Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 30-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Default Roll cage req's re;1/8th/m

Am currently building up my XD sedan as a street/strip runner, but with the majority of my racing to take place on the 1/8th, I need to know ANDRA's rules as to what ET/MPH makes it compulsary to run a cage!

I am hopefull the car will run well into the high 6's at maybe 100ish??? and want more than 1 pass before being told to bugger off.

If I got to cage it is it 4 or 6 point? Bolt in or weld?

Anyone got a rule book defined answer??

xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I would think not for 100mph.

Here are the Calder park guide lines:

Quote:
General Rules and Regulations:

All vehicles require the following items:

* Radiator overflow bottles
* Accelerator return springs
* Batteries must be securely clamped
* Appropriate braking systems
* Appropriate steering systems
* Plugged holes in firewall
* No loose items inside the
* No loose items inside the driver & passenger compartments. All other items must be secured inside the vehicles boot/trunk
* Plugged rear parcel shelves & rear firewalls for any vehicles using N2O
* All vehicles using Nitrous Oxide must display on the outside of the vehicle in the area where the bottle is located the approved sticker.
* In addition the approved sticker is to be placed on the outside of the windscreen in the top left hand corner
* The approved sticker is yellow with N2O printed in black
* All competitors must follow all speed signs and officials directions at all times.
* Speed/burnouts are to be kept to their appropriate areas at all times. If you fail to obey the rules you will be asked to leave the premises.
* Any use of a mobile phone whilst on the Race Track will result in eviction from the event
* No persons under the age of 16 are allowed in pit lane/start line. Failure of enforcement of this rule can result in disqualification.
* No shorts, pants, thongs, open toed shoes in pitlane, only long pants and closed in shoes

Licence:
A current driver’s Licence is required. Learner’s permits will not be accepted under any circumstances.

Drivers Seat:
It is mandatory that all seats are firmly attached to the vehicle.

Seat Belts / Harnesses:
Vehicles running 11.99 or slower require a minimum quick release 3 point lap sash seatbelt complying with the current Australian Standard.

Roll Cage:
Vehicles running 11.98 sec or 110 mph or quicker require a minimum quick release 4 point harness complying with the current Australian Standard.

Any vehicle running between 130 mph or quicker requires a 5 point harness incorporating a crutch strap.

Safety Helmets:
All racers must wear Safety Helmets when entering, racing and leaving the race track.
Please wait until you have stopped your vehicle before removing your helmet.
Safety Helmets must comply with the current Australian Standard. For those of you who do not possess a Safety Helmet, you may hire a helmet through Calder Park administration office.

All vehicles running 11.00 sec (1/4 mile) or slower are not required to have a roll cage fitted but may be fitted if you wish to do so.

All vehicles running between 10.99 sec & 10.00 sec and under 140 mph (1/4 mile) must be fitted with a single roll over hoop. A hoop covering the full width of the driver’s compartment with 2 bolted back stays and a bolted intrusion bar.

Utilities may use a 4 point roll cage with intrusion bars/diagonals on both sides and single diagonals in main roof hoop.

All other vehicles running faster than 9.99 or 140 mph are required to be fitted with a full 6 point roll cage.

Vehicles, where the body may be separated from the chassis/roll cage in an accident, mesh or net, are required to be fitted with a roll cage over the driver’s head in order to retain the driver’s limbs within the cage area in the event of a roll over.

Parachute:
All vehicles reaching 140 mph must be fitted with a single chute

Open Cockpits:
Convertibles, roadsters and any other open cockpit vehicle are required to be fitted with a single rollover hoop covering the driver’s compartment.

Tail Shaft Loop:
All vehicles running 10.99 sec or quicker are required to be fitted with a tail shaft loop.
The tail shaft loop is to be made of metal, a minimum 3.2 mm (1/8”) thickness and 51 mm (2”) wide securely mounted and located within 15.2cm (6”) of the front universal joint.

Wheels and Studs:
Hub caps and clip on wheel rims must be removed before competing. Scrutineer’s will check for loose wheel nuts and cracked or damaged wheels.

All vehicles are required to be fitted with the minimum of wheel studs as original manufactures specifications.
All vehicles are required to have wheel nuts on all wheel studs. Each wheel stud must protrude past the outer face of the wheel by a distance no less than the diameter of the stud used.

Vehicles running quicker than 10.98 sec are required to be fitted open ended wheel nuts. Factory alloy wheels may use original nuts/studs.

Tyres:
Tyres of the same construction are required front and rear, vehicles using rear slick tyres are required to be fitted with front conventional non radial tyres.

Protective Clothing:
All drivers and riders are required to wear full covering. I.e. long sleeves, long pants, socks and closed toe shoes. All Motorcycle riders must wear protective leathers, an approved Australian Safety Standards helmet, riding boots and gloves.

Race suits are required for drivers of vehicles that have manufactured firewalls, front floors and non factory design windscreens.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Cheers FC and yeah got most of that stuff covered

I Know heathcote is a but more lenient tho for the 1/4 so will run it there one day
Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

Good question. a 6.90 over the 1/8 mile is a 10.7 - 10.80 on the 1/4.

You will if you hit the 1/4 mile
2V powahhhhh
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
debacle-racing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you will only need a 4pt but since you going to do all that work, you may aswell run a 6 point.

i will get my rulebook out of the shed this arvo and type out the rules.
debacle-racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Quote:
Originally Posted by debacle-racing
you will only need a 4pt but since you going to do all that work, you may aswell run a 6 point.

i will get my rulebook out of the shed this arvo and type out the rules.
Cheers Justin. I plan on runnin the 1/4 maybe once or twice a year but not too sure ill get the 9.99 requiring a 6 point. Moroso and actual times are two different things.

You will have to bring yours down to Calder one day Dion Heads up ;)
Old 02-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #7
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got an 06/07 ANDRA Rule Book you can have for the cost of postage if you want it. Will hopefully be in the Mount for the hill climb in Nov as well if that helps.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
Ive got an 06/07 ANDRA Rule Book you can have for the cost of postage if you want it. Will hopefully be in the Mount for the hill climb in Nov as well if that helps.
Mate that would be great. Ill be in touch shortly
Old 09-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagsjoe
You will have to bring yours down to Calder one day Dion Heads up ;)
I'll drive down one long weekend. haha

But i probably wouldn't ever want to return to the FNQ goat tracks afterwards.
2V powahhhhh
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #10
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

I think the best thing to so is use plastic bolts on the seat and leave your window down!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeXpziXP-Bg

IMHO whether your doing 12sec pass or 10 sec pass, there's just as much potential to get into trouble. That guy in the vid only had 12.3 dialled in.....although he was dumb for hitting the gas again after crossing into the other lane out of shape......natural selection in progress

I'm planning on fitting a 6 point even though I will only need a 4 point....just to give me more peace of mind.

2007/2008 ANDRA book..........same as last year:

4 point roll BAR for:
Street Registered
10.00 - 10.99 1/4
6.5 - 7.0 1/8
AND less than 140mph (no speed specified just for the 1/8th)

Wording: Single rollover hoop covering full width of drivers compartment with 2 bolted back stays and a bolted side intrusion bar (I read as drivers side only).

6 point roll CAGE for:
Street Registered
8.00 - 9.99 1/4
5.0 - 6.25 1/8

Wording: Cage attached at 6 points, with removeable side intrusion bars (option....but they are illegal on street, the intrusion bars that is). There's a few crazy engineering terms thrown in but you need a taxi bar too (runs behind the seats and joins the main drivers hoop). There are issued with what can be bolted in and what needs to be welded.

The way I read the rules is that if you run a NON street registered car quicker than 10.99, you need a 6 point cage.

General overview, but there's specific ANDRA specs that need to be met in the book for construction.

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #11
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Cheers Mate. Thats a pain but would rather do it now I guess.