Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 06-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Wundy_30

Unhappy 2004 1.6 auto fiesta, small running tumble.

Hey guys,

My wife's 2004 fiesta has recently developed a small intermitant stumble while driving it. What happens is that the car will either be changing up a gear (auto) or will be already in drive with constant mid range revs and the auto momentarily stutters and the engine light will flash on and then go off when the stumble stops. Very strange! I think the engine is not the problem but not 100% sure.

The car only has 75,000kms on the clock and is driven regularly with no hassels until now.

It is due for a service, but I'm not sure what service issues would cause this.

My only ideas atm are an intermitant fault in a sensor, or maybe a loose band in the auto?

The car will be serviced soon, but any ideas on the cause of problem would be appreciated.

Lastly, does anyone know a safe source where I can find a 2004 fiesta workshop manual in PDF.

Thanks.

Wundy_30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Wundy_30

Okay, I took the car for a test run and tried all variations of shifting and all variaitions of selecter position. I've determined that it's gearbox related and believe it to be slipping bands, 1st-2nd.

Does anybody know how to adjust the bands or check that they are within spec?
Does anyone have or know where I can get a service manual for the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Wundy_30

Okay, even tho no one replied, I'll close the loop for anyonw that may read this in the future.

I took the car to a service centre today to see if they could diagnose it or even tell me what the problem may be off hand. $80 of diagnosis later and they determined that the coil pack was on the way out! Yes, very far from the auto, I know....

This makes sense tho, as when the drive felt like it was slipping, it was just weak firing from the intermitent coil. It supplied enough juice to the plugs to create a weak spark and keep the engine running smooth but not enough to burn mixture properly.

$400 later and I have a new coil pack installed within the day.
Coil pack was around $220 and the rest was labour and GST.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.
Pretty poor for the coil pack to only last 75,000!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but it sounded to me like an ignition problem. I was going to suggest the plugs might be getting fouled, not uncommon on the WP. I'm surprised the coil pack was shot.
Did they change the plugs as well? It'd be worth putting some platinums in if they haven't.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Wundy_30

No they did'nt change the plugs, but checked them aswell as the leeds. Everything else seemed fine apparently. I suppose the coil pack must have been faulty or just decided to pack up.

When you think about the problem, it makes sense that it was an ignition problem, but really seemed like it was the auto.

The main reason I was set on that was because the problem was rpm and engine load dependant. But as it turns out, so is the coil pack...

Cheers.
Old 24-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
frinik

I had a similar problem around a year ago back at around 40 000kms. (WP Zetec)
My service center said its a known problem with the WP. After a misdiagnosis (I assume it was to get more money out of me) and a return trip to the service center they replaced it for me for free under warranty. It might have been 1month out of warranty.
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post