Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2005, 07:41 PM   #31
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
who won the road toll? NSW and VIC usually win as they have more d#@k heads on the roads. then QLD follows because everyone from NSW comes up for holidays and forgets the road rules..
Of course, population and population density have NOTHING to do with it.

This bashing of states when these threads come up is stupid and pointless. I bet if you compared road deaths per capita they would work out about the same.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #32
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

If we are going to talk numbers then let's talk real ones.

The raw accident fatality data is next to useless - the only meaningful stats are those that look at fatalities per 100 million kms or per 100,000 registered vehicles as these both allow for growth. Even then the figures are skewed by the high number of Darwin Award candidates that are scattered amongst them.

For example in Mexico, pedestrians make up about 12-20% of the road toll; motorcyclists 9-14% and cyclists 1.5-3% for totals between 25 and 34% of the road deaths.

The charts below show some of these numbers in a more realistic fashion -

Firstly per 10,000 Vehicles

Secondly per 100 million kilometres travelled

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #33
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Exactly Rusty

I think we need an outlet to start shaming Bracks and VicRoads into submission
Old 01-04-2005, 06:28 PM   #34
Bobman
Regulator

Default RE: Road toll

On the topic.

Did we see/hear about the collision between a Semi-trailer & a Phantom BA XR6 that was driven by a P Plater female which resulted in the loss of 3 lives last night/this morning in Country Victoria after going through a give way sign?

Sad but I agree with what the police said, that younger drivers *need* to be shown a morgue or even talk a walk through Fowles auctions (damaged section) to see what can and does happen if you are being stupid.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2005, 02:45 AM   #35
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi peeples saw this one had to put my two bob in,i am a trucky and not perfect by any means ,and the roads are far from good in many areas ,but i have to say a great % of road crashes in one way or another are due to attitude (i.e) it cant happen to me,i have to overtake, i cant wait,i can weave in an out of the traffic. When im merging on to the highway i dont have to bring my vehicle up to speed of the rest of the traffic i can just push in and hang that 65 ton b double he just slow down to 85 cliks in a hurry im entitled to be here throws middle finger in air ,sad isnt it this actually happened to me on the day before easter long weekend, :
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2005, 01:56 AM   #36
kiwikid
have you seen my marbles?

victoria as a whole hasnt introduced double demerit points, but individual citys have..... mabey you should do some research.

Last edited by russellw; 09-04-2005 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Remove quote
kiwikid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #37
Aussie Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Hey all,

Being in Victoria, the recent Easter holiday weekend attracted Double Demerit points for the first time which I support and definitely act as a deterrent in my books, even though I've never lost a point. I know they'd act as more of a deterrent if I only had 3 points left for example!!!! Something pro-active and not re-active that I can't complain about.
See, despite claiming otherwise, you've been slipped a big old Pollie lie. Double Demerits has NOT improved the situation. Email me and I'll send a spreadsheet showing fatalities went up in NSW after these were introduced.

I know, because when I presented the ATSB sourced data to Staysafe and Mr Soames Job in a formal meeting they kept on insisting there wasn't equivalent data. Then I told them the source and they went all red faced and wouldn't comment any more.

It's a lie and it's a perversion on the right to hold a licence in a fair world. All double demerits does is unjustly fleece people of their livelihood for minor mistakes (e.g. in NSW now two speeding fines of say 5km/h over on a DD holiday means you're walking).

Last edited by russellw; 09-04-2005 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comment
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #38
kiwikid

what happened to the post that i quoted????

i hope one of you mods deleted it and im not going insain, by quoting posts that dont exist....
Old 10-04-2005, 12:58 AM   #39
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikid
what happened to the post that i quoted????

i hope one of you mods deleted it and im not going insain, by quoting posts that dont exist....
Right at the bottom of your post you will see a little note that says this:

Last edited by russellw : Today at 10:03 AM. Reason: Remove quote

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 01:01 AM   #40
kiwikid

so im not going crazy?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:32 AM   #41
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So : happened in 1998 in Vic and N.S.W to make the road toll start rising again. I wouls like to see a breakdown of percentage increase/decrease city v rural roads.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:34 AM   #42
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so im not going crazy?

Not so sure about that :hihi: :hihi:

Last edited by deesun; 10-04-2005 at 01:37 AM.
deesun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 02:49 AM   #43
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikid
victoria as a whole hasnt introduced double demerit points, but individual citys have..... mabey you should do some research.
My apologies for that, I could have SWORN I posted a fair while ago clearing up that I had heard it incorrectly on the radio - definitely either going mad or I posted it in another thread perhaps. My bad :togo:

I guess the problem with any amateur approach to being critical of the government's approach, is that very few of us are highly enough informed to be able to conlusively beat the government down from EVERY angle, they always have new data and 15 experts to belittle you into nothing more than the status of a whinger.... Whilst I feel for them and the immense nature of protecting tens of millions of lives, I personally feel that as long as the public is coming up with ideas, or worse still, screaming that something isn't working or is unfair and unecessary, then not enough is being done to protect the innocent and even save the guilty when it comes to us being behind the wheel of a car and the responsibilities associated.

There are many many valid points made here, especially regarding the increased volumes of vehicles on holiday weekend being statistically more likely to increase net accident numbers and deaths, also given potential higher occupancy numbers per vehicle.

At the end of the day, if something happens and appears to have a solution which isn't being used, then not enough is being done. This is one area where the powers that be (including the RACV/NRMA etc) just don't seem to be truly representing us justly and to the full extent of their abilities. We're crying foul, shouldn't they? Something's going to have to give, I just don't want it to be my life.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #44
Aussie Pete

Actually, if you take off the considerable business related traffic on holiday weekends (those of us who drive trucks know how jammed the Hume is on a normal night versus holiday weekends) the increase isn't all that large.

What concerns me is there's no countermeasures to the one big problem on holiday periods - fatigue. I can drive SYD-BNE non stop without even thinking about it because I'm used to it and I know what effect diet and sleep around the trip has on me. Last year on Boxing Day I had a load to take from SYD-BNE. I left around 4am from the SYD Airport and I wasn't even up to the end of the F3 before I was seeing cars weaving around lanes from drowsy drivers. I had to blast two with the airhorns to wake them up as they were going towards the median from the left lane. The cops were as usual sitting in their hiding spots doing speed checks but maybe they should be driving through traffic and observing driving behaviour - be proactive.

I tried to get a NSW HP guy on Ch12/40 when we passed him to tell 'em about one of these drivers but they try and make out they don't have UHF which is BS because they have it. Too friggin lazy 50% of them. And their KPIs are on fines issued not drivers saved from their own stupidity.

To see how corrupt the whole system is ask yourself why they have a penalty notice pre-printed for RADAR/LIDAR. Quicker to write out you know!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #45
fat289
fat289

DESPITE the strictest rules, enforcement and public profile, they still suffer an shamefully high road toll, shadowing all other states in Australia and it's not the first time Victoria has beaten the opposition.

Every year is the same
There was X amount more deaths on the road at easter compaired with last year

The figures that I want to see is %
They never tell you how many new drivers have been on the road since last easter
% wise the road toll is actualy lower than the year before whitch means that all their p/r is working
They just wont show us a break down on figures

Just my 2 bobs worth

Terry

XRGT
XP ute 351w Toploader
99 Springer softail
XW Fairmont 302w / c4 col shift 58,000 miles
fat289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post