Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Washing Machine Prob.

Hey mates,
Have just been reading back through the good old thread...
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...achine+problem

Lottsa laughs, and good indication of what it is that drives the FF's, we like mechanical things and fixing them.

My prob is this...

My daughters top loader, an old Westinghouse 425. The pumps, motors and etc work fine, but the 'knob head' that you use to select a program does not advance (i.e. rotate automatically) through the cycle. iow, it stay put on the sector you set it to.

I've squirted a bit of Contact Cleaner and Inox here and there, both sides of the top panel.

Don't worry, I'm pretty good with appliances, always unplugged when taken apart. Done this kind of stuff plenty of times.

Any thoughts on the fault much appreciated.

Cheers.

2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Washing Machine Prob.

sounds like the auto advance "ratchet" doohickey, whatsit, mechanism is either shot or seized or burnt out.

can you get a replacement switch off ebay, plenty of parts on there.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
XW WA

If the level switch does not make it wont power the timer. The level switch is a diaphram that is pulled in or out via air pressure from a tube that runs down to the wash tub. Grab the tube , blow into it and see if it switches.If there is power on the timer motor and its not working get a new timer
XW WA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
zilo
BANNED

I used to go to the recycling at my local tip for parts for our toploader.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #5
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks team,
darn those doohickeys.
Story is this, if you wish to engage....
So, daughter, basically unemployed i.e. unfinancial (but much loved by Dad = me) says machine is broke.
Ex wife (thank God), who has always flogged me to give my kids everything their heart desires, called me out of the blue, to demand that I go halves in a new washing machine for my daughter. I said I'll think about it.
Thinking about it, I grabbed the tools and popped over to daughter's and offered to have a look at the machine.
Her response was, (obviously, she had spoken to Mum), nah Dad, it's an old machine, I'll probably get a new one on credit (what credit?). Well, that was all the thought I needed, not that my daughter is selfish, but her Mum has taught her wrong.
Ex bought a new machine. Long story short, I grabbed hold of the old.
My intention is to fix it, sell it, without spending too much. The fact that it was able to wash a full a load of towels yesterday with a bit of nudging on the 'knob' says it is all there.
I'll take the selector off and give it a going over. If no go, I'll source a cheap replacement.
If I get the machine to work, I'll sell it for $50 with a kinda warranty. If it fails in six months, money back.
I just want to wave the $50 in the ex's face.
Thanks for replies, any other advice most welcome.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

"Knob head"

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Kevxr8Leexr6

Gotta love gen y . can offer a little advice , if the position that the timer stops on is the same every wash, check the operation of what its suppose to be doing, eg , pump rinse,drain. and check what component is used. if ok im guessing the timer as its an older machine and the micro switches inside are flatspotted stopping it from moving on to the next operation. timers are roughly $90-$110.
Kevxr8Leexr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Can you get parts for toploaders ??? LOL..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

F*I*X*E*D

Well, got a chance to have another play with the machine. Got stuck in to the selector (aka Knob Head) mechanism with more Inox, checked the water level switch, good clean with contact cleaner and gently blew into the little hose to loosen up the mechanism.

Back together. Small load of towels and away it goes. No problem at all.

The Knob Head felt quite - nah hang on, better change that - err, the selector felt quite stiff initially but loosened up good with the Inox. The little drive motor probably ran out of puff.

Thanks again for advice and suggestions.

And nah, I don't want to go waving money in any ones face, it's not cool and I've got to learn to let it be.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done, good result.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post