Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #91
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50
Here Here.
It seems modern man has forgotten the moral principals our forefathers fought so hard for, and the main one was 'Equality'.
An employee has a vested interest to protect/honor their employer TO A DEGREE, however should they be punished for the wrong doing of management who have clearly failed to predict/respond to changing markets, products, technologies etc?. After all, it is their job (managements) that should bear the responsibility for all. Its the decisions they make which steers the company in either direction.
Sure, they take a wage freeze, though its slightly different being frozen on say $50k versus $125+k.
Remember, no major gave you a pay rise coz they liked you - it was faught for. out: out: out:
Thats one thing that troubles me about Ford. The management, product planners and sales and marketing teams are never held responsible when they make mistakes ie. the failure of the FG Falcon launch. It took Marin's appointment to slowly start to turn it around, but when the FG tanked early on it was the employees on the plant floor that suffered and got laid off, while those directly responsible for failing to read the market, and the pathetic job they did in selling and advertising the product went untouched. The people who make the wrong calls are the ones who should be held responsible for their mistakes. Tom Gorman was never held responsible for his job of totally mis-managing the company and nearly sending it to the wall, if anything he was actually rewarded by keeping his job for what I believe was the longest time period that FoA has ever had the one president for. He wasn't even sacked for the poor job he did, he left on his own accord, although he may have been pushed, not that the company would ever admit that.

Bill Osbourne tried but he was handed the poison chalice from Tom Gorman and couldn't clean up the mess. At least Marin has that one thing Geoff Polites always talked about, passion. Its amazing what happens when you have someone in charge who has a real passion for the place. Hopefully Detroit will learn that next time they appoint a president for FoA.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #92
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
when the FG tanked early on it was the employees on the plant floor that suffered and got laid off
Thats the obvious downside of being at the bottom of the food chain. The solution to that would be to have gotten different qualifications etc and choose a different career path.

Quote:
while those directly responsible for failing to read the market
Given that the FG was in development for YEARS before release, when it became clear the market was becoming unfavourable for large cars, what would you expect Ford to do? Turn it into a hybrid 3mths before launch?

If I was able to read the market that many years in advance, I most certainly wouldnt be working for Ford would I? I'd be in oil futures....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #93
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Thats the obvious downside of being at the bottom of the food chain. The solution to that would be to have gotten different qualifications etc and choose a different career path.

Given that the FG was in development for YEARS before release, when it became clear the market was becoming unfavourable for large cars, what would you expect Ford to do? Turn it into a hybrid 3mths before launch?

If I was able to read the market that many years in advance, I most certainly wouldnt be working for Ford would I? I'd be in oil futures....
In terms of marketing for the FG is couldn't have missed its target more if they tried. I wasn't referring to the actual car itself, there's nothing wrong with it, it was the sales and marketing that were a failure. If you have a superior product to the opposition and they smash you in sales you have failed.
Old 20-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #94
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In terms of marketing for the FG is couldn't have missed its target more if they tried. I wasn't referring to the actual car itself, there's nothing wrong with it, it was the sales and marketing that were a failure. If you have a superior product to the opposition and they smash you in sales you have failed.
You can't overcome brand loyalty in a single month... it takes years, even decades to do that. No amount of feel good advertising will solve that short term.

Old 20-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #95
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
You can't overcome brand loyalty in a single month... it takes years, even decades to do that. No amount of feel good advertising will solve that short term.
The BA managed to outsell the VY on a few occasions, it was a superior product and it was advertised and marketed very well.

There's no reason why the FG couldn't do the same if it was advertised and marketed properly, which is starting to happen now, and what do you know, sales have increased.

Brand loyalty will only take you so far if your product is inferior to your opposition, but yes, alot of Holdens sales come from braindead Holden loving bogans who don't know any other brands exist. But Ford can't use that as an excuse because they also have a lot of brand loyalists, just not as many as Holden.
Old 20-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #96
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
The BA managed to outsell the VY on a few occasions, it was a superior product and it was advertised and marketed very well.
Two months from the entire model cycle.
Old 20-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #97
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Two months from the entire model cycle.

It could have been bigger if Ford could actually build cars.. At the time Ford were building Territory and Fairlane as well, and also utes which outsold Holden for years.

With more capacity they could have sold more cars, how long were people waiting for XR6 Turbos and XR8s in the early days.. Months...
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #98
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
It could have been bigger if Ford could actually build cars.. At the time Ford were building Territory and Fairlane as well, and also utes which outsold Holden for years.

With more capacity they could have sold more cars, how long were people waiting for XR6 Turbos and XR8s in the early days.. Months...
That was never gonna happen (increasing production) Ford were on 550 gross units a day and working a full Saturday. But during the BA days...even during the down balances in 06 Ford was still selling more aussie vehicles in Oz then Holden was.

Also when the BA was released it cut Holdens market share and put end to their 3rd shift.
Old 20-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #99
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

What was the thread about again..... used:

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #100
au adam

Fords problem is that there are too many chiefs and not enough indians.Too many Managers positions sucking up the $$
au adam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #101
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by au adam
Fords problem is that there are too many chiefs and not enough indians.Too many Managers positions sucking up the $$
Not true.....

That is the reason for their predicament is it ?

FoA's structure is a LOT flatter than even a few years ago. The organisational "Pyramid" is not pointy at all.

In the end labor costs are not a huge part of the vehicle cost, it's the material, and investment in equipment and tooling to make the end product.

So management salary costs aren't even a blip on the radar in the cost of a Falcon or the resultant profits.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #102
au adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Not true.....

That is the reason for their predicament is it ?

FoA's structure is a LOT flatter than even a few years ago. The organisational "Pyramid" is not pointy at all.

In the end labor costs are not a huge part of the vehicle cost, it's the material, and investment in equipment and tooling to make the end product.

So management salary costs aren't even a blip on the radar in the cost of a Falcon or the resultant profits.

My information came from Graham Wadsworth(try Google),who has recently go off the so called pyramid.I take his word for it.
Old 21-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #103
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
My information came from Graham Wadsworth(try Google),who has recently go off the so called pyramid.I take his word for it.

Obviously someone completely impartial and unbiased :evil3:

I know otherwise.....
Old 21-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #104
au adam

Quote:
Obviously someone completely impartial and unbiased :evil3:

I know otherwise.....
oh so you know him do you???Sounds like you do.
He didnt leave on bad terms,just wanted a change.I wish i was in the situation where i didnt have to work at his age.
Old 21-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #105
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
oh so you know him do you???Sounds like you do.
He didnt leave on bad terms,just wanted a change.I wish i was in the situation where i didnt have to work at his age.

Ford management are very highly regarded by other companies and I know of at least a couple who have been poached by places outside the Blue oval.

Insiders are often VERY hard on themselves and their internal bureaucracy, believe me Ford management and the business as a whole do VERY well with the minimal resources they have got !

Manufacturing is a "mugs game" in this country, this is not the fault of the management, it is the supporting structures and the realities of the global economy that make it so.

We'll see a time in the not too distant future when large scale manufacturing in 'Oz' is a memory...

This will not be because of 'lazy' managers.
Old 21-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #106
au adam

Not lazy managers,too many managers.
Old 21-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #107
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Not lazy managers,too many managers.
I reckon they have the number pretty right in manufacturing, they're no different to a couple of large companies I've worked for in my dealings with Ford....... Infact the numbers are lower there from my experience.

PD ? That's a different question..... I hear they lost a LOT of management there late last year.
Old 21-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #108
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Ummmmm......

"Work force" cuts were 25 %
Staff cuts were 25 %
Management cuts were about 30 %.

Through my work, I personally know of many salaried people at Ford who went, and several managers who lost their jobs also.

You could have taken a "package" last November if you wanted one.....

The "deadwood" in management are gone, those that are left are 'under the pump" through no fault of their own.
Don't believe what you read in the papers. Management cuts were not 30% no where near it. As for me taking the package I was knocked back....
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #109
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
Don't believe what you read in the papers. Management cuts were not 30% no where near it. As for me taking the package I was knocked back....

Dissagree.

You say you knew no staff cuts that happened ?

I know of a lot, AND I know of quite a few Ford managers that went also. NOT from reading these details in papers either.

Management cuts were no fewer in % that those in the hourly areas given 'packages'.

I suggest you get out of your "work group area" and check out the rest of the FoA 'organisation !!

Unfortunately I guess you're not given the opportunity to learn more given your work restrictions and job. You need to check your facts....

As for a two tier pay structure, I'm not for it. I wouldn't want it in the company I work for. It breeds contempt and jealousy.
Old 22-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #110
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Dissagree.

You say you knew no staff cuts that happened ?

I know of a lot, AND I know of quite a few Ford managers that went also. NOT from reading these details in papers either.

Management cuts were no fewer in % that those in the hourly areas given 'packages'.

I suggest you get out of your "work group area" and check out the rest of the FoA 'organisation !!

Unfortunately I guess you're not given the opportunity to learn more given your work restrictions and job. You need to check your facts....

As for a two tier pay structure, I'm not for it. I wouldn't want it in the company I work for. It breeds contempt and jealousy.
Yes there were management heads cut BUT alot they were quickly backfilled by graduates. No where near the impact on the shop floor and within trades. I take it that you work for Ford as you know so much about what is going on. If you don’t I suggest you keep you opinions to your self. If you do get out of your cosy office and speak to the people on the floor and ask their opinion of the cut backs. I have been at Ford for close to 15 years and liaise with management every day all over both Geelong and Broadmeadows as part of my job. I am not a production worker as you suggest far from it infact but I am also not salary. With in the last 2 years majority of the people I work with have either been made redundant or shifted departments but the salaried personal I have to deal with has remained unchanged.
Old 22-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #111
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yes there were management heads cut BUT alot they were quickly backfilled by graduates. No where near the impact on the shop floor and within trades. I take it that you work for Ford as you know so much about what is going on. If you don’t I suggest you keep you opinions to your self. If you do get out of your cosy office and speak to the people on the floor and ask their opinion of the cut backs. I have been at Ford for close to 15 years and liaise with management every day all over both Geelong and Broadmeadows as part of my job. I am not a production worker as you suggest far from it infact but I am also not salary. With in the last 2 years majority of the people I work with have either been made redundant or shifted departments but the salaried personal I have to deal with has remained unchanged.
You sound a little bitter mate !

I'm not at Ford, but I know a lot about it. And travel extensively to all sorts of manufacturing sites.

BTW: They're not opinions, just facts. There are no recent graduates who have been made up to managment role as you suggest either
Old 22-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #112
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
BTW: They're not opinions, just facts. There are no recent graduates who have been made up to managment role as you suggest either
Where are you getting these so called facts from??? I have first hand experience. BTW in the last year there have several graduates moved up to managment just in one department alone. I could give you names...... but I wont.
Old 23-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #113
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Where are you getting these so called facts from??? I have first hand experience. BTW in the last year there have several graduates moved up to managment just in one department alone. I could give you names...... but I wont.

PM me....

Your definition of "management" appears to be incorrect.

Management role = LL6 and above. NOT supervision :

It is unusual to have more than one 'manager' in a department. Any other supervision etc is salaried role :nutsycuck
Old 23-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #114
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

I should probably clarify what I meant by management. I was actually meaning salary personal, hey lets face it they all think they are management anyway. :gren: The point I am trying to make is that no other area has been affected by cut back as much as production and maintenance, 2 critical areas to ensuring that a quality product is manufactured so why hit them again. There are far more effective ways of cost cutting than a wage freeze and a two tier structure.

Last edited by WOTDAH; 23-07-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 24-07-2009, 06:25 AM   #115
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I should probably clarify what I meant by management. I was actually meaning salary personal, hey lets face it they all think they are management anyway. :gren: The point I am trying to make is that no other area has been affected by cut back as much as production and maintenance, 2 critical areas to ensuring that a quality product is manufactured so why hit them again. There are far more effective ways of cost cutting than a wage freeze and a two tier structure.
Yes I agree.
Old 24-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #116
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Just a point of cultural information, I can attest to WOTDAH's definition of what management is. Basically, within the plant, you are considered either labor (workers) or management (supervising). There is also skilled trades, but that is how employees are identified by each other.

I understand the difference you are making, Barraxr8, about LL6 and above being "Management", but I guess you could say that the term "management" gets used as slang in the plant.

I hope that helps a little.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #117
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
Just a point of cultural information, I can attest to WOTDAH's definition of what management is. Basically, within the plant, you are considered either labor (workers) or management (supervising). There is also skilled trades, but that is how employees are identified by each other.

I understand the difference you are making, Barraxr8, about LL6 and above being "Management", but I guess you could say that the term "management" gets used as slang in the plant.

Steve
Yes it does, but the breakdown (across the company) in those that left FoA last year is about 25% at all three levels.

Hourly
Salaried
Management
Old 24-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #118
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB

Steve

Its the same Australia wide Steve.....Ford dont have exclusive rights to this chain of thought.......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #119
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Yes it does, but the breakdown (across the company) in those that left FoA last year is about 25% at all three levels.

Hourly
Salaried
Management

Okie doke.

I know we lost a LOT of "salaried' personnel at our plant. So much that it hurt.....and I'm an hourly guy saying that!

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 24-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #120
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Its the same Australia wide Steve.....Ford dont have exclusive rights to this chain of thought.......

I wouldn't think so.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!