Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
soulink

Default Changing Front Disk Rotors

Hey Guys,

I have AU series 2 S

I attempted last night to remove the two front disk's as they are warped and need changing. I was able to get the caliper loose to remove the old pads. However when it came to removing the two 15mm bolts that hold the whole break assemply on just will not budge, i have tried some wd40 and all the strength ive got and they will not move, i got a 15mm spanner and tried with a hammer no luck. Are they realy supposed to be this tight? I would rather do this myself than pay someone else(it is easy to do apart from this)

So overall is there a specific way to remove the bolts that makes it easier?

Thanks guys

soulink is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
parker

Default Re: Changing Front Disk Rotors

You're def doing it the right way? Hitting with a hammer should be more than enough.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The bolts are loctite'd in.

I use a ring spanner and a big rubber hammer to remove them.
If you persevere you'll get them off. Make sure you're undoing them (counter-clockwise).
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
4ford

Maybe you might think about getting the required torque on the ring or socket by extending the lever length.

By that I mean slipping a length of water pipe over the spanner or ratchet handle to lengthen the leverage you get.
This piece of water pipe needs probably to be about three times the original length of the spanner/ratchet handle.

Not only will the bolt(s) be easier to undo, but be easier to retighten, so be careful not to overtighten.

Also, remember to support the brake calipers when they are removed, don't let them hang by their brake pressure lines, important!

Good Luck!
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
soulink

Ok awsome info guys, so obviously if im looking at the disk from outside the car and i have a spanner on the bolt, i am making it go right (so if i was look at the bolt from the engine side i would be turning counter clockwise correct?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
BHDOGS
Banned

lefty losey righty tighty is my motto
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulink
if im looking at the disk from outside the car and i have a spanner on the bolt, i am making it go right (so if i was look at the bolt from the engine side i would be turning counter clockwise correct?
Yes, that's right.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

The pipe on the end of the spanner is a good idea.

Loctite is a right pain the first time you take off the calipers. You think you're going to break components, but you won't. LOL!

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
soulink

haha ok than ill give it another shot, if i smash my hand on the ground from pulling down with all my weight then it letting go therefore me shattering my hands on the cememnt floor ill let use know :P haha
Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Red face Re: Changing Front Disk Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulink
haha ok than ill give it another shot, if i smash my hand on the ground from pulling down with all my weight then it letting go therefore me shattering my hands on the cememnt floor ill let use know :P haha
Hopefully the pipe (long as you can) will mean you crack the Loctite before you scuff your knuckles.

Be careful though, been there and done that! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post