Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-06-2010, 02:33 AM   #31
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers mate, ill let ya no how i go,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 02:34 AM   #32
ED Ford Falcon

cheers
Old 13-06-2010, 02:37 AM   #33
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was told the noise can travel from any where in the engine bay, so its not wierd to hear it from under the car rather then the top

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 13-06-2010, 02:42 AM   #34
ED Ford Falcon

Sounds odd, but believable as there are many moving metal parts.

My hearing, and noise perception in general is terrible!
Old 13-06-2010, 03:18 AM   #35
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
Hmmm, never thought of the ring gear, or even the fly wheel for that matter

Could u link me to the thread, cheers
here's the thread, explains it all in there, when I took the inspection plate off i could hear the ticking quiet clearly in there. The nulon would have nothing to do with it. Anyway, just another ticking noise to look for, you said it was coming from the bottom, not the top. Us a bit of hose like a stethoscope to find noises, you can pin point noises accurately with a little bit practice.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11292564
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #36
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers for the link. It is strange it started after i put the nulon stuff in, like i said before that, couldnt hear the ticking noise at all, speacially under the car, then all of a sunden, it decides to come out, very strange. ill moniter it over the next few days before i do the oil change, cheers

Old 13-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #37
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, started the car this morning, no noise, no ticking noise in the vids,

Soon as it got to normal operating temp, it started, but was way quieter this time, not as loud as the other day,

Either its sorting it self out or the oil is getting back to where it needs to be

Will keep this updated

Old 15-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #38
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My cars been making the exact same sound for over a year. Its sounds like the mixing ball in paint can and gets louder as the revs and temperature increase. It's loudest at the bell housing but i think it is traveling and echoing in there cause i've had the torque converter replaced and they found nothing wrong with the flex plate.

I've also changed the oil multiple times since then and the noise is still the same.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 12:38 AM   #39
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
My cars been making the exact same sound for over a year. Its sounds like the mixing ball in paint can and gets louder as the revs and temperature increase. It's loudest at the bell housing but i think it is traveling and echoing in there cause i've had the torque converter replaced and they found nothing wrong with the flex plate.

I've also changed the oil multiple times since then and the noise is still the same.
Good description, similar sound in mine, sort of an irregular beat to it. I reckon it is the ring gear. Did you read that thread I posted above -they had the whole thing apart and missed it too.
Old 16-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #40
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Starters, if it was the ring gear and had a crack in it, it would of fallen off by now, as the starter motor uses the ger to crank the engine over

Second, my noise only appears at normal operating temperature and dose not increase with revs

Third, all my fly wheel bolts and torque converter bolts were all tightend up and locktighted together, so that instance wouldnt happen

Looks like the noise is going away, was alot better yesterday, seams to be fixing it self, im doing service on the weekend so i will let u no

Old 16-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #41
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Just do an oil change and make sure you use an oil flush as well when you do it, there is a great thread in the Mainlube section on the best way to do this. Repco sell and engine oil flush treatment that you use with a homebrand cheapo oil to clean it out.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #42
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers Rg, im doing a service on the weekend, going to 15w, 40 oil penrite, agian to see how it goes if it dosent help, i will have to go thicker oil, and if worse comes to worse, new lifters and rocker gear same time

Old 20-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #43
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just dropped the old oil out last night, the oil was as black as the ace of spades, yuck, so the cleaner obvisouly did its job as its nice and clean. put some 15w 40 in it, penrite oil, and a new filter, so i will see how it goes over the next week or so,

One noise which is happening is i have oil slap, where the crank is slapping agiants the oil, even at the full mark it slaps away,

And i need to replace the lifters, as there lil bit noisey

cheers, will keep this updated

Old 29-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #44
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the noise is still there, i went back to my mech and he pulled out a stethoscope and got under the car and listend to the sump/bell housing,

Its not comming from the sump or the housing, which is a sign of relief, but at about 1500 revs the lifters are very very noisey, will have to change them

Then i shall report back

Old 29-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #45
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I changed to GTX2 20w/50 (it says something like: "for older modern engines"). It quietened the lifters right down, the engine sounds much tighter, has more power, and revs harder without rattling.
Old 30-06-2010, 03:31 AM   #46
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

, i think as the oil gets hot and thin there is a bit of leakage in the high mileage lash adjusters, mine has a few slightly noisey lash adjusters noticeable at 100 kph(not bad enough to worry about) but it is annoying at times, i did a bit of homework with I6 lash adjusters, in earlier falcon lash adjusters you could disasemble them and put new seals with a seal kit, i`m pretty sure the au ones are throw aways, i priced them from ford spares $30.00 each , bursons wanted $15.00 each.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #47
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Auto one wanted 12 dollars each for a lifter

Old 30-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #48
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats a pretty decent price frd906, when i get around to doing mine i`ll do the whole lot i think , not worth mucking around to do the couple noisey ones then have another becomeing an annoyance shortly down the track, what about you?.
Old 30-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #49
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They way I look at it is, if the lifters are a bit worn then they may be noisy when the oil pressure is low (at idle), but when you're driving along there should be plenty of oil pressure to keep them pumped up. If noisy when driving I would say that the one way valve thingo is stuck open (with crap, or maybe just stuffed). A few of mine where sticking now and then, so I pulled them all apart, cleaned them up and squirted turps through the valve to try and clean out any crap (I used a long clear hose fitted over the valve assembly, filled the hose up with turps, then used compressed air (very low pressure) to push the turps through. Used the same turps over and over, until it got a bit dirty. Worked well, no more sticking. Later on I changed to 20W/50, and that really quietened things down.
Old 30-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #50
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i plan on changing the whole lot, at the same time

Old 02-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #51
sheppy

Sure it's not a buggered cat? Mine sounded very similar and only turned up when hot. Was worst at idle and low speed. Also sounded like it came from around the rear of the engine. I was terrified something was horribly wrong with my motor!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #52
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think my cat is echoing the noise from the head

Old 06-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #53
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The noise my car makes wouldnt be caused from piston slap would it

Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #54
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m thinking try and eliminate the valve gear as the source, perhaps remove the rocker cover after its warmed up and give it a little throttle(from under the bonnet) to the usual noisey place in the rev range, if you find one a little noisey, a light presure on it will usually quiet it down momentarily, sometime pouring a bit of oil slowly along the rocker gear will quiet them down for a second, watch out for oil splash, depending on what you find go from there.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #55
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

about 1500 revs top end is noisey, but after 1500 revs its quiet

Old 11-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #56
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was searching youtube for the ticking noise i have and came across this ba 4 ltr with the same noise i have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQnA_...eature=related

Must be common though, mine still hasent improved but i should be doing me lifters in couple of weeks

Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #57
The Monty
Just slidin'

I have a complete rocker gear here, came out of a low K au. If you want it its yours for $50.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #58
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

really, was it ticking or anything, just wanna no so i dont have to yank em out agian

Old 11-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #59
The Monty
Just slidin'

Not as far as I know.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #60
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thought i keep this updated,

Did a oil change about 3 weeks ago and seems to be getting worse, when im doing 60 kms an hour i can hear it knocking over my exhuast,

So looks like very soo ill be up for another engine swap,