Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
transitman
Starter Motor

Default EL engine into an AU

I have an AU 1 tonner with a noisy motor on startup so was tossing up the idea of fitting a late mode EL engine, does anyone know of any problems that may occur? or is it even possible?

transitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

What sort of noise is it ?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

AU engines can be had for $500 quite easily with good kays, so why bother?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
transitman
Starter Motor

The knocking noise is sometime real loud and sometimes nothing at all (doesn't sound like a bearing more like a flex plate cracked,just guessing) and it just so happens I have a late model EL that I can't get rid of with fairly low k's, so it is make use of it or it goes to the scrap yard. The gearbox has issues as well, which are what seems like forgetting what gear it is in and over about 60 or 80 it looses second.
Old 20-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as stated you can get a good low k AU engine cheaply and you'll be far better off
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

If the EL is complete or thereabouts sell it on here for cheap and then use the funds to get a good AU engine. Someone here would buy the EL engine for $500 if it has good kays.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
Kryton

you cant put an older engine into a newer car.
well you can, its just not legal though.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Remember that the EL ran a dissy, not coilpacks, so you have a pain in the bum difference there for a start. Other than that though, it should go with little or no other changes required.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An AU engine would be better, but if you're in WA I have an EL engine you could buy
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #10
transitman
Starter Motor

In regards to being illegal all the RTA site says an earlier engine has to meet pollution requirements, and I don't think having to travel for 2 or 3 hours each way to find an AU motor is easier than playing with the one I have, anyway all I asked was about fitting the motor so thanks to the person that did reply to that question.
Old 20-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #11
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Remember that the EL ran a dissy, not coilpacks, so you have a pain in the bum difference there for a start. Other than that though, it should go with little or no other changes required.
This would be the only problem i could see in swaping between the two different motors.
Old 20-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

i think you will find late EL's actually had coil packs. i worked on an EF that had a coil pack. to be honest though, the AU block is the same as the E series block, thus the engine mounts i would assume will be the same. so i dont see a real problem, plus if the AU gear box is the one that is playing up, you may be able to swap the EL box over as well, just ensure you swap ecu's as well though as im fairly sure the AU computer wont support the E series running gear.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #13
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2sw
i think you will find late EL's actually had coil packs. i worked on an EF that had a coil pack. to be honest though, the AU block is the same as the E series block, thus the engine mounts i would assume will be the same. so i dont see a real problem, plus if the AU gear box is the one that is playing up, you may be able to swap the EL box over as well, just ensure you swap ecu's as well though as im fairly sure the AU computer wont support the E series running gear.
Don't think I've ever seen a factory coil pack EL? My understanding is EF=Coilpack, EL=dissy.

I've got an EL trans waiting for my AU, and basically, bellhousing needs to be swapped over for the AU one, and apparently some of the wiring plugs on the box need to be swapped over. Nothing major though. I'd give some of the taxi places a call on that one as they do this sort of stuff all the time.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #14
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

really? thats wierd, why did ford go backwards?perhaps too many probs with the coil pack on the ef? i just assumed that el's had coil packs having work on the ef that had one. havent worked on many el's and had nothing to do with ignition on the ones that i have. but as i said, the blocks are the same, so it would just be a case of using the blanking plate from the au motor on the el motor where the dizzy sits, swap the appropriate wiring, mount the au's coil pack in the same location on the el motor and it should be fine. you may also be able to swap rocker covers, but im not sure about that.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 07:51 AM   #15
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

EL's went back to a dizzy, was a cost cutting measure along with not painting the block & rocker cover.

Basically I think you could swap the bare motor over and use the manifold & injection from the AU.

Where I think you will have an issue to re-use the AU ignition is that the AU's have a crank angle & cam angle sensor on the timing cover. I don't think these will mount on the EL cover. You could swap the cover from the EL but i'm not sure if the shafts, pulleys or sprockets have markers on them for these sensors.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 09:11 AM   #16
transitman
Starter Motor

Thanks to all, very helpful, although I did read somewhere that late EF's and maybe early EL's had a coil pack and later EL went back to dissy then with the AU the coil pack was used, but anyway I just thought I could do some research and get some hints before I pulled it apart and found out it was to be to no avail. It is the AU gearbox that has the issues with working properly so I was contemplating the motor gearbox change.
Old 21-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you might be better off spending a 50 buks to let a pro diagnose the problems it might be something minor to fix both problems , if it is its much easier than swapping drive line from a different car.

Last edited by mik; 21-09-2007 at 09:51 PM. Reason: can`t spell :(
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #18
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all i can say is why down grade when you can up-grade.ahahahha

sell the el motor you have or trade it in as part payment for the Au motor and "Bobs your aunty, oh i mean unlce""

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #19
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The EL box will fit the AU
I put an EB box in my AU. I swaped bell housings but I dont know if there is much difference in them...
im unaware of any plug differences??

if anything it would be the neutral safety switch..which will just unbolt from 1 box and onto the other..

and the noise could just be sticky lifters.. mine makes the age ol tack tack tack noise some days and not others
especially if its cold.. but even after a 20 minuite drive in traffic she still does it when im cruising next to a concrete barrier at say 15kmh under LIGHT acceleration