Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 24-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
doctamick

Default Small niggle with WS engine

Hey All,

The last few times I have driven my car, I have noticed that the engine runs a little rough when cruising in fifth gear at about 60-65 km/h. It feels as though there is a slight misfire under light loads at this low rpm range (approx 2000 rpm). It seems to only occur when the engine is cold, and does not happen after 5-10 minutes of driving.

I wonder if there is some build up on the plugs. I usually do primarily long drives from Melbourne to Geelong, however in the last couple of weeks I have been doing many short trips of only approximately 10 minutes. So maybe the engine is running rich during most of this period (due to cold start settings) and does not have time to burn off any carbon deposits on the plugs?

I am not sure if this is related to the stalling / flat spot problem described in this post: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8&page=1&pp=25

The car is a manual WS Fiesta Zetec and has done 13,500km. So it hasn't had its first 'real' service. Did anyone with a manual car get an ECU update on any of their services? (I know that there was one for the auto.)

Any of your experiences would be great, as it will provide me with more 'ammunition' when I speak to the dealer about it at the 15k service.

doctamick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
JClarke
Deaf Driver

It may be related to the stalling/flat spot - or due to the fuel impacting with the engine. If it stalled spot on, and you attempted to start with no luck, try and give it a good rev and start. But it is not a good idea to be in 5th gear during the 60 - 65km/hr range -- best to remain on 4th in the mid -high's (3500 rpm)
Old 25-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Don't labour the engine, especially when its cold
Old 28-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
doctamick

Thanks for the comments. Has anyone had any experiences like this with the 1.6L WS engine?

I don't believe that cruising (not accelerating) at 2000 rpm in 5th gear is labouring the engine. There still seems to be adequate response at this load/rpm range and no strain on the engine.

Also, I don't think that cruising at such high revs (3500rpm) is an adequate solution to the problem... apart from the the adverse affects this will have on my fuel consumption. ;)
Old 28-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Busted

Change back to 4th. Problem solved!
You will more than likley be using more fuel in 5th @ 60-65ks than you would be in 4th. Even with the higher revs. you may not think that the engine is labouring but it will be. There such a good engine thay have the ability to hide the fact your in the wrong gear.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
doctamick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted
Change back to 4th. Problem solved!
You will more than likley be using more fuel in 5th @ 60-65ks than you would be in 4th. Even with the higher revs. you may not think that the engine is labouring but it will be. There such a good engine thay have the ability to hide the fact your in the wrong gear.
No, it is NOT problem solved. Even if the engine was labouring (which it is not), it should not misfire at 2000rpm.

I do not want to move this thread onto the topic of economical driving techniques, so can you please only provide comments if you have had a similar experience.
Old 28-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctamick
No, it is NOT problem solved. Even if the engine was labouring (which it is not), it should not misfire at 2000rpm.

I do not want to move this thread onto the topic of economical driving techniques, so can you please only provide comments if you have had a similar experience.
Well out of the 4 replies 4 peaple think you may be labouring the engine & think that it may have somthing to do with the problem you have. Before you dismiss the 4 peaple who are trying to help you why don't you try & see if driving in 4th @ 60-65ks when the engine is cold changes anything.

PS. I'm sorry for saying problem solved I should have said maybe problem solved.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
Ben85

I kno i have a WQ, but since new, hot or cold my car has run fine in top slot upwards of 50kph, so i agree with you doctamick, your car should run fine in top slot doing over 60kph and if it doesnt there is a problem.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
Dustproof

Default Engine Labouring

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctamick
Thanks for the comments. Has anyone had any experiences like this with the 1.6L WS engine?

I don't believe that cruising (not accelerating) at 2000 rpm in 5th gear is labouring the engine. There still seems to be adequate response at this load/rpm range and no strain on the engine.

Also, I don't think that cruising at such high revs (3500rpm) is an adequate solution to the problem... apart from the the adverse affects this will have on my fuel consumption. ;)
Cruising in 5th at 60Kph is fine, the engine will pull smoothly. My WS has 4000Km's on it and is getting better and better, if your car is causing you problems I would whip around to Ford and tell them to fix it ... don't forget to say please, they like that :sm_headba
Old 28-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
BruceT

My WS 1.6 is smooth down to 1500 rpm in 5th - about 50 km/h - although acceleration from there is slow. By the way, what fuel are you using?

I'm not an automechanic, but I could imagine several possibilities such as ignition timing off or fuel injectors need cleaning. Is it idling rough as well? Best to get it checked.

- Jeremy Clarkson on the WS Fiesta Zetec
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree they are fine in top gear at 1500 rpm and up. I drive in 5th everywhere pretty much :P it does use less fuel than 4th. There's a definate problem with it if it's missing at 2000 rpm (or anywhere). Just take it into the dealers and tell them to fix it. Ours will be going in for the 30k service with in a month. No real problems with it apart from the usual struggle with getting the thing in reverse (can't be much steel left on reverse gear by now). We are minmising the damage by selecting reverse the night before when it's parked, otherwise getting reverse can be quite difficult on a cold morning. I wonder if the clutch needs adjusting or something because you can't go from 1st to reverse with the car moving at all, total impossible with lots of grinding

Last edited by greenfoam; 29-09-2009 at 08:08 AM.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #12
Fi.ES.TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
I wonder if the clutch needs adjusting or something because you can't go from 1st to reverse with the car moving at all, total impossible with lots of grinding
Definatley not reccomened in any manual car and i reckon somewhere
in the users manual it will tell you not to do this.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Fi.esta's correct - I have seen the quote in the manual myself - not recommended to do so, just give it a nice jab when you turn into reverse, and you're good to go...
Old 30-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #14
south21

The manual recomends you wait 5 seconds before putting it into reverse, once stopped.
south21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
doctamick

Thanks for the feedback.

Busted: Sorry if I sounded rude in my previous post, but I don’t believe that I should have to avoid this rpm/load range, just to avoid the problem.

BruceT: I use Caltex Vortex 95. It always idles smoothly.

It seems like others have not experienced the same problem. I was hoping that it was a known issue, that had a known remedy.

Anyway, I will discuss it politely with my Ford dealer at the 15k service within the next week or so. The problem does not happen all the time, so it may be difficult to diagnose.