Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

Default Legalities of After Market Tail Lights

Can some one please shed some light on what the actual Australian standards are for all after market tail lights fitted to cars...Just curious as I was nearly defected today for mine after having them on the car for nearly 2 years,and today I get booked for having them by a HP,yet local policeman said they were right and to go see my solicitor for more info???If someone could help me out on whats the law,I would be greatly appreciative....

2009 TWEEKD FG XR8 IN SILHOUETTE
all mods done by Walter Markham from Oztek Performance
killerjoolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd contact my states vehicle licensing authority, better still write a letter so they write back and then it's in writing.
I notice some european cars have them factory so go figure.
Old 16-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
SVD

if they aint adr they aint legal, simple.
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nothing to do with the state. if they are marked ADR approved they can't touch you, if they aren't you are breaking the law
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
I'd contact my states vehicle licensing authority, better still write a letter so they write back and then it's in writing.
I notice some european cars have them factory so go figure.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

so should they have the ADR approved stamp on them???The HP told me I could keep them in my car if I put red tape over the white reflector or painted the it red???

Old 16-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
MAV50L
Banned

If the reflector is white , yep they are illegal.
Any rear facing reflector has to be red , forward facing can be white.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
If the reflector is white , yep they are illegal.
Any rear facing reflector has to be red , forward facing can be white.
thanks for that,so he said I can paint the reflector RED,is this legal....oh I'm in NSW btw..

Old 16-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
BLKWDW

If the reflector is white then i'd say there not adr complient otherwise the reflector would be red.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Xsessi...3215500?ref=mf
Cheers Daz.
BLKWDW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

no they are not...I just asked where I purchased them from and they said NO...back to standard tail lights I go...:(

Old 16-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering the smallish community you live in and the standout car you drive, going back to standard would be the best option. Or buying compliant ones. I'm surprised you got caught out in the first place. I sometimes wonder how some parts places are allowed to sell items, that are not legal in their state, without appropriate warnings.
Old 16-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

it was an out of town highway patrolman...its all good,standards are back and I'll cop it sweet,if they're illegal they're illegal,not much I can do about it....

Old 16-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

To be ADR compliant, they must be tested, and once tested, they get to use the (E) (E in a circle) mark on them.

But as mentioned, you have to have red reflectors on the back of the car. You could get around not having them in the tail lights by adding some red reflectors on the bumper or something. (I believe Holden did this on the VX, as there wasn't any reflectors in the tail lights)

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #13
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

yeah actually all the later model holdens are like that,the policeman even showed me his and pointed out that I could add red reflectors to my bumper,but there are standards for this also,like height from ground etc etc

Old 18-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #14
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
To be ADR compliant, they must be tested, and once tested, they get to use the (E) (E in a circle) mark on them.

But as mentioned, you have to have red reflectors on the back of the car. You could get around not having them in the tail lights by adding some red reflectors on the bumper or something. (I believe Holden did this on the VX, as there wasn't any reflectors in the tail lights)
Ya, BUT he'd have to neutralise the existing (and quite dumb) white reflex reflector also. The officers advise to apply red paint is in error.

Another issue is that the aftermarket individual lamp functions may or may not be up to required photometric performance either. (Brightness and angle of view).

As ye say - stay away from aftermarket taillights (or front fogs and headlights) unless the lamps bear E markings appropriate to each function, or are those bearing Australia's "E45" world homologation certification.

To date, seen only one set of lamps bearing (E45)! :-) (A lamp tested under the world system domestically, probably by a firm in Melbourne somewhere).
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
Springfield_Johny

Actually sounds like a decent cop, pointing out what was wrong, telling you ways you can solve the issue etc etc.

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandjus
Actually sounds like a decent cop, pointing out what was wrong, telling you ways you can solve the issue etc etc.
he still fined me though....:(

Old 27-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #17
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

update....went back to standard ones,getting used to them now,they don't look too bad...lol

Old 27-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #18
lubby1

You probably did the right thing killerjoolz, they dont look bad at all and it saves you the trouble of getting a defect sticker removed. (thats a pain)
lubby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

yep so true...lol