Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Focus Tdci Hatch $25,990 Drive-away!!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

6 speed manual at no cost?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
KevinC
Starter Motor

i thought it came with a 6 speed manual anyway used:

the good news is it comes with 20% better fuel economy, totally free
better get in before that promotion ends :p

hehe ok i'll stop picking apart the ad

but would these prices have anything to do with the soaring diesel costs?
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
RJO89
EuroFordClub

It does come with 6 speed manual standard. Doesn't even have a auto option
But for those who aren't as well-informed as us, the 6 speed manual at no option may sound appealing to them.

But what I don't get, is that all cars that offer a manual transmission have it standard, with auto at extra cost, and cars that don't have manual option have auto standard. So I wonder what it would be if the manual was at extra cost. Would that mean that you could buy the car without a transmission??

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
Rhubarb

Competitive price, even for 2007 model.

I notice it was posted on 1 April but stipulates offer ends 31 March 08. April fools perhaps ???

I might just ask for the free 6 speed manual.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
KevinC
Starter Motor

i wouldn't mind the 20% better fuel economy if they have any spares lying around
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
Rhubarb

But only if it didn't come at 20% higher price per litre at the bowser. Funny that bit doesn't get mentioned much when selling diesels.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
ptwhite2003

Default Price of diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb
But only if it didn't come at 20% higher price per litre at the bowser. Funny that bit doesn't get mentioned much when selling diesels.
Don't know where you live, but here in Nth Qld there is no more than about 10% difference in the prices of unleaded and diesel, as I observed on a trip to Mackay this last weekend.

Unleaded was around $1.36/ltr, and diesel was about $1.48/ltr. My maths tells me that's about a 9% premium on average.

Cheers
ptwhite2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Competitive price, even for 2007 model.

I notice it was posted on 1 April but stipulates offer ends 31 March 08. April fools perhaps ???

I might just ask for the free 6 speed manual.
No April fools, the is continuing through April.

Sorry about the free 6spd bit, I don't do the ads, you guys all know what they come with it, but people out there don't know they are a 6spd manual so we just put that in.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We are pushing diesel as a dealership because Ford haven't been. We think they are a great car that goes like the clappers and come with alot of kit (even cruise). The closest thing performance wise in the Focus range is an XR5 and in my opinion and they are more rego and less economical and not $25990 drive-away.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
Rhubarb

I don't disagree that the Focus TDCi is a great car and that is a competitive price (as I said earlier).

My point was in regard to the fuel savings touted by proponents of diesels. They do consume less fuel, but the fuel also costs more, which makes the $ per km savings very marginal, and certainly not enough to ever recover the additional $4k upfront for most people.

I do, of course, understand that many people do realise this but buy them anyway for the torque etc.

Good on you Pacific Ford for the initiative though - I agree its a great car at a great price.

Incidently, I bought my 07 LS Zetec from you for $25900 Driveaway which included metallic paint, carpet mats, alloy pedals, and alloy gearshift, back in June 07. I new I should have pushed you for a greater discount
Old 02-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
Rhubarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwhite2003
Don't know where you live, but here in Nth Qld there is no more than about 10% difference in the prices of unleaded and diesel, as I observed on a trip to Mackay this last weekend.

Unleaded was around $1.36/ltr, and diesel was about $1.48/ltr. My maths tells me that's about a 9% premium on average.

Cheers

I guess it varies but here in Brisbane, on average, it seems to be about 20%. The petrol station 200m from my work has unleaded at 124.7 and diesel at 147.7 right now. Thats 18.4%. A couple of months ago when I first noticed the price differential, I filled up for 107.9 when diesel was at 148.9. That was when I did the maths (38% more) and thought diesel savings were non-existent. I have subsequently not seen that level of difference with petrol averaging low 120s and diesel seemingly averaging high 140s.

I don't keep detailed stats on this or anything. I just don't think the fuel saving (in dollar terms) are as much as the proponents of diesel make out.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #13
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rhubarb, I tend to agree with you. I personally would not buy diesel for the fuel saving cost but in saying that to get similar power levels then you really need to be looking at a 6 cylinder car or a 4 cyl turbo petrol. If you care about having the extra power and still want to have the fuel economy of a 4 cyl then the tdci is a winner. I also think that some of the 4k savings will be recouped in resale.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
ptwhite2003

Default Is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
Rhubarb, I tend to agree with you. I personally would not buy diesel for the fuel saving cost but in saying that to get similar power levels then you really need to be looking at a 6 cylinder car or a 4 cyl turbo petrol. If you care about having the extra power and still want to have the fuel economy of a 4 cyl then the tdci is a winner. I also think that some of the 4k savings will be recouped in resale.
You're right, Davocol.

I'm not sure if it was on these forums or elsewhere, but someone commented that buying the TDCI for economy reasons alone will never work and that you have to consider the other advantages of driving one when deciding.

Of course, as you mentioned, some of that cost premium will come back to on resale.
ptwhite2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post