Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #121
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTWORKS
I've always found that if I don't like the way something is written...

I don't read it.
Sometimes I am the same, but if I can see that somebody has made a concerted effort to write something worth while and some words are phonetically spelt, well I can live with that, and I try not to judge the content of those comments on the basis of the spelling. If they whack in a gr8 or 2bz4u comment then I find that "great, I am too busy for them” as well.

Bud Bud
Old 01-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #122
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Strangers have the best candy.......
Old 01-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #123
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
*snip* After all, nobody here is writing the next piece of legislation to be presented to parliament next week are they?
Awww shux, I didn't realise parliament wasn't sitting next week

Bad jokes aside, you never know who may be hiding here.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #124
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you think Grammar on here is bad, you should try reading the Holden forums...

The issue is with the emergence of texting and fast online communication, grammar is not a priority any more. As a result, standards are falling.

There are plug-ins for web browsers that spell-check, but they do not check grammar. These can be quite useful.

In the end..what is more important: The grammar or the message ??

Last edited by AndrewR_AUII; 01-12-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #125
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I have started topics on other boards regarding grammar and spelling several times since 1996. This is not a really bad problem here in my experience though. I have been to several boards where it's been atrocious.

I'll say it right now, I am not perfect, but I try.

I don't know how many years of schooling people get in Oz but here in the States it is 12 grades plus Kindergarten (before grade 1). What I have told my fellow Yanks is if you cannot do something you learned for 12 years what does that say about you? Yes, we get 12 years of English, or Language Arts. Even with 12 years of learning how to spell and form a sentence these guys cannot write at a 6th grade level. When I have pointed this out to them I would get the following responses, and then my responses....

What are you, an English Teacher?

No, I just paid attention in class and learned what I was taught.

I didn't go to college like you did.

I never went to college either.

What does it matter how I type if I get my message across? (Usually not with correct spelling)

Because you have a high school diploma you should be able to write properly as an adult. If you still do not write properly it demonstrates a lack of pride in doing things as they should be done, so what else do you not care enough to do correctly? How do people know the advice you are giving is valid?

Those were the usual responses I got. There was one guy who had brain damage. Once he explained being in an accident and the difficulty he had he was seen in an entirely different light. That alone demonstrates that he was viewed by everyone with a notion of being less intelligent previously.

If someone is dyslexic it is better for me to know this rather than deduce their situation from their typing.

There are also cultural differences, like some words between Yank English and Oz English. That is what it is.

Everyone forms an opinion about those who post on here based on how they type. Face it, it's all you've got to go by.

For the record, my grades in English classes were not stellar, mostly because I did not do enough homework. Now, I write screenplays where one or two misspelled words will get your script thrown into the trash and you are classified as not professional enough.

...yet journalists who write for newpapers and magazines misspell words and knacker paragraphs regularly, and they went to college to write.

I don't use spell check. If you have a wrong word in place or the wrong form of a word spell check will not catch it. Since I have to check for these things anyway I check for everything. It's really hard to proofread your own writing because you already know what it is supposed to say, and you will repeat it in your head and skip right over the errors.

That's why it is gratifying to proofread my work. Depending on the length of a post, one or two honest mistakes is expected, unless I am writing a screenplay. Eeessshh!!!

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #126
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Good point... the greatest man ever was illiterate.
No I'm not?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #127
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch sign up numbers grind to a halt.

Grammar was taken out of public schools back when I was a kid. We are seeing the results now.

I interviewed for a copywriter in my last gig (online editor of Harvey Norman brands) and the applicants' grammar skills were shocking!

Slight segue: for a laugh, check out this thread I posted at Ausrotary. I was trying to find some good cars for a show that I'm helping to run, during the Eastern Creek 8 Hour race on 12 December. The thread quickly turned into a Fast Fours & Rotaries bashathon. The editor of FF&R got up and tried to defend the magazine. The resulting grammar check by members had me ****ing myself.

grama chuque I'll nyne :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
I don't mind internet speak, I grew up with it, and grew out of it just as fast.

I don't even give a damn if people miss out a letter or misspell a word, however after observing a number threads on a variety of forums, I propose a simple grammar test before users can sign up.

Example: http://www.anglolang.co.uk/cgi-bin/w...gi_quiz_form=1

While perhaps the solution would be to simply limit where users could post, rather than deny them the ability to view and contribute to the forums all together, it would mean a far more user-friendly experience overall... until someone gets drunk and starts posting

Some people can't seem to string a basic sentence together, and it's quite worrying, especially considering even at a year 10 level of education most should be able to write a letter with even rudimentary grammar and punctuation.

Call me a snob, say I'm discriminating if you wish, but I'm sick to death of having to spend 5 minutes deciphering what on earth the post is about.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #128
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just popped back in to have a look see - geez, guys, it's up to 5 pages long, surely the point has been made.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #129
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've asked for the thread to be closed already, I also believe it has now run it's course (as have others)

Just waiting on mods to have a spare moment
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 01-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #130
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
I've asked for the thread to be closed already, I also believe it has now run it's course (as have others)

Just waiting on mods to have a spare moment
Sorry bout that usually get into trouble form closing too quick. And because its closed up now none can pic on me spellin

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread