Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-09-2005, 09:06 AM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ethanol?

Found this thread on the American Motors forum I frequent. Yes, I understand some of the issues involving mass production of Ethanol and some of the problems it causes in some vehicles .. but I thought a lot of the historic info detailed was interesting (if it's true?). Like this:

" .. When the car came into being as a major US player, there were basicly 3 main fuels available: Natural Gas, Ethanol, Gasoline ( this is non-diesel motors, ofcourse they had peanut oil, biodiesel, and hydrocarbon diesel at this time as well). It also should be remembered that electric cars were gaining in populatiry at the turn of the century as well but technology of the time made them inpractical. That left the IC as the technology of choice. Now initially ethanol was winning the war as far as primary fuel of choice. The reason. Most car owners lived on farms our out in the country. At that time gas stations just didnt exist and the oil pipelines also didnt exist in any form like today. Brew at home and drive. Need to fill up stop by a local farm, have dinner with them, socialize and fill up. However the oil companies made a bold move into the govt and got subsidizing for laying the foundation of the modern fuel delivery system. This caused gasoline to become more redaliy available and at the time, cheaper because we were not growing the super crops of today. Being, cheap, plenteful, and available made gas win out in the end. .. "

http://www.amcforums.com/cgi-bin/yab...5886345;start=

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

I can seriously see Ethanol/Methanol being a viable alternative to petrol in the future. It will require a great deal of research to get it to the same efficiency levels as petrol products, but as a long term fuel, it easily betters LPG, CNG and Hybrid alternatives.

Its also quite simple to make from the things our agricultural sectors throw away every year, excess fruit, straw, unused sugar cane, literally anything organic with starch can make ethanol. In the states they have a product called E85, which is 85% ethanol and 15% "Gasolene" which seems to run well in many vehicles there. Some are even being produced specifically for E85, or being E85 compatible.

http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php

check em out.

And I forgot to mention, its 105 Octane(MON I believe) for all the Higher Octane so must be better freaks.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Last edited by Sourbastard; 13-09-2005 at 11:04 AM. Reason: forgot
Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post