Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-06-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
hambo_12

Default helpful tips to avoiding credit card fraud

Just received this in an email, and it makes sense, and could help some people out when they need it, good read:
Subject: Fw: Free legal advice (believe it or not)

ATTORNEY’S ADVICE - NO CHARGE (for a change)

A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company.

1. The next time you order cheques have only your initials (instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your chequebook, they will not know if you sign your cheques with just your initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign your cheques.

2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put “PHOTO ID REQUIRED”.

3. When you are writing cheques to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the “For” line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your cheque as it passes through all the cheque processing channels won’t have access to it.

4. Put your work phone number on your cheques instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box, use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your Centrelink Number printed on your cheques. You can add it if it is necessary, but if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

5. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each licence, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when travelling either here or abroad. We’ve all heard horror stories about fraud that’s committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards.

Unfortunately I, an attorney, have first-hand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieves ordered an expensive monthly mobile phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Dell computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information on-line, and more.

But here’s some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

1. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately, but the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if
there ever is one).

3. But here’s what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)

Call the three national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell

me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to
authorise new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves’ purchases, none of which I
knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away. This weekend someone handed it in. It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact when your wallet etc has been stolen:

1. Visa Card Australia 1800 621 199
2. Visa Card International 1800 450 346
3. Lost Travellers’ Cheques 1800 127 477
4. MasterCard Australia (02) 9466 3700
5. MasterCard International 1800 120 113
ANZ FREECALL 1800 033 844
BankWest 131 718
Citibank 132 484
Tamworth Coles/Myer Source 2340 1300 306 397
Commonwealth 132 221
CUSCAL- MyCard 1300 135 538
GE Capital 1300 369 904
Members Equity 1300 654 998
National 132 265
St George 1800 028 208
Sydney Virgin 2000 1800 080 000
Westpac 1800 230 144
Woolworths Ezy Banking 137 288
6. Bankcard Australia (02) 9281 6633
7. Medicare 132 011
8. Centrelink Fraud 137 230
9. Seniors Card 1300 364 758
10. Passport 131 232

We pass along jokes on the Internet; we pass along just about everything, but if you are willing to pass this information along, it could really help someone.

Last edited by Laminge; 09-06-2005 at 10:06 AM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Obviously written by an American, but still good advice. Good post!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I have just re edited the structure of the post

Mind you i dont agree with most of it, based on current Australian Laws (been in the banking game now for 18y), but a good reminder.

If you havent got a photocopy of the contents of your wallet, do so now, and keep in safe place.

Or send to me for safe keeping
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
hambo_12

Thanks for that laminge, im just too lazy thats all! ;)

Mind giving us some insight on what you dont agree on, just for curiosities sake??
Old 09-06-2005, 11:48 AM   #5
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Mind you i dont agree with most of it, based on current Australian Laws (been in the banking game now for 18y), but a good reminder.
Gary, is point #2 legal in Australia? Sounds like a bloody great idea to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put “PHOTO ID REQUIRED”.
Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Those are some good ideas, may have to do that photocopy thing though.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #7
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Good calls there.

Australia context of credit reporting agencies... there is really only the 1.

Baycorp Advantage: 02 9464 6000

They not contactable on weekends
Old 09-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #8
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Good calls there.

Australia context of credit reporting agencies... there is really only the 1.

Baycorp Advantage: 02 9464 6000

They not contactable on weekends
If there not contactable 24/7 what good are they.?

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #9
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
Thanks for that laminge, im just too lazy thats all! ;)

Mind giving us some insight on what you dont agree on, just for curiosities sake??

Cheque has to be account name in Aust
Unsigned Credit Cards is just asking for trouble, just use the whole length of the white area
If your paying your credit card by cheque.... your a fewl... get rid of the cheque book and use online banking, accounts with chq books dont attract as many fees.
Get a credit reference youself and ensure that people havent been using your identity
Old 09-06-2005, 11:02 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Cheque has to be account name in Aust
Unsigned Credit Cards is just asking for trouble, just use the whole length of the white area
If your paying your credit card by cheque.... your a fewl... get rid of the cheque book and use online banking, accounts with chq books dont attract as many fees.
Get a credit reference youself and ensure that people havent been using your identity

I am Mrs. Galaxy XR8 I am also in the banking industry. The only thing I would like to say is if you are going to use online banking make sure you have a firewall on your computer, appropriate security measures and invest in a security token (about $80, from your bank) because there is just as much fraud through people accessing your details from the computer as there is on cards.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 11:18 PM   #11
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Aye

Firewall and Virus protection a must, otherwise just send me your log in details and I will monitor your account for you

Never ever reply to a Bank email asking you to log on via a link in it.

Dont use Internet Shops etc

But I still havent seen online banking hacked through the CBA, not sure of this security token through with CBA.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:36 AM   #12
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Dont use Internet Shops etc

Like Amazon or ebay ? is that what you mean Gary.
because i always use it and never had a problem.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 08:08 AM   #13
hambo_12

I think he means dont use online shops that you dont know, or cant put a store front to their name...
Old 10-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #14
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Sorry

Was talking about those internet Cafe's
Old 10-06-2005, 11:34 AM   #15
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Toed
Gary, is point #2 legal in Australia? Sounds like a bloody great idea to me.
I'd like to know this also, wouldn't have thought it could be done.....
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 02:07 PM   #16
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Not that I am aware of, basically I can take your card sign over the wording and put down my drivers licence and what are the chances the name will be checked?

Terms and Conditions of a card usage stipulates that the card has to be sign before use, failure will result in the issuer not being liable for fraud claims
Old 10-06-2005, 02:09 PM   #17
hambo_12

Whoa, so its not a good idea at all after all...