Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
AU Mont
Banned

Default AU Series the new E-series?

I think all of us here sometime has praised the AU as a rugged reliable car, that surpasses the e-series which we all know havnt aged very well regarding reliability.

But as the AU gets older, is the "reliability" line wearing thin? Is it getting on in years enough to see many random problems popping up without the right care?

Or is the AU model still tough enough to become a reliable cheap car to own?

AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: AU Series the new E-series?

Its still tough and the best value 2nd car on the market is you need space and practicability.

B series is the new E series, you can keep that rear end.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
mikeeman_ford
EXR-699

I think parts are going to be harder to get, but they are easy cars to fix, the last of the single OHC, so the R&D was at the max.
They just need some TLC regarding servicing the gearbox and components and they will last for a while
They are just orphans becuase people thought they were ugly, so they are neglected in that respect. Bare bones, great car !!!

Visit my Blog lovemyfalc.blogspot.com
RIP - AU1 1999 XR6 VCT, Forever in my heart.
mikeeman_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lately I have noticed a few 6 cylinder AU's popping up with blown head gaskets...Suprises me because they have the MLS head gasket which is far superior than that on the E Series 6 cylinder engines. Poor maintenance for the most part regarding blown head gaskets in a AU.
In the end it all boils down to how you look after your AU. If it is serviced at the correct intervals and is looked after then it should give many more years of excellent motoring.
Like my dad always said "Look after your car and it'll look after you".
This user likes this post:
Old 03-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
But as the AU gets older, is the "reliability" line wearing thin? Is it getting on in years enough to see many random problems popping up without the right care?
Yep, our AU wagon that we recently offloaded was a pile of crap, it demonstrated that it was no different to all Falcon generations before it, age and wear take their toll. And as with every Falcon generation before it (and after it no doubt) as they get older and cheaper, clever bastards with the fix-it know how will keep them on the road no matter what.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Au's are better looking in my eyes for starters so i take a little exception to the title Depends on how much money you've got & how much you love them! Maintence is the key, but sourcing parts down the track may become a headache because all of us will be trying to buy em up! Its up to us to look after them properly & not let them run down - Au's have a unique place in automotive history thats for sure.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 03-07-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

upside to AU is that some parts are compatible with BA/BF as with its wheel offset and IRS prevent it i think from having the e-series (i.e old, last generation) stigma attached to them. Its asthetics are also a little head of its time.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Take it back op.

Take it back!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
AU Mont
Banned

since selling my AU i havnt had something to repair once a week......... i must be bored because i still miss it haha
Old 03-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
clever bastards with the fix-it know how will keep them on the road no matter what.
thats the thing, i really like the luxo AU's, but i wouldnt say im an enthusiast.

An enthusiast doesnt mind how often repairs are needed.

The regular guy who spends a heap of money fixing the thing, only to have more things go wrong puts it up on carsales and sells it. The description of the ad usually runs through all the stuff theyve spent repairing it to no avail
Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #11
portokatsiki

Au falcons are no different to any other series. If any series falcon is maintained the same and treated right they should last for ages inho
portokatsiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

I've recently been entertaining the idea of going b-series...

I feel dirty

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:

An enthusiast doesnt mind how often repairs are needed.
I can vouch for that..!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #14
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Having just bought another AU LWB. It surprised me how well it was maintained. Being a 'pretty much' one owner car for it's life may have played a big role in it though..
Now, I have changed quite a few things on it, radiator, struts, header tank, thermostat, coil pack, leads, plugs and brakes. But I figured that I will be keeping it for a while so I might as well start with everything done and then keep up the preventative maintenance to minimise any breakdowns.
Sure they're going on 15 years now. But by maintaining the 'up keep' they should be able to go on for another 15.

I would buy another AU and another and another and another..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #15
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
I think all of us here sometime has praised the AU as a rugged reliable car, that surpasses the e-series which we all know havnt aged very well regarding reliability.

Or is the AU model still tough enough to become a reliable cheap car to own?

Mate, they're rugged and reliable but s*** wears out after hundreds of thousands of KMs. It's called wear and tear. They're not indestructible!

LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Another few months and I will be joining the 300K club :o)
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #17
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think the BA boys have always looked at us "AU lads" the same way we did the “E series” boys. I always liked you could get E series stuff a lot cheaper than AU and there was so much guys had done with their rides on all levels (hard core rebuilds and plastic surgery like mine). Now time has passed you could say the same about how the “FG series” clan would look at BA’s (remember BA’s started rolling out in over 10 years ago).
I reckon just like the E series, as long as you can get parts at a good price, you are happy with the look and feel of your ride you will stay with it. As soon as it becomes a chore you will upgrade to whatever takes your fancy…
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post

Mate, they're rugged and reliable but s*** wears out after hundreds of thousands of KMs. It's called wear and tear. They're not indestructible!

wow 2 smileys........... mustve really hit a chord with you?
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni View Post
Another few months and I will be joining the 300K club :o)
I'm already there, 307,580 or something, she'll get to a million no prob!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the E series never had the reliability that the AUs have had. the AU will be remembered as the best built / engineered falcon in it's time. sure they are getting old and some poorly maintained ones are having issues but as a whole they are hard to kill. My experience from taxi days was positive and the AU walked all over the BA for reliability.
The AU I mainly drove as a cab is still on the road as a daily runaround and is now over 900 000 Ks and never had the head off it . starts first time every time

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: