Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Tell me what you think..... ST170

Check out the link for a ST170 For Sale & tell me what you think...

the "Ford evaluation vehicle" is the bit that concerns me

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...628&key=432708

MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

2002 interesting year, mine is early 2003 not really sure when they started bringing them in but, havent been around them for ages now so not up to date with everything.

Looks nice, evaluation vehicle i would be worried about personally

Chris
Old 11-11-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Evaluation vehicle generally means "flogged". Judging by the photo, those tyres don't look like ContiSport Contact 2's, they look Like Hankook Ventus, a much cheaper tyre. If they're not Conti's, then they've been replaced, indicating it has possibly had a hard life. Hankooks would not have been factory tyres.

Yeah that's a legit evaluation vehicle by the looks of it. They didn't ever come with Recaros (4 seaters too) or Climate Control as options in Aust or NZ as far as I know but def did in Europe. Looks like it was imported by Ford NZ and kept as an eval vehicle, but as to why it's "NZ new" I'm not sure. Sounds like it has only just been made available for sale? Normaly evaluation vehicles are never sold. And with Ford Solutions warranty... please explain, sounds like a Dealer is throwing on a 6 month used car warranty.

For that price, if it hasn't been hammered, it's an absolute steal, given it's both a one-off and looks in good nick with really low kays. The Speedo can also be easily set to display km's on the digital odometer by holding down the odometer reset button on startup until the dash guage flashed and the needles swing, then just press it until you get tothe km/h mode. You'd ideally just buy a km/h cluster from for spare parts, well worth the investment.

The first batch of ST170's came into Oz in about mid May 2003, 8 months after launch of the rest of the range back in September 2002. Not sure when NZ first got theirs, but imagine it wasn't much different. That this is a 2002 build further supports this notion that it is a legitimate evaluation vehicle. This would mean it was built before the launch even in Australia, meaning chances are it was built for NZ to evaluate. Global launch was in March 2002 so obvioulsy the build month will confirm if it was even built before global launch, entirely possible.

One other thing I have noticed, it doesn't have the "ST170" decals on the side mouldings, a giveaway that it is definitely an early model

It also doesn't look like it has the final side skirts, those ones seem to flare out more than normal.

It all adds up to seem authentic, with a few interesting and rare individual items fitted/not fitted. I'd say as long as it's legit, it's a bargain and a seriously individual car to own.

Original press release anyone?
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=11387
Old 11-11-2006, 01:56 AM   #4
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Hey Matt,

If you check the picture you will realise that the cluster has an analogue display of both Miles (big numbers) and Kms (small numbers)

Oh, and it looks like a bargain! I really like those seats... and it's individual. No one in Australia even has that model :

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
The Speedo can also be easily set to display km's on the digital odometer by holding down the odometer reset button on startup until the dash guage flashed and the needles swing, then just press it until you get tothe km/h mode. You'd ideally just buy a km/h cluster from for spare parts, well worth the investment.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 02:29 AM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I stand corrected, I should have thought of that! I didn't look close enough.

All Ican say is the ST I drove had a miles per hour speedo, it was cool!!
Old 11-11-2006, 02:35 AM   #6
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

About the bodykit. Didn't the Australia ST170 get a locally developed kit that was only for the australian market?

What do they usually go with eval cars? Crusher?
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 02:42 AM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yep - crusher. Or Tafes for mechanics to learn about the different parts, to train future mechanics.

You're correct, only the Aussie ST170 got the bodykit standard, it wasn't even an option in the UK, however I would believe that the NZ Foci would have had the same bodykit as the Aussie models, to help keep costs down. Hence my surprise. I may be wrong but it would make sense that any bodykit fitted to NZ ST170's would have probably been the "Aussie" one.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:34 AM   #8
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Just like to add, I just spent 20 days touring NZ on my honeymoon... its definitely ST country!(lotsa corners not many straights)
Our roads in Oz are poo compared to NZ's, here your lucky to see a road works crew in 2 days driving... NZ road works every 5 minutes.
Roads were smooth and no pot holes, even have warning signs for bumps in the road... That I couldnt even feel?(compared to ours)

Did the nth island 1st, got a nice 1000km old..... hi ho silver Foci auto hatch, nice car just didnt corner like mine does, felt like I was rolling the tyres off the front rims on every corner(GY Eagles poo).

After braving 4.5m swirls on the ferry we landed on the sth island(the return ferry was canceled... was in the news took them 10hrs instead of 2) in Picton they gave us a BLOODY Holded Viva(was new as well). What a cheesey POS crap car.

So we headed off to the Wearable art museum in Nelson(i thinks?) a hilly 120km's away... I had loaded trucks and campervans beeping me too speed up, my foot was near flat!
It had aboslutely no low or mid range power, sure it went fine if you held it flat at 5~7000rpm... which was real helpful on steep hills as you'd end up the rear of the next car and have to slow down only too do it all over again and again and again and again. We ended up using 3/4 of a tank to do 240km's!

Back in Picton the next day I went back to Buget and said I not driving this POS, it has no cruise, the blinker stalk was ready to break, used way to much fuel... and our standard large size suit case did not fit in the boot of a 3 door hatch!(ever tried putting a heavy suit case on the back seat of a 3 door?)

They said its the same class car, like hell it is I said, the smart *** reckoned both the focus and the viva were base models... 1.8ltrs no cruise or fast glass... I said yep you know your cars aye, the NZ and OZ foci only come with 2lts and cruise and front fast glass is standard features!
They wouldnt budge reckoned they dont have any more foci's so I said no worries giv's me money back and I'll go next door(prepaid)they soon found one in their next depot at some airport a few K's away... drove straight there got me a foci!

This foci had 11Kkm's seemed to handle much better, the front tyre's had been replaced with BS potenza's(same as I got on mine)the corner speed and braking was much better.

So the moral of the story... I dont care if its got 23 storage spaces because it dont maketh it a real car!Viva that "Holded on".
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
Blue_ST170

Its not a bad car......looks like a euro st170 with a prototype of the aus body kit on it.

As long as its in good condition and hasn't had the wheels driven off its a good buy. Also its prtty easy to pick up a set of the ST170 decals if u want them.

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 12:30 AM   #10
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ST170
As long as its in good condition and hasn't had the wheels driven off its a good buy.
It's an evaluation vehicle ..... it's had the wheels driven off it......
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 03:27 AM   #11
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Mines had a hard 50K's... hasnt missed a beat!
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 04:47 AM   #12
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

from whati cann from the pics it doesnt look to be a car that has had the wheels driven off it...

the handbrake still has shine to the leather... the bodkit is in immacualte condition... and test cars this is a hard thing to do....

i think that is the euro sport model...

i rember seeing a review on topgear about it a while ago...
this one seems to have all the toys... and a steal at that price if its genuine
Old 19-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #13
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Evaluation vehicle generally means "flogged". Judging by the photo, those tyres don't look like ContiSport Contact 2's, they look Like Hankook Ventus, a much cheaper tyre. If they're not Conti's, then they've been replaced, indicating it has possibly had a hard life. Hankooks would not have been factory tyres.
Thrash factor is what concerns me.

Quote:
Looks like it was imported by Ford NZ and kept as an eval vehicle, but as to why it's "NZ new" I'm not sure. Sounds like it has only just been made available for sale? Normaly evaluation vehicles are never sold
NZ New means it was not registered overseas previously. I know of at least one other ST170 that featured in some reviews, that was an Irish vehicle & had no body kit.

Quote:
For that price, if it hasn't been hammered, it's an absolute steal, given it's both a one-off and looks in good nick with really low kays.
Seems strange though, having such low kays

Quote:
One other thing I have noticed, it doesn't have the "ST170" decals on the side mouldings, a giveaway that it is definitely an early model
NZ didn't have those, but we did get a nice Zetec badge on the doors

Thanks for the info
Old 19-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #14
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I may be wrong but it would make sense that any bodykit fitted to NZ ST170's would have probably been the "Aussie" one.
Correct
Old 19-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #15
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST170ish
Our roads in Oz are poo compared to NZ's
Yikes, always thought our roads were terrible :
Old 19-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #16
MAGPIE