I did not ascribe any motives to anyone, nor did I call anyone a racist. The blackface skit was a surprise to me and I was simply shocked to see this on TV. I do not believe that the performers intended any harm.

I appreciate the folks who have written in support but please know that I allow everyone their own opinions and can only speak for myself.

-- Harry Connick Jr.

I respect that HCJ is a talented man. However in this case he could be the one standing red faced. Ever seen the movie "Tropic Thunder"?

In that movie it cast Robert Downey Jr playing an Australian actor playing and African American ........ he was painted up ...... but I guess that's OK cause it's Hollywood. Right?
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #276
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We hear in aus have to remember that the yank treated their african slaves very badly.
I seen on TV, Hermann goring at the Nuremberg trial. shot down the yanks and the poms for there history of treating people like s--t. Hitler was just following in there foot steps.
The yanks try to go on about our abo's treatment, but we did not make them work. but just disregarded them mainly.
And nothing has really changed. just a lot of spin and smoke and mirrors.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #277
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Ha.. Can anyone say BACKFLIP ??

Don't need any negative publicity when there's cd sales dollars on the same page eh..

money talks Harry walks

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #278
belvo

the thing is australia is such a non racist country that when we see people in black paint we dont find that offencive we think they were just paying homage to the jackson 5.

and on that part on the view how they went on about how australians no what black faces mean i had never heard about black faces in my whole life.

so i think americas the racist country for seeing harmless skits as being racist they did basicly invent racism i think they just try and forget that
belvo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #279
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
The solution here is to not screen any comedy of any shape at all in case it offends someone.
We should all just do nothing in case we offend somebody.
We need a limbo would where nothing happens, nothing is said...

But you may offend a chatterbox or people who want noise...

FACT: You cannot please everybody in the world.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #280
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvo
the thing is australia is such a non racist country that when we see people in black paint we dont find that offencive we think they were just paying homage to the jackson 5.

and on that part on the view how they went on about how australians no what black faces mean i had never heard about black faces in my whole life.

so i think americas the racist country for seeing harmless skits as being racist they did basicly invent racism i think they just try and forget that
I reckon Australia is a very racist country. It is just that we are tactful.

I bag certain cultures for their pathetic driving skills, but I don't yell it in their face.
I discussed the Aborigines last week with friends I picked up from the airport last weekend (they had been to Alice Springs and surrounding areas for two weeks). In public, I don't yell it out.

I think every nation has people who are racist.

Some nations are overtly against everybody else, while some are just careful with how they expres themselves.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #281
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvo
You must live in a different Australia than I do. I haven't seen the skit yet but racism is rife in Australia.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #282
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

First i would like to say Racisim has been around as long as the human race, every nation has it but the problem is admiting it, until then it will always be a problem....

As far as HHIS goes their was no malice intended, so as far as i am concerned does not constitute Racisim....

I am a Pom from birth, and if i had taken offence to every jibe poked at me in fun, i dare say i would be doing a long stretch in the big house....i think our skin is a bit thicker than the yanks....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #283
1970galaxie
Fat 460

The whole point is that the Red Faces skit was not an attempt at racism. It was a Red Faces act! And we all know that they are either serious sometimes, or supposed to make us laugh.
Connick needs to get that chip off his shoulder, and not worry about what we do in our country.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #284
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970galaxie
The whole point is that the Red Faces skit was not an attempt at racism. It was a Red Faces act! And we all know that they are either serious sometimes, or supposed to make us laugh.
Connick needs to get that chip off his shoulder, and not worry about what we do in our country.
More like "Black Faces"!

/end lame humor

I suppose this is why the USA took such an offense to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

I thought many more people here would know about it though, my parents didn't have a clue what "blackface" was.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #285
belvo

yer fair enough but we see racisim differnt to other countries we think of racism as puting down races but in america symbols are racist whilst in australia no one thought black faces was racist.
just think if harry cronic fr wasent there would all this fuss be made if you watched street talk this year there were so many time were sam was just as racist to black people he called serrena williams a monkey and sain he souldent see a black person in a hoody
belvo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #286
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

They replayed both reunion shows last night on GO.
The Jackson Jive act was no-where to be seen!
Dazza TT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #287
boss-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza XL
The Jackson 5 Red Faces act was no-where to be seen!
Yeah I noticed that.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #288
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Ho - Hum.........Hey, Hey it's so yesterday.............

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 02:07 AM   #289
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
First i would like to say Racisim has been around as long as the human race, every nation has it but the problem is admiting it, until then it will always be a problem....

As far as HHIS goes their was no malice intended, so as far as i am concerned does not constitute Racisim....

I am a Pom from birth, and if i had taken offence to every jibe poked at me in fun, i dare say i would be doing a long stretch in the big house....i think our skin is a bit thicker than the yanks....
You and me mate !, and I agree with you totaly ;), Born a pom and copped every joke under the sun but I laugh at them too ( as they are jokes ! ). I didn't find the HHIS red faces act offensive or racist at all, as it was a comedy act !. cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #290
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza XL
The Jackson Jive act was no-where to be seen!
It was edited and that part of the clip was removed from public view.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:29 AM   #291
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: Hey Hey it's saturday

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1227150431719

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #292
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Is that a wig?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #293
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

No maaaan, that was the groovy do we wore in the 70's.

That's his real hair.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #294
superyob
Banned

I don't remember Ozzy wearing a wig...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #295
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke View Post
Plucka Duck is one funny character, I am looking forward to see this duck back in action! :P
How out of control was Plucka. Hilarious.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #296
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bring it baaaaaaaak!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #297
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't wait! I miss John Blackman's random voiceovers and Andrew Fyfe's cartoons.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #298
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Harry wrecked any chance of hey hey coming back. They did the reunion show to see how well it would be received, if it was a winner they would have brought it back possibly monthly. But all Harry wanted was to cause a stir for his CD sales, thats exactly what happened, & they shelved the idea forever.. Sad really. The best couple of hours on tv for a long time..

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #299
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Harry who? About the only thing I remember about that was how incredibly HOT Jo Beth Taylor still was, watching her climb up onto a stool in that tiny skirt I nearly passed out.

It was her and 2 others in some segment on a judging panel.....I think...... Sod it. Can't remember!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #300
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

Harry Connick Jr was a guest judge on red faces and chose to be offended by an act that was a send up of the Jackson 5, white men in black make up.
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post