Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #61
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
Yeah I get crap about my last name it's polish. it's one of those long names ending in ski. But I just turn around an say "My grandfather fought in WWI, my dad, his brother(my uncle) and grandfather in WWII and my eldest brother in Nam. And I can show you the registries to prove it. And on my mums side she's PNG her father(my other grandfather) was a fussy wussy angel. So you think your still more Australian then me?" And that usaully shuts them up.
Hopefully we are going down a path where we will not need to have to explain our ethnic backgrounds, or defend where our heritage came from or still lies.
That to me would be a truly great Australia Day outcome
Old 25-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #62
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods

It's something to think about before inking your body with something that is supposedly "Australian."
i could pick the "aussie" southern cross from any of those flags quite easily. count how many southern cross logos appear on the current one day cricket uniform. doesnt get much more aussie than one day cricket.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #63
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
Hopefully we are going down a path where we will not need to have to explain our ethnic backgrounds, or defend where our heritage came from or still lies.
That to me would be a truly great Australia Day outcome
Anyone that calls Australia home and loves this country, as a free country where everybodies equal is Australian.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #64
Fled74
The Thread Killa

My wife and I are Filipino by birth, we've lived in Melbourne for 6 1/2 years, we got our citizenship (and passports) 3 years ago, our daughter was born here just before that.
I contribute to society and try to build a life for my family.
Talk to me on the phone and you'd never realise you were speaking to an Asian.

To me, that makes me Aussie, and I celebrate that with the Aussie flag stickers on our car's rear window (we're having a barbecue tomorrow too).

I've been called "slope head", "yellow peril", and the like, but I know that's just the great Aussie tradition of taking the mickey. Where else could verbal abuse be a sign of affection?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #65
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
My wife and I are Filipino by birth, we've lived in Melbourne for 6 1/2 years, we got our citizenship (and passports) 3 years ago, our daughter was born here just before that.

To me, that makes me Aussie, and I celebrate that with the Aussie flag stickers on our car's rear window (we're having a barbecue tomorrow too).

I've been called "slope head", "yellow peril", and the like, but I know that's just the great Aussie tradition of taking the mickey. Where else could verbal abuse be a sign of affection?
Fair enough fled74, but I wonder if a lot of other asians take being called slope head and yellow peril so affectionately??
Old 25-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #66
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've had the aussie flag as a dash matt for the better part of a year and I never seems to cop any grief. If anything people look at me then look away as soon as they see the flag, as if im about to belt the daylights out of them like a "true aussie"

Gives the car something different, as costs one hell of a lot less than a proper dash matt :P my main reasoning.

I usually fly a couple of those little flags on australia day just to join in the festivities
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #67
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:

You hit the nail on the head, at work we are so multinational that the Australian sense of humour is taken as racism. So you find yourself watching what you say in case it offends somebody. I wish that more new Australians could see it that way. Good on you mate and I'm proud to call you Australian. _2:
Old 25-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #68
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head, at work we are so multinational that the Australian sense of humour is taken as racism. So you find yourself watching what you say in case it offends somebody. I wish that more new Australians could see it that way. Good on you mate and I'm proud to call you Australian. _2:
XBROO, have a think where just these 2 (affectionate) names came from and suggest that they are used as some sort of "Australian sense of humour"
I'd still suggest that the majority of people recieving these tags would find them extremely distasteful, even though the giver wonders why they don't share in this "Aussie sense of humour"
Old 25-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Last year at school (I've finished now) in our group of friends we'd refer to each other as racist names depending on where/what religion you/your parents/ancestors where from as some fun and we'd pick on each other just for a few laughs but we never took it or meant it seriously. We judge people on their actions, not their race/skin colour.

You don't have to be white or born here to be Australian, "Australian" isn't even a race, its a bunch of communities who come together as one I reckon.

My Nonno, fought against the Allies in WWII and he come over here after the war and got a job, married and raised 2 kids and before he died, my sister made him an Italian flag and he said to her "burn it, I'm an Australian".
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #70
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
XBROO, have a think where just these 2 (affectionate) names came from and suggest that they are used as some sort of "Australian sense of humour"
I'd still suggest that the majority of people recieving these tags would find them extremely distasteful, even though the giver wonders why they don't share in this "Aussie sense of humour"
I know where your coming from mate, but when a true blue Aussie says things like that, they aren't trying to be disrespectful. It's the way olden day Australia was, but I guess times are changing and it is no longer acceptable even if it was in a light hearted way. It's a shame because back then you called each other anything underneath the sun and it was laughed upon. And if you ever needed a hand that same person would be there for you. Black, yellow or white.
Old 25-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #71
Chopped
as in chopped

Keep it how it is and fly it when you feel the need too. (we don't need Ray Martins head on there though!)

maybe >
Old 25-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #72
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Hardly any Australians seem to even realize that the Southern Cross appears in any form on any other flag other than Australias.
It's something to think about before inking your body with something that is supposedly "Australian."
Next you'll be trying to tell me the Union Jack is on other flags aswell.
Must have missed when people started calling it "The Australian Cross"?
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #73
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
Keep it how it is and fly it when you feel the need too. (we don't need Ray Martins head on there though!)

maybe >
Now that makes a good aussie flag!
Old 25-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #74
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Fair enough fled74, but I wonder if a lot of other asians take being called slope head and yellow peril so affectionately??
I have to admit that when I started my first job here I had a major case of culture shock. Where I come from, swearing is frowned upon in the workplace, and if a boss does it when speaking to an employee he can get into a lot of trouble.

I was pretty thin-skinned back then, and took offence very easily, and I didn't stay in that job for long. With my second job, I worked with a couple of old Aussie blokes who taught me a lot about the Aussie culture and sense of humour. I owe a lot to them.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that immigrants need to make an effort to assimilate and not stick to their own ethnic groups. Sure, it's comfortable and familiar, but I feel they'll never be truly "Aussie" until they break out of that comfort zone. I did it, and it's not that hard.

My only real complaint now is that I'm always being mistaken for a kid in my 20s (I'm 35). My advice: when guessing an Asian's age, add about 10 years and you'll be about right.

Flying the flag tomorrow, and if people dont like it they can toss my salad. ;)

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 25-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #75
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

My only real complaint now is that I'm always being mistaken for a kid in my 20s (I'm 35). My advice: when guessing an Asian's age, add about 10 years and you'll be about right.
I know what you mean we have alot of chinese were I work, and they are always older then what they look.
Old 25-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #76
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

It is disappointing that we live in an age where the southern cross is associated with racism. I saw a car the other day with the southern cross and "white pride" written underneath it. What suprised me the most is that i DIDNT see the car completely smashed up and torched on the side of the road. Disgusting really.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #77
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah I get crap about my last name it's polish. it's one of those long names ending in ski. But I just turn around an say "My grandfather fought in WWI, my dad, his brother(my uncle) and grandfather in WWII and my eldest brother in Nam. And I can show you the registries to prove it. And on my mums side she's PNG her father(my other grandfather) was a fussy wussy angel. So you think your still more Australian then me?" And that usaully shuts them up.
Just ask them who the tallest mountain in the land is named after!
Old 25-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #78
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Flag is flying proudly from my boat now. Maybe when things calm down around home I can fly some more there too.

The funny thing is that as soon as people hear you are from The Shire (which includes Cronulla for the non-Sydneysiders) they automatically assume you are racist when you are anything but. Hell even I can't spell my surname sometimes ;)

I guess the irony is not lost on them that they feel free to have a go at all people from the Shire being prejudiced and racist and label me simply because of my postcode (which is not tatood on my body) when I am anything but.

Guess irony to those people is just something you do to crumpled shirts.

Looking forward to some sailing, wakeboarding and bbqing on the beach tomorrow with mates. Nice.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #79
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Australia Day is awesome. In previous years I used to get people yelling abuse to me to the tune of "Go back to your own country! We don't need you here!" I'm Asian by the way and have been here for 21 years now since I was 9 which makes me 30 now. My comeback is usually "Yeah? I'm in our Navy. I'm doing my bit for this country. What do you do?" They either mumble some swear word or just remain silent and keep walking. It was gold. haha

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #80
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Just ask them who the tallest mountain in the land is named after!
I like that one.
Old 25-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #81
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
My comeback is usually "Yeah? I'm in our Navy. I'm doing my bit for this country. What do you do?" They either mumble some swear word or just remain silent and keep walking. It was gold. haha
That's awesome. My brother wants to move here and join the Army. What could be more patriotic than taking up arms in defence of our homeland?

Old 26-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #82
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Read my post before replying.

I wrote "I don't know what's more anti patriotic than a southern cross tattoo"
Not "I don't know what's more anti patriotic than a southern cross"
Today the southern cross tattoo is a fashion symbol, not a patrionic one. I was going to get one, then everyone did. People get them to be 'cool' not aussie.
Because you know everyone that has one and their motives behind doing so?
Everyone i know that has one got it because they are proud of this country.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #83
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

We're flying a couple of Aussie flags we got from Bunnings on the way to our campsite in Lorne on the tent, but have been completely outdone by a brown LC torana two sites down that has two smaller flags af the front, and a full size flag attached to the roof racks which looked pretty cool as we were following him into town on Saturday!
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #84
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Sorry... wrong thread. haha

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #85
dsyfer

Does anyone else see the irony when some drongo uses the anniversary of white immigration (yes white people immigrated here originally or were deported here) to have a go at someone else doing the same thing, just a few hundred years later?

What I would have loved to have seen, was captain cook rocking up in his boat to a thousand black fellas wearing "************** off we are full" t-shirts.

anywho, who's got the Pale Ale, need one here stat.
dsyfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #86
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that immigrants need to make an effort to assimilate and not stick to their own ethnic groups. Sure, it's comfortable and familiar, but I feel they'll never be truly "Aussie" until they break out of that comfort zone. I did it, and it's not that hard.
I think thats great advice their mate, but on the same token you don't want to loose your heritage and cultural identity at the same time. I think there is room for both.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #87
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
I agree with this. I have no issue with people from other countries coming here. I was born in England anyway so I cant accuse others. I think they do need to adapt to Australia way of life though to a degree.
And one thing I dont understand is living here and not learning the language. Should be a compulsory.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #88
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

From what I've seen there are just as many "ethnics" flying the Aussie flag as "Aussies". Some people should get out more.