The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default More stupidy, more loss....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...23/3046423.htm

Sisters killed after falling off car bonnet
Updated 1 hour 55 minutes ago

South Australian police have charged two unlicensed drivers over a fatal accident on a country road, north of Adelaide, in which two sisters were killed after riding on a car bonnet.

A teenage girl and a man in his thirties have both been charged.

The two sisters were riding on the bonnet of a moving car about 11:30pm yesterday when one of the sisters, an 18-year-old, fell off.

Her 30-year-old sister ran to help when she was struck by another car.

Both died at the scene on the Eudunda to Robertstown Road.

Locals say the 30-year-old woman had two children, who were inside the car. It is believed she had been drinking at local pubs earlier in the night.

A 16-year-old girl who was driving the car has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving.

A 34-year-old man who hit the second woman has also been charged.

Both will appear in court at a later date.

Locals say they are shocked and saddened by the accident.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I feel sorry for the kids, watching their mother die like that.

As for the victims, well I know it is not very PC but I can't help it, Darwin's theory at work, what a stupid thing to do?
Old 23-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I feel sorry for the kids, watching their mother die like that.

As for the victims, well I know it is not very PC but I can't help it, Darwin's theory at work, what a stupid thing to do?
Took the words right out of my mouth .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it`s sad that it is human nature to learn by our mistakes, RIP to the victims.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Agreed Gecko, Natural selection in action.
SSD-85 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 34 year old man was charged because some dumb drunk person ran in front of his car to help another dumb drunk person who fell off a moving car?
**** that, the cops should of apologized to him for being inconvenienced by the d fault of the drunk morons.
Amusing this was a innocent guy who was just unlucky enough to be passing at the time.

It sucks for the family and the kids, but it's hard to have sympathy for stupid people. I know we all do silly thing when drunk, but some people are just over the top.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
The 34 year old man was charged because some dumb drunk person ran in front of his car to help another dumb drunk person who fell off a moving car?
**** that, the cops should of apologized to him for being inconvenienced by the d fault of the drunk morons.
Amusing this was a innocent guy who was just unlucky enough to be passing at the time.

It sucks for the family and the kids, but it's hard to have sympathy for stupid people. I know we all do silly thing when drunk, but some people are just over the top.

Unless of course he was involved in the whole stupid stunt, perhaps had another drunk mate filming it for youtube?

I highly doubt he was not involved in it and truly "just driving past" if the cops have seen fit to charge him as well. Perhaps he was also over the legal BAC, I think there is more to his story than the article gives.
Old 23-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Unless of course he was involved in the whole stupid stunt, perhaps had another drunk mate filming it for youtube?

I highly doubt he was not involved in it and truly "just driving past" if the cops have seen fit to charge him as well. Perhaps he was also over the legal BAC, I think there is more to his story than the article gives.
I suspect so as well - those kind of charges are not arbitrary.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
No, the "innocent guy" shouldn't have been on the road:
Quote:
Police will also allege the driver of the Commodore, a 34-year-old male from Point Pass, was also unlicensed.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

What a waste of life, some people really just don't understand there actions have consequences
Old 24-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

more of it today... lets not judge and not forget there are some people feeling a world of pain at the moment....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/tragic...-1225942710409
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
more of it today... lets not judge and not forget there are some people feeling a world of pain at the moment....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/tragic...-1225942710409
Quite correct but the Sunday Mail doesn't help the cause with the "glamour" picture on the front page and no doubt the tragic story inside (only picked the paper up this morning - haven't read it yet)

Yes it needs to be reported, but to me it's well and trully gutter reporting.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Very true Pottery.

For me, I just get really tired of reading and hearing about people who do stupid things and then blame it on alcohol or other such things. People are no longer taking responsibility for their own actions. Alcohol will be blamed, instead of the reality of irresponsible behaviour. This is why our nanny state is getting so out of hand.

As I stated before, I do feel for the family, but why were these 2 women doing these things with children in the car. This was always going to end very badly. A 30 year old Mother (I use the term loosely), going out onto the bonnet of a car while a 16 year old drives? I want to know how this person made it to 30 in the first place.

Alcohol will be blamed, the loss of the brother will be blamed, the other drivers will be blamed. Every other conceivable thing will be blamed, other than the 2 drunken idiots who decided to ride on the bonnet of a moving car. And now laws will need to be amended to protect the rest of us from ourselves.

The selfish acts of these fools have impacted on their family, friends, the Emergency service teams that responded, and now every person who sees or reads the story in the media. They will continue have an impact as politicians look at how to stop this happening again.

With apologies and condolences to the family, but I say good riddance to these 2 from our world. People this stupid usually take innocent people out with them. The damage they have done to the children in the car is overwhelming and my thoughts and prayers are with them.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Very true Pottery.

For me, I just get really tired of reading and hearing about people who do stupid things and then blame it on alcohol or other such things. People are no longer taking responsibility for their own actions. Alcohol will be blamed, instead of the reality of irresponsible behaviour. This is why our nanny state is getting so out of hand.

As I stated before, I do feel for the family, but why were these 2 women doing these things with children in the car. This was always going to end very badly. A 30 year old Mother (I use the term loosely), going out onto the bonnet of a car while a 16 year old drives? I want to know how this person made it to 30 in the first place.

Alcohol will be blamed, the loss of the brother will be blamed, the other drivers will be blamed. Every other conceivable thing will be blamed, other than the 2 drunken idiots who decided to ride on the bonnet of a moving car. And now laws will need to be amended to protect the rest of us from ourselves.

The selfish acts of these fools have impacted on their family, friends, the Emergency service teams that responded, and now every person who sees or reads the story in the media. They will continue have an impact as politicians look at how to stop this happening again.

With apologies and condolences to the family, but I say good riddance to these 2 from our world. People this stupid usually take innocent people out with them. The damage they have done to the children in the car is overwhelming and my thoughts and prayers are with them.
I could not have said that any better, well done.

The idea of these two even contemplating this action with kids in the car, speechless! The idea of them looking to go out, already half cut, with kids in the car, wow. Just how deep does the stupidity and irresponsibility go?

I know we should not speak ill of the dead but there are times that you just have to be truthful and not sugar coat it. No matter which way you cut it, this mob were absolutely idiotic and rather than shedding a tear for their loss, I feel anger over what they have done to those poor kids. The dead in this case are the lucky ones, it is the kids that will be tortured for the rest of their lives.
Old 23-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the story is pretty basic.
I didn't go to the link though.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #16
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njmg-bG2xBk

Guess they tried to re enact this scene?
My favourite car chase out of any movie, all real and no CGI bullcrap
That kiwi chick is actually on the bonnet while the car gets shunted :|
Old 23-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #17
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At 30 you'd think she'd have a few more brains, not any more.
Even if you've had a few surely the risk factor should still register on the old "shouldn't do that" meter.
Both drivers unlicensed too. There's a reason why people lose their licenses, and yet so many car accidents are down to unlicensed drivers.
It's just the typical attitude of "well I'll do what I want when I want and damned everyone else".
Old 23-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #18
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was on the news, showed two cars involved. Possibly 3...

Two of the cars have side swiped each other in the same direction. One car had the door skin of the other car embedded along its side.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #19
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Absolutely unfknblvble! The stupidity of some people is mind blowing. It was a 16 year old learner driving the car and the other guy involved, innocently, was unlicenced! Thats what they said on the news anyway.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #20
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To the 16 year old driver, I present to you,
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #21
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a sad sad event, just devestating.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #22
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw the police lady on the news, she looked somewhat dumbfound when she said "what else do we have to do to get the message through?" Seriously, is she that retarded she needs to ask questions like that? There's nothing to that can be done when dealing with people like the two who died. It's called natural selection.
Old 23-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #23
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel the womans kids. However, the one thing we need to do is find a way to help the people who clean up these messes.

As for stopping the idiots, why bother? They only took themselves out, without causing danger to other road users. If thats how they wanna go, good for them.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #24
gtfpv
GT

[QUOTE=F6 Concorde]I saw the police lady on the news, she looked somewhat dumbfound when she said "what else do we have to do to get the message through?"

perhaps they could actually go out on patrol / and book people for being silly instead of trying to get people with speed cameras on highways .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

[QUOTE=gtfpv]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
I saw the police lady on the news, she looked somewhat dumbfound when she said "what else do we have to do to get the message through?"

perhaps they could actually go out on patrol / and book people for being silly instead of trying to get people with speed cameras on highways .
Are cameras operated by police in SA, I thought it was done by contractors?

If it is contractors, their presence does not limit police presence, but that is way off topic.
Old 24-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #26
platinumXR

[QUOTE=gtfpv]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
I saw the police lady on the news, she looked somewhat dumbfound when she said "what else do we have to do to get the message through?"

1. Speed Cameras are operated by contractors NOT police.
2. Tell the Gummint to give police more money so they can roster more police on.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
Old 25-10-2010, 03:17 AM   #27
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
1. Speed Cameras are operated by contractors NOT police.
2. Tell the Gummint to give police more money so they can roster more police on.

i know the police work very very hard all the time . but i hate it when they get on TV and say what more can we do . the answer is obvious . and that is police presence on the streets . not contractors /or police posted on highways with radars . thats the only point i was making / these police comments quickly get transferred into more revenus raising . i dont think shocke police persons should make statements like what more can we do , when they know the answer/ driver training/ police presence/ and more enficise on larikan behaviour . its the govts fault i know . combined with lack of education and safety awareness in individuals as well . one thing that could be done would be to find out why so many people are driving unlicenced
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #28
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i know the police work very very hard all the time . but i hate it when they get on TV and say what more can we do . the answer is obvious . and that is police presence on the streets . not contractors /or police posted on highways with radars . thats the only point i was making / these police comments quickly get transferred into more revenus raising . i dont think shocke police persons should make statements like what more can we do , when they know the answer/ driver training/ police presence/ and more enficise on larikan behaviour . its the govts fault i know . combined with lack of education and safety awareness in individuals as well . one thing that could be done would be to find out why so many people are driving unlicenced

I agree completely with a lot of what you said but why is it all these threads get turned into a "anti speed camera" argument? The use of speed cameras had nothing to do with this incident. There is next to no chance that extra police on the road would have meant that a police car was nearby to prevent this incident. This sort of incident tends to happen where there is unlikely to be a police presence.

Heres a thought for you, these types of incidents were occurring long before speed cameras existed, how did speed cameras have anything to do with those? The answer is simple and the truth is harsh. The government is not at fault for these types of incidents, only the person involved in this behaviour is.

To me, the thought that the government should be blamed because someone was killed riding on the bonnet of the car at speed and the government did not educate them is ludicrous. If the government has to educate the population in such matters and ensure we do not take idiotic risks such as that, we will then truly live in a nanny state. Do we really need a nationwide TV ad programme telling us it is not safe to ride of the bonnet of a car at speed, nor should we ride on the roof of the car with our clothes doused in petrol and set alight in a kind of flaming Priscilla Queen of the Desert as it may be dangerous to our health.?
Old 25-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #29
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
I understand, wasn't having a go.

Police say such things because they deal with these kind of people very day and don't understand why there are so many...others go under the media radar and are far worse than this lot.

And to answer your second question; why do so many people drive unlicensed?...well....they know there are few consequences and if they cry enough in court and tell the Magistrate how sorry they are and how upset they were that their dog was run over when they were 5 years old and they can't handle...blah...blah...blah...well then they will probably get off with a bond or Community Service...that's why.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 24-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #30
Scott

Everyone lost but none more-so than the kids who no-longer have a Mummy.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post