Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 14-09-2021, 06:38 PM   #1
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
A good perspective Russ. Interesting that a bad flu year barely makes the news. Smoking kills 24000 a year in Australia (according to the Cancer Council)

UK was about 60% fully vacced at that time, so IF they (and we) get to 80% plus you can probably halve that number, to an extrapolated 5-6000 per year (and that is just the first few years, I am sure we will gain more immunity/updated and better vacc's as time goes on) I think society will decide that is ok, and if not then smoking will have to be banned too!
Trans fats and sugar or diet kill more people than tobacco does globally!
I have smoked tobacco products since early teens, my left lung was removed 10 weeks ago, my lung was pink!
It was not full of tar like you see on the TV ads, and the tax on tobacco products add exponentially to Australia's GDP, if we stopped smoking it would probably affect the world economy negatively.

I believe that cancer causes cancer, smoking exacerbates overall health as does the exhaust gas from cars, planes, trucks and motorcycle's plus industry!

Cheers Billy
Old 14-09-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I believe that cancer causes cancer, smoking exacerbates overall health
if that were true, there wouldnt be a positive correlation between smoking and cancer. both smokers and non-smokers would get cancer at the same rate, just the outcomes would be different.
Old 14-09-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
if that were true, there wouldnt be a positive correlation between smoking and cancer. both smokers and non-smokers would get cancer at the same rate, just the outcomes would be different.
Non smokers get lung cancer, not sure what percentile, but non smoking confined space welders would be on par with non welding smokers, that's for COPD, etc.
But I just believe smokers get belted from pillar to post, not trans fat eating folk with major health issues, or sugary soft drink guzzlers, its all harmful, but that's life, but I am supposed to start chemo next Tuesday, and Monday I go in for an education seminar about my treatment, I will find out all the correlations between smokers and non smokers, if it's available!

I will post it here on AFF, but it will be biased towards the Government to justify tobacco tax, I do not trust this Government one bit, but to always blame one group is not justified considering the damage alcohol does to non smoking drinkers, I really don't know what else to say??

Cheers Billy
Old 14-09-2021, 09:51 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Non smokers get lung cancer, not sure what percentile, but non smoking confined space welders would be on par with non welding smokers, that's for COPD, etc.
But I just believe smokers get belted from pillar to post, not trans fat eating folk with major health issues, or sugary soft drink guzzlers, its all harmful, but that's life, but I am supposed to start chemo next Tuesday, and Monday I go in for an education seminar about my treatment, I will find out all the correlations between smokers and non smokers, if it's available!

I will post it here on AFF, but it will be biased towards the Government to justify tobacco tax, I do not trust this Government one bit, but to always blame one group is not justified considering the damage alcohol does to non smoking drinkers,

I really don't know what else to say??
That's good as we're starting to wander off topic.
Old 14-09-2021, 10:01 PM   #5
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
That's good as we're starting to wander off topic.
That was it, I just have nothing to add!...OK......

Cheers Billy
This user likes this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #6
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Non smokers get lung cancer, not sure what percentile,
7-fold higher risk smokers vs non-smokers.

I agree that I think it's rich for the government to slug smokers such a massive amount, when if it's truly that risky, they should just ban cigarettes altogether. That said, when I checked maybe 10 years ago, the excise didnt recoup the health spend on smokers, so it could arguably be even higher.
Old 15-09-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
Metdevil

Quote:

I agree that I think it's rich for the government to slug smokers such a massive amount, when if it's truly that risky, they should just ban cigarettes altogether. That said, when I checked maybe 10 years ago, the excise didnt recoup the health spend on smokers, so it could arguably be even higher.
I don't know if the plan is to ban altogether, but NZ there's a plan to 'make NZ smokefree by 2025'. I don't think they're on track for 2025, but in the last 10 years, they haven't given up the plan for it entirely, so they must be dedicated to it.
Will be interesting to see if they do choose to start banning smoking products closer to the deadline.
Old 15-09-2021, 10:50 PM   #8
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
I don't know if the plan is to ban altogether, but NZ there's a plan to 'make NZ smokefree by 2025'. I don't think they're on track for 2025, but in the last 10 years, they haven't given up the plan for it entirely, so they must be dedicated to it.
Will be interesting to see if they do choose to start banning smoking products closer to the deadline.
Do you know when they plan to ban alcohol too!.....and transfat laden junk food!.....and sugary, syrupy soft drinks too, they take a terrible toll on personal health, and together cost us taxpayers more to repair overall than a smokers pulmonary system ever would!.....

I would sooner have a smoking neurosurgeon operate on me than a closet or recovering alcoholic!.....

Cheers Billy
Old 15-09-2021, 11:22 PM   #9
Metdevil

Quote:
Do you know when they plan to ban alcohol too!.....and transfat laden junk food!.....and sugary, syrupy soft drinks too, they take a terrible toll on personal health, and together cost us taxpayers more to repair overall than a smokers pulmonary system ever would!.....

I would sooner have a smoking neurosurgeon operate on me than a closet or recovering alcoholic!.....

Cheers Billy
Hopefully soon. The sooner we can have all our dietary needs compressed into a single, flavourless, MRE the better.
Old 15-09-2021, 10:44 PM   #10
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

Could you work out what percentage of PAYE workers income tax is used for health, beside the Medicare levy?

Cheers Billy
Old 14-09-2021, 09:00 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have smoked tobacco products since early teens, my left lung was removed 10 weeks ago, my lung was pink!
\
You're lung was removed? Damn that sounds serious. No issues related to smoking I guess?
Old 14-09-2021, 09:22 PM   #12
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had a positive case in one of our Sydney sites . Person was isolated after positive test, and everyone on site that day also has been tested. Fortunately all came back negative, which is rather surprising given its an indoor factory / warehouse type environment, and a lot of common touch points on machinery. Anyway, we've been trying to contact NSW Health for further guidance, but can't even get through, as in the phone has been engaged for the past 48 hours. Crazy.

Someone here mentioned a similar experience with Vic Health, but it seems both NSW and Vic are struggling. Surely lines can be diverted to health departments in other states for assistance? It can't be THAT different from state to state regarding workplace practices?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 14-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #13
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
We had a positive case in one of our Sydney sites . Person was isolated after positive test, and everyone on site that day also has been tested. Fortunately all came back negative, which is rather surprising given its an indoor factory / warehouse type environment, and a lot of common touch points on machinery. Anyway, we've been trying to contact NSW Health for further guidance, but can't even get through, as in the phone has been engaged for the past 48 hours. Crazy.

Someone here mentioned a similar experience with Vic Health, but it seems both NSW and Vic are struggling. Surely lines can be diverted to health departments in other states for assistance? It can't be THAT different from state to state regarding workplace practices?
Don't be lulled into thinking that others who tested negative will be ok, at my work it was initially 1 positive case which has grown to 3 in 8 days. 24 members still half way through 14 day quarantine period and we are praying it does not spread among them which means there could be more possible undetected infections.
It took Vic DHHS about 5 days to respond to our company requests for guidance and answers which is now an ongoing consultation.

Cheers
3 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2021, 10:44 PM   #14
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
.. 24 members still half way through 14 day quarantine period and we are praying it does not spread among them which means there could be more possible undetected infections.

Cheers
Mehh...might as well just suck it up, its headed your way.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 14-09-2021, 11:46 PM   #15
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Most likely it will or I might have had it already without knowing it since I'm living in a hot spot area but you should realise it will eventually come your way to Tassie; make sure you are vaccinated while you got time.
Old 15-09-2021, 09:35 AM   #16
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I always wondered if you were real or maybe a computer virus...
But your real, just goes to show that it takes " bipeds " of all kinds to make this world turn!....

That's a compliment by the way, enjoy it while it's at the top of the thread!

Cheers Billy
Old 15-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #17
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Saw this opinion article today and thought it did a pretty good job of summarising recent discussions in this thread about opening our country back up and the challenges associated with the options available.

Some of the data that is presented in here would need some validation, as I'm not sure of the accuracy of some of it, but nevertheless it seems pretty balanced to me.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-...down/100461128

This heading sums it up for me: No option is particularly good

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
3 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2021, 09:32 PM   #18
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
You're lung was removed? Damn that sounds serious. No issues related to smoking I guess?
Asbestos, welding fumes( confined space ) my lung cancers were not smoking related, same cancer women get in their breast glands that metatasises to the lung, smoking certainly hurts your lungs but so do lots of other chemicals!

Cheers Billy
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread