Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 
Default Regular Unleaded banned from July '12

From SMH -

Quote:
Unleaded ban expected to cause rise in fuel prices
James Robertson
January 2, 2012
Read later

‘The majors are doing anything they can to stop ethanol' says David Zsynzcak, ethanol producer. Photo: Michele Mossop
NSW drivers could face more petrol price rises this year after the government bans regular unleaded fuel, pushing up demand for ethanol-blended and premium unleaded fuel, the industry has warned.

From July, petrol stations will no longer be permitted to sell regular unleaded petrol, because the government wants to promote renewable biofuels.

To meet demand, the state's only ethanol distiller, Manildra Group, will need to increase its production of ethanol-blended petrol to 300 megalitres by July, up from 250 megalitres last financial year, according to Ecco Consulting, an energy advisory firm.

Advertisement: Story continues below
''We believe demand will exceed supply,'' Jamie Jardine, a spokesman for BP, said. ''Consumers, particularly in rural areas, will have to pay more.''

Manildra did not return requests for comment.

An Australian Competition and Consumer Commission report on the issue last month warned of a ''significant impact'' on consumers, particularly those forced to pay for the much more expensive premium unleaded petrol if their cars cannot run on ethanol-based petrol, which is the case with all cars made before 1986.

The ACCC also warned of a potential national shortage of premium petrol.

In October, the government required 60 per cent of all fuel be ethanol-based. Current and former state governments had previously delayed the quotas because of concerns about the availability of ethanol fuel.

Mike Cochran, a director at Ecco, expects Manildra can produce enough ethanol petrol to provide for the government's target to be met by July. ''But it's cutting it very fine,'' he said.

Even if ethanol supply falls short, petrol would not be rationed. Under biofuels legislation, the government can give suppliers exemptions that allow them to sell regular petrol.

A spokesman for the Energy Minister, Chris Hartcher, said the government expected industry to meet targets but had granted exemptions in the past and would continue to consider them.

But there are concerns that ethanol-based fuel is becoming more expensive.

The ACCC found ethanol was increasing in price relative to regular unleaded petrol. Last year ethanol was 2.6¢ a litre cheaper; this year the difference fell to 1.7¢. Some motorists argue ethanol is already functionally more expensive because it provides less mileage than regular petrol. The NRMA says ethanol-fuel is between 1 and 3½ per cent less fuel efficient.

David Zsynzcak, of Dalby Biorefinery in Queensland, said his company supplied ethanol-blended fuel for 4¢ a litre less than unleaded petrol at some Sydney petrol stations but others did not pass on the discount. ''Clearly the majors are doing anything they can to stop ethanol,'' he said.

But the industry says consumers might also choose premium petrol in preference to ethanol, which might raise the price of premium fuel.

''Ethanol has proved very unpopular with customers,'' said Paul Zennaro, of Shell, which says it supports ethanol fuel but not through a mandated quota.
I know it's been discussed before and we knew they were going to remove it.

My thoughts are - I wish they'd subsidise it or somehow make it more attractive to people rather than force it upon them! I hate running E10 in my car (BA Fairmont) even though I know its not going to do it any serious damage. It's just I've experienced (as I know plenty of others have) poor economy, poor power & rough idle etc.

Hopefully more companies start selling 95 then I guess!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Regular Unleaded banned from July '12

mmmm for any of our cars to be able to run economically after this would mean an ethanol based fuel system put in and a tune to sort out the usual issues so from my end it wouldn't be too bad
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ethanol is rubbish (at least here in australia).
Increased fuel consumption in all the cars i have used it on.
Not to mention all the cars ran rougher noticably.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

We can't even get ethanol blends here in WA. They can't ban straight unleaded with no alternative.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
We can't even get ethanol blends here in WA. They can't ban straight unleaded with no alternative.
I've actually noticed a reduction in the availability of E10 in general. I think the refusal from people to accept E10 has meant the oil companies were switching back to a more even mix of E10 & Reg91.

At least when it first came out there was the discount of 4c/L over Reg91 but slowly it's been wittled back to almost nothing! So at least it was cheaper to have your car run like bucket of rubbish.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the local servos i noticed they got rid of 91oct and replaced it with E10. Now in last few months E10 disappeared and 91 was brought back.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I filled up at the BP on the corner of Peak Downs hwy and Bruce hwy and it felt weird straight away on 91 oct (factory tune) after re-filling at Gin Gin with Ultimate 98 for the run home it felt like i had tipped rocket fuel in her Brendan !!
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
I filled up at the BP on the corner of Peak Downs hwy and Bruce hwy and it felt weird straight away on 91 oct (factory tune) after re-filling at Gin Gin with Ultimate 98 for the run home it felt like i had tipped rocket fuel in her Brendan !!
Was that Ultimate 98 from BP at intersection?
I had my car tuned more conservativly with timing due to mixed quality of fuel here.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
bottom caltex and top mobil ftw ... the fuel quality nothing to do with brand, it is those servos ....hard lesson in moranbah lol. but it still sticks the au hates that e10 stuff i have tried it a couple times only to end up driving a charf cutter .
Old 02-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Thumbs up Re: Regular Unleaded banned from July '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
bottom caltex and top mobil ftw ... the fuel quality nothing to do with brand, it is those servos ....hard lesson in moranbah lol. but it still sticks the au hates that e10 stuff i have tried it a couple times only to end up driving a charf cutter .
Bluepower tune is back in and Ultimate 98 is back in the tank ... I actually prefer the MOBIL 8000 but suggestion is it's the same stuff and Caltex Vortex 98 is the same and chocolate is actually bad for you and eggs are made from bacon so i give up ....

Ultimate works for me hence i tried the 91 stuff at BP as well

Wash up for economy on std tune i got 720kms out of 60L on 98 Ultimate and 625kms 58L on 91 std

Around town i get 12L avg 100km's on Ultimate 98 or 480km's or thereabouts and usually put around 53L in the tank...
Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks burnz ill give that a go
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I run E10 in the Carnival... has no issues with idle, power, or fuel economy (I've accepted that a 2.1 ton box will never be fuel efficient).

I run 98 in the HSV, but am trying to find a United that has 100...

I tried e10 in the XR250, and it ran absolutley crap, just no power, and took longer to rev through the rev range. Put a tank of 98 through it and it was like a completly different engine... but the 250 is a carbie engine...

I personally think e10 is a waste of time... Didnt the US govt cut subsidies for e10 in the states?

EDIT:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...75F5IN20110616

Quote:
The Senate voted overwhelmingly on Thursday to eliminate billions of dollars in support for the U.S. ethanol industry, sending a strong message that the era of big taxpayer support for biofuels is ending.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
Dont really understand what you mean by bottom caltex and top mobil but if you are talking about the mobil servo at moranbah i personally know the tanker drivers and i know where the fuel comes from and the mobil servo at moranbah is from bp refinery.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #14
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Smile Re: Regular Unleaded banned from July '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
Dont really understand what you mean by bottom caltex and top mobil but if you are talking about the mobil servo at moranbah i personally know the tanker drivers and i know where the fuel comes from and the mobil servo at moranbah is from bp refinery.
Yer sorry didn't add much to the fuel side of things , just that I know all the owners / workers at our local servos ...the ex actually worked at a couple of them for a few years .and the quality of fuel was dependant on the actual servo ( sorry if I was a bit misleading) I use bp at rocky with no issues . The best thing I have found as my guide to fuel is my blackbird it will let you know how good a fuel is , and it seems to run best on bp ultimate, runs like a dog on caltex .
Though diesel seems good at most . I was just adding that a lot of times its dodgy servos not dodgy fuel .

That is all my 2 cents
Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I've always run premium so I'm not too worrried as long as they have 98. But yeah have ran a 98 enthanol blend in my old cruiser and ran like *****.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
Cúl-Báire

The problem I find with E10 is it quite obviously doesn't meet 91RON; every car I have ever run on E10 runs like **** without exception - and modern cars generally need 95RON minimum.

Flawed policy this is, designed to push petrol prices up and raise further revenues though fuel excise.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Yet people run e85 daily with no issues.

The bagging of ethanol is getting rather tiresome imo.

I hope 91 is abollished.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747

Yeah in cars that are set up for e85.

My missus randomly told me her car runs like crap on e10 compared to 91. That's coming from someone who knows nothing about cars or fuel.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #19
martyk54

Quote:

I hope 91 is abollished.
You'd expect that general consensus on a forum like this.. E85 is horse **** and 98 is rocket fuel, right? The reality is that if an engine isn't tuned for a higher octane fuel (generally performance engines), it's pointless. If the factory says use 91 (many current Aus and Japanese cars, most older ones), then nothing suggests higher octane will be better for the engine.

I think people change their frame of mind in the car when changing fuel too. More should get their mate to fill the car up with one of the three and see if they can really tell the difference... blindly. The notion that 98/95 is 'better', is not correct. It's meant for a purpose, to be used by engines tuned to use it.
martyk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #20
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope this doesn't apply to Victoria. I rarely, if ever see E10 at the local pumps.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I hope 91 is abollished.
it`s probably not tiresome if your one of the unlucky motorists that drives a car that runs poorly with the stuff, i notice mine stumbles on the stuff, that`s aside from the less k`s per tank.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
I hope 91 is abollished.
No issues using ethanol here, E85 works well if the vehilce is tuned for it, and I regularly use united's 95RON + Ethanol mix which seems to be the only one that my SS, XR6 and XR8 don't run like **** on.

I welcome higher octane fuels with Ethanol content, however as pointed out in a few of the posts above I am quite sceptical of the environmental benefits.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shell has replaced E10 in QLD with 95ron. E10 wasn't successful in QLD. Only Independents stock it. Sugar belongs in my coffee not my tank...
Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #24
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Shell has replaced E10 in QLD with 95ron. E10 wasn't successful in QLD. Only Independents stock it. Sugar belongs in my coffee not my tank...
95 runs well in the daily as does 98 also giving good milage , the e10 is rubbish pouring through the motor at silly rates and under low rev load knocking like an old spring bed in a house of ill repute , 95 minimum here
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #25
bigdude1011

I thought 91 octane ULP was already banned in NSW - when I go to Sydney, I can only get E10 from the servos.

I remember reading somewhere that it takes more energy to produce ethanol fuel than the amount of energy that ethanol produces (correct me if I'm wrong).

Bring on hydrogen fuel cells.
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #26
Road Games

Nah the green handle mate 91 $1.48 from memory ...
Old 02-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #27
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

E10 with its high octane rating and lower price

Win win.

91 is no loss, never used it anyway.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #28
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

My wife always ran the E10 you get from United in her VT. Had to replace the fuel pump. Mechanic said to stay away from it. Since changing back to 91 it idles smoother and feels better.

When I fill up my BA I add Morleys fuel treatment. I'm getting 11.4L/100km averaged out over a few months.

I won't touch E10. It just doesn't smell right.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #29
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course the bloke who makes Ethanol is going to have a whinge. Obviously he's not rich enough, the whinger needs to have a sook about it.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #30
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Of course the bloke who makes Ethanol is going to have a whinge. Obviously he's not rich enough, the whinger needs to have a sook about it.
Why United are right into Ethanol
http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/me...y-bio-refinery

Last edited by AU1XLS; 02-01-2012 at 02:51 PM.
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post