FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyman03 View Post
Hey,

Did you ask them about their advertising of it or did you ask about it....lol

Didn't listen to ya it sounds like

Spyman
I hope Ford "Marketing" have finally recognised the massive FAIL in their Marketing Strategy - by exclusively targeting insipid 20 something females, who they seem to assume are only interested in two F's.........NO, not that....boring Fuel Economy and Facebook.

If they ever recognise there is a much wider market (than girls who are generally not interested in driving), and re-discover some testosterone, and emphasise outstanding Driving Dynamics, Exhileration, Sport Performance (etc) - and even Sex Appeal, they might run the risk of gaining some street Credibility - and actually sell some cars.

They could not go wrong by revisiting the old BA TV Ad.....which actually sold cars !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDaLxN5FIjE
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
I hope Ford "Marketing" have finally recognised the massive FAIL in their Marketing Strategy - by exclusively targeting insipid 20 something females, who they seem to assume are only interested in two F's.........NO, not that....boring Fuel Economy and Facebook.

If they ever recognise there is a much wider market (than girls who are generally not interested in driving), and re-discover some testosterone, and emphasise outstanding Driving Dynamics, Exhileration, Sport Performance (etc) - and even Sex Appeal, they might run the risk of gaining some street Credibility - and actually sell some cars.

They could not go wrong by revisiting the old BA TV Ad.....which actually sold cars !!

Most young people arnt interested in driving, not just women.
They did a survey and the younger people saud they'd rather take public transport as they can play with their phone/tablets etc.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

The cars that already have that are selling without the need for marketing.
The ST range of cars sells quite well as did the previous XR5T which had next to no marketing. It's reputation was already known before they hit our shores.

The wider marketing to "girls" etc is because Ford want to expand their market and move away from being the "Falcon" company. Those who want a performance Falcon know of them anyway and will buy one, no need to really waste marketing dollars on that.
Old 24-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
There is a lot of marketing, in all areas, aimed at the 20-30 age group as they have the most disposable income.

Older age groups are more likely to spend their money on insignificant things like Rent, Mortgage, Family, Food

Didn't someone once say that they are not in the business of making cars. They're in the business of making money
Old 24-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
There is a lot of marketing, in all areas, aimed at the 20-30 age group as they have the most disposable income.

Older age groups are more likely to spend their money on insignificant things like Rent, Mortgage, Family, Food

Didn't someone once say that they are not in the business of making cars. They're in the business of making money

IIRC, that was Bunkie Knudsen while he was at GM who said that. He also had another famous saying - you can sell a young persons car to an old person but you can't sell an old persons car to a young person.

Ford AU's buyer demographic a few years ago was in the 47+ age bracket, it's a no brainer to try and reduce that by making the brand more 'exciting' to the younger generation, once you've got them the trick is to retain them so they continue buying Fords.

I think I saw a recent Holden ad that essentially described this by taking viewers through the SUV range through the ages, ie Trax>Captiva>Colorado.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
spyman03
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=stevefreestyle;5078939]I hope Ford "Marketing" have finally recognised the massive FAIL in their Marketing Strategy

Hey,

The only marketing will be about its long history and nothing about going forwards

Look to the gt-f write up of late all about the history and nothing about a car,to get ppl in to buy it as their is only 500 cars

Spyman
spyman03 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:

I don't know how far off they really are with their targeting though.
The only people I know who have bought brand new cars (I'm a 21 y.o guy for context) are 20 something and under girls.
Sure they're cars like i30's and Barina's but a sale is a sale.

While I'd rather buy a few year old Falcon for the same price as a new 3 or something, mine isn't 'cute' or 'tiny' or 'pretty' enough. So they see a sparkly new car with low interest rate (with a 5yr term and no deposit ): ) shimmering in the sun, go walk in the dealer and close the deal. Hardly a test drive, just a tech test. But that's what gets them going, what they see as value in a car.

Car guys don't need to be advertised to - they know whats out there and whats in the pipeline years in adavanced. I dare say I'll buy a new Mustang when I sell my car in 4 years odd. No advertising required.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2014, 01:06 AM   #8
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The problem is that non-enthusiasts are a far wider market than enthusiasts. There aren't many people that decide to buy cars because of the way it drives. Falcon is no longer a car for the masses, but a car catered to a niche market. People who want the new Falcon probably already know about it and are waiting to put a deposit on one. People who don't know about it probably wouldn't have bought a Falcon anyway, regardless of the advertising dollars spent.

BA was twelve years ago. Back then, the car was equipped and priced competitively. I don't think that can be said for the FG nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Most young people arnt interested in driving, not just women.
They did a survey and the younger people saud they'd rather take public transport as they can play with their phone/tablets etc.
And that's a damn shame.

As soon as I was 16 and 9 months, I wanted to get my learner's permit, but dad said I had to wait another six months until I had finished year 12. The very afternoon after I had finished my last year 12 exam, I went straight to the Department of Transport to get my Learner's Permit.

Kids these days don't know what they're missing.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #9
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post

Kids these days don't know what they're missing.
Ain't that the truth. There's been a noticeable trend (last 20 years?) of hotting up the stereo in a car, and leaving the motor stock!!! Whereas we (old bastards) had 'STP' 'Moon-equipped' and 'Wynns' stickers, these days it's 'Kenwood', 'Bose', 'Oakley'.......

Having said that, it IS amusing to see a bomb car at the lights with large subs shaking the plastic bits audibly Crackle Clack Doof Doof Crack Split.

When i'm cruising in the FG, always have to do something with the missus' sunnies, as they make a similar noise in the door pocket like a busted speaker.

Looking at V8SC crowds/followers (from where future rev-heads are spawned) there's a healthy groundswell of guys and gals coming up through the ranks, albeit in a minority of the whole populace - but there's hope!!

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn View Post
Ain't that the truth. There's been a noticeable trend (last 20 years?) of hotting up the stereo in a car, and leaving the motor stock!!! Whereas we (old bastards) had 'STP' 'Moon-equipped' and 'Wynns' stickers, these days it's 'Kenwood', 'Bose', 'Oakley'.......

Having said that, it IS amusing to see a bomb car at the lights with large subs shaking the plastic bits audibly Crackle Clack Doof Doof Crack Split.

When i'm cruising in the FG, always have to do something with the missus' sunnies, as they make a similar noise in the door pocket image like a busted speaker.

Looking at V8SC crowds/followers (from where future rev-heads are spawned) there's a healthy groundswell of guys and gals coming up through the ranks, albeit in a minority of the whole populace - but there's hope!!
Its because fast cars on the street are becoming pointless now. You cant speed anywhere and risk losing your license or getting a yellow sticker. Its another reason why the 4WD scene is picking up.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Its because fast cars on the street are becoming pointless now. You cant speed anywhere and risk losing your license or getting a yellow sticker. Its another reason why the 4WD scene is picking up.
I don't agree at all. Not that it's the thread for it, but to make an appreciably capable fourby means a car that's as roadworthy as a modified, and thus illegal and as useless (maybe even more), on the road as a modded performance sedan.

Tell me that to make a 4wd seriously capable off road (in the enthusiast type vein) that it would be roadworthy? Not a bloody hope in hell...
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post