Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
tasauxr6vct
Starter Motor

Default au xr6 over heating low speed

Hey can't find any definite answers to this online but for the last 4 or so months my cars temperature has been hotter than usual the needle only spikes to the beginning of the 'normal section' when im not driving on a high way. But it used to stay very cold which results in my car going a lot quicker. It is fine on highways as cold air is keeping it cool i guess. Also the thermo fans are fine and are running at high speed when they should be.. you can really feel the loss of performance, it also get hot when u press it when it never used to. So apparently its i the normal section and mechanic says can safely go to half way BUT it used to always stay well within the first quarter on the temperature gauge so performance is greatly affected. Lucky its cold in tas now but when we had a hot dad few months back y car went to the red zone going up a hill and i lost heaps of fluid and burned most of my oil.. thermostat is all good and has appropriate amounts coolant , oil etc.. does this just leave the radiator or could it be related to something serious like ecu as other day no keys were in car and i opened glove box and radio came on and boot opened...

also when i brake the radio lights come on.. duno prob just bad earth or something i didnt do right when i reinstalled repaired pedal box etc

Cheers, i have so many more problems with the car that i will get to later...

tasauxr6vct is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Default Re: au xr6 over heating low speed

It'll most likely be your water pump or radiator. Or both. When was the last time they were done?
Old 14-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like you have a bad earth, this could cause the performance issues as when the car goes into limp home mode you loose power and it defaults to third gear. the temp reading may be inaccurate due to the earth issue

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
tasauxr6vct
Starter Motor

Im second owner and its at 267000 so ive had about 60000kms and never done either.. its a 5spd manual also. Can i just flush the radiator myself or is it better to get it done 'professionally'?

If i run the heater it cools down slightly but on highways perfect just short trips and anything under 60kmph. But its been cold lately its the hot days that it cant be driven
Old 14-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with the price of radiators now they are throw away items. to properly flush you really need to get it professionally done to get negligible results when you can get something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-Ford-F...item258021c37b for $125 flushing is not guaranteed to work and is only a bandaid solution . when you replace it use a good quality coolant for longer radiator life
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasauxr6vct View Post
Im second owner and its at 267000 so ive had about 60000kms and never done either.. its a 5spd manual also. Can i just flush the radiator myself or is it better to get it done 'professionally'?

If i run the heater it cools down slightly but on highways perfect just short trips and anything under 60kmph. But its been cold lately its the hot days that it cant be driven

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
tasauxr6vct
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
with the price of radiators now they are throw away items. to properly flush you really need to get it professionally done to get negligible results when you can get something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-Ford-F...item258021c37b for $125 flushing is not guaranteed to work and is only a bandaid solution . when you replace it use a good quality coolant for longer radiator life
Cheers heaps mate! Shouldve started posting on this site ages to solve these probs. Waterpumps arent expensive is it recommended change this at the same time anyway u think?
Old 14-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with the Ks it's done not a bad idea seeing you will be dumping the coolant anyhow

Rides: