Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-12-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Default Question for the Ambos...

Lo all

Sitting at a set of lights today, it went green but I stayed put as an Ambulance station wagon running lights and siren had run the red and was cautiously making his way across the intersection. Before you ask, no I did not have a problem with his driving. He conducted himself in a very safe and predictable manner.

No, my gripe is with his vehicle. Once clear of the intersection, he nearly punched the loud pedal through the firewall, and the Commodore V6 wailed its little head off and... nothing. The wagon took an eternity to even reach the 60 speed limit again, and then there was another red light.

My question is, why are the heroes charged with saving lives burdened with V6 Commodores and Diesel vans? Is it a budget thing? What is a human life worth nowadays?

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 30-12-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Are there even any vehicles out there that are big enough and sufficiently quick?
Old 30-12-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
3vXT

I'd hazard a guess and say that in most cases the difference in travel time between a V6 commodore and a more powerful car would be reasonably small. It's not like they are doing quarter mile sprints, the amount of traffic on the road would make more of a difference imo.

In saying that though, I'd rather they were pushing along something cooler than a V6 commodore though, those big merc vans seem to get about easy enough considering how much they must weigh. Whatever does the job best should get preference though.
Old 30-12-2010, 01:56 AM   #4
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Are there even any vehicles out there that are big enough and sufficiently quick?
Probably not but surely an extra 2 cylinders is not too much to ask. I mean, it's not like they need a Senator.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 30-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Might depend on where the ambulance is operating like in busy cities that kinda thing. The vans and stationwagons are are quite narrow in width which is probably good for city traffic compared to the ole' F100. Being a 6cyl...I dont know....maybe a carbon footprint thingy for the ambo department?????? usually seems to rate as important in companies these days.
Old 30-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #6
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was that on Ipswich Rd by chance? If so, I also saw that. It struggled to do 100km/h!
Forced Performance Tuned
Old 30-12-2010, 03:50 AM   #7
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An ambulance driver does not require a vehicle that goes from 0-100 in 5 seconds flat. The Commodore v6 will easily reach 100km/h within an adequate amount of time, drivers have to be constantly on the lookout for everything else on the road and will have very few opportunities to drive flatout.

This is not a drag race or a car chase, it's safe and efficient driving in an emergency situation.
Old 30-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

11 sec ambos with people sliding out the back would be real cool ey........
Old 30-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
Lo all

Sitting at a set of lights today, it went green but I stayed put as an Ambulance station wagon running lights and siren had run the red and was cautiously making his way across the intersection. Before you ask, no I did not have a problem with his driving. He conducted himself in a very safe and predictable manner.

No, my gripe is with his vehicle. Once clear of the intersection, he nearly punched the loud pedal through the firewall, and the Commodore V6 wailed its little head off and... nothing. The wagon took an eternity to even reach the 60 speed limit again, and then there was another red light.

My question is, why are the heroes charged with saving lives burdened with V6 Commodores and Diesel vans? Is it a budget thing? What is a human life worth nowadays?
was it a question for the ambo's??
or something to whinge about another commo bashing rant??
Old 30-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^Whether or not intentional those are completely rhetorical questions.

The maturity level on this forum never fails to sink to new lows.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I had my motor bike accident and was transported from one hospital to another. The Ambo in teh back with me was complaining about the size of the ambulance, he like poeple should wright to the government and complain, because he said it was to small.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't seen a V6 Commodore wagon in years down here, they're almost exclusively using Subie Foresters now.
Old 30-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
was it a question for the ambo's??
or something to whinge about another commo bashing rant??
Take from it what you will. I had no intent to 'commo bash'. You obviously have your own preconceived notions of the quality of Commodores if that's the first thing your mind jumped to, especially as further down the thread, before your post, I mentioned that I thought a V8 Commodore would be a better choice.

Curiously, how much of your allowance did you give to AFF to become a 'Donating Member'?

But that's a bit
Old 30-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Many years ago when the F-250? started being used with the V8 one clocked 250km/h in North SA. A unit that left before this ambo was doing 160 and was past like it was standing still.
The accident was a long way from town.
After that they go speed limited!

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
Old 30-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What ambo drivers need is people who get out of the way... time spent waiting on idiots to do the right is what causes delays, not the difference between a V8 and a V6.

How many V8 Police cars do you see (hear) these days?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 30-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #16
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Take from it what you will. I had no intent to 'commo bash'. You obviously have your own preconceived notions of the quality of Commodores if that's the first thing your mind jumped to, especially as further down the thread, before your post, I mentioned that I thought a V8 Commodore would be a better choice.

Curiously, how much of your allowance did you give to AFF to become a 'Donating Member'?

But that's a bit
No burnz just knows like most of us that some members here take any opportunity to insult the red team and expect the entire forum to jump on the bandwagon with them. Unfortunately for those members (such as yourself) most around here are a bit more informed and level-headed.

I just want to point this out in case you didn't notice (I even spaced it out for you):
You created a thread. Bashing an engine. Powering an ambulance.
Old 30-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #17
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

take a look at this:

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/scie...nces-video.htm

This is of the TV show "How do they Do it". It's about the design, testing and building of a modern van (MIC) ambulance.

Pretty interesting.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 30-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #18
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
No burnz just knows like most of us that some members here take any opportunity to insult the red team and expect the entire forum to jump on the bandwagon with them. Unfortunately for those members (such as yourself) most around here are a bit more informed and level-headed.

I just want to point this out in case you didn't notice (I even spaced it out for you):
You created a thread. Bashing an engine. Powering an ambulance.
For ***** sake. Is there anyone on here with an IQ higher than Forest Gump who can make a post without trying to flame me for Commodore bashing?

It could have been a bloody Mercedes V6 wagon, the make of vehicle is not the point.

GeckoGT, where are you mate?
Old 30-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #19
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
^Whether or not intentional those are completely rhetorical questions.

The maturity level on this forum never fails to sink to new lows.
Agreed It seemed like a completely reasonable question to ask 388cube edxr8 ?
Old 30-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #20
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
For ***** sake. Is there anyone on here with an IQ higher than Forest Gump who can make a post without trying to flame me for Commodore bashing?

It could have been a bloody Mercedes V6 wagon, the make of vehicle is not the point.

I fail to see what you are trying to point out anyway with the OP??

So - what you saw was a V6 station wagon (no brand bashing) and it took a while to get to 100km/h... lets say 10 seconds...

If the ambo was a V8 - he could have done it in 6 seconds...

So - to save 4 seconds possibly... are you're suggesting that ambulances need to be performance cars??

Ambulance Drivers aren't race drivers, and our streets aren't race tracks... They still have to abide to the laws of physics and common sense when they have the red and blues flashing... Why increase the costs of running the vehicles if its not necessary, or for such a slight gain???

They would save more time getting to their patient if OTHER people on the road paid more attention and got out of the way...
Old 30-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #21
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

the commodoor ambulance is a temp vehicle while their vehicle is being serviced

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
Old 30-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #22
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfordfairmont
the commodoor ambulance is a temp vehicle while their vehicle is being serviced
Are you sure? I thought they were quick response vehicles, falcon wagons, commodore wagons the foresters etc
Old 30-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #23
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Lo all

Have you seen how much gear we carry, not to mention we have to fit a patient in the back. Over in W.A we use merc vans and they actually do have some get up and go. You asked what is a human life worth? It is worth heaps and that is why we have vans FULL of equipment to help us help the patient. Without this gear you might as well just go to the hospital yourself because we won't be able to help you, to carry this gear we need vehicles capable of fitting a stretcher with enough room for us to still do things in the back, we need to carry the weight of the patient, all our equipment etc. We also need the vehicle to be a stable platform whilst we do this and so having a vehicle capable of warp speed is not useful to us. We can still go fast but it takes a few more seconds to get up to speed and we make up those seconds by being able to have right of way.

As for the commodore I am not sure as you are in QLD and over here the team leaders use territory's and forresters.
Old 30-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #24
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

OK
So the VS utes with modules on the back have all been retired, i believe
There are some commodore wagons remaining as non-bed vehicles - adventras too. But most have migrated to the even slower Subaru Foresters.

But as for ambulances that can take stretchers - they can get a merc sprinter on the road for only $150k where was an effie is more like $250k. But an effie you can get 2 beds in.
Old 30-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #25
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
OK
So the VS utes with modules on the back have all been retired, i believe
There are some commodore wagons remaining as non-bed vehicles - adventras too. But most have migrated to the even slower Subaru Foresters.

But as for ambulances that can take stretchers - they can get a merc sprinter on the road for only $150k where was an effie is more like $250k. But an effie you can get 2 beds in.
Still a few VS utes floating around..Effies as well
Old 30-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #26
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Nice bit of hostility there, exactly where did the attack on my IQ come from? Was it my inability to articulate my thoughts into an easily comprehensible and structured format?

When you target a specific engine, mention it twice in the same post, describe it in an unflattering fashion and exaggerate the lack of urgency in which it reached a given speed that is very obviously bashing.

Try being a little less childish and a little more indiscriminate if you want your posts to be taken seriously (oh and insulting people doesn't help either).
Old 30-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #27
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Talking

Old 30-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #28
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

we got ford terries and subarus here in melb.

mate i reckon they need louder sirens too, windows up no music, i cant hear jack, i usually use my trusty eyes even when goin through green lights.
Old 30-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #29
bingoTE50
Steve

I think the OP only made a observation that the Ambulance seemed to struggle on acceleration,thats all. I used to drive once upon a time a F350 with a pantec and 351 V8 auto under the hood as a sales rep and it struggled maxing out at about 140kph .
I think he has made a valid observation . I would have thought good acceleration and handling would be required for these Ambo's. If I had to navigate the city on a emergency call ,breach red lights ,etc I would want some grunt to get me across the intersection as quickly as possible in case some clown cleaned me up . It sounds like the Mercedes may be the answer.
Old 30-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #30
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Ok peoples...Take a deep breathe and step away from the Keyboard!

I think it is time this thread was closed.

Ambo's are in the business of saving lives and deserve our respect, irrespective of what vechile they drive. End of story.