Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Tattoo's, Opinions....

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/w...-1225949775423
Interesting article and interesting replies. What's your opinion on "Tatt's" these days......

Old 09-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
fmc351
let it burn

same it always was. Personal choice.

As for the article, meh, its entertainment and nothing more. A hypocritical hack.

Ha! Perfect.
Quote:
Sue Wighton since when were you made an authority on what people should do!! I am not tattooed but when I want your opinion I'll pull the chain!!!!!!!
Oh and the next one? Obviously never been into a tatooist, they are far from cheap.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

If you want to get one, make sure you do as I do and wait 12 months till you are %100 sure you want it. Or you could end up with the stupid one I have on my neck.....ughh...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

You didn't !!!!!! Can you have it laser removed ?? Photo ??
Old 09-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

No photo, sorry, no it'll be added to in a style I am happy with. I have other tattoos, a half sleeve on my left arm. The one on my neck is a biohazard symbol, it was a silly idea, so I'll be getting something done over it to cover it up.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Draw one on with a biro and see what you think of it.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Draw one on with a biro and see what you think of it.
thats exactly what my tattooist did for me... my first tribal i got done was hand drawn, so he used my arm as a sketch pad, once he got the design to a point where we both liked it he went over it with a permanent marker. told me not to wash it off, just let it fade, so i got used to it and decided if i really wanted it or not.

i scrubbed it off the next day and made the booking lol.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
shifted

Took me 4.5 years before I finally settled for exactly what I wanted. In that time though I had an idea of what I wanted, progressed into a design etc.

Now second sessions down, black/grey shading done - and next couple sessions will be colour.

Long road - but I won't be sitting there in 20 years time going "wtf did I get that for... **** I'm stupid..."
shifted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
xr8-200

Well tats certainly are popular these days. It seems most people I know have at least one. Infact today 3 people I know had tats done.
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Just read that article. Fair enough if you don't like tattoos, but how dare someone condemn another person to the ranks of jailbird or bogan just because they have a tattoo? Narrow minded stupidity at it's worst, these are the kind of people who frown at me at work because my tattoo shows a little when I move, it is offensive to me that you disapprove of my own choice in life, much like those that buy a ford not a Holden, and get condemned for that.
My two cents, but really if it isn't your body, don't comment. You didn't pay for it, you don't know the person, you don't know why they have it.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:50 AM   #11
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a waste of time that article is, its one persons opinion, and I am sure people with tats, including myself could not give a rats what the author thinks....
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 02:19 AM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sue is merely stating an opinion.
I am sure she has led an exemplary life of never having sex before marriage, never drinking too much, never smoking or taking any illegal substances of any kind, and never having a foul mouth leave her mouth...

I think she's full of it and her article lacks any form of perspective.

I think tattoos are a personal choice and I fully support people getting tattoos that are of great significance to them.

Paul Chapman has his deceased brother's head tattooed on his back. In 2006 he dedicated his Best and Fairest win to his brother, who was his best mate. I like stuff like that.

Other people get random crap put on their body just to get a tattoo. Many of those people will regret it.

In 2007 when the Cats won the flag, I was very close to getting a tattoo and had I got one, I would probably wished I hadn't...and I am glad I didn't in the end.

While not totally against, to me personally, they're unnecessary most of the time.

When it is something of personal significance, go right ahead!

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Growing up I remember the fella's having tatts but you never saw women or girls with them. Bit different these days.............
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Well, that article was rather pointless.
If people want to ink themselves, then that's their choice.

I don't have a tattoo, but I've wanted one for the longest time - my daughter's names on my upper arm.
The only thing stopping me is the fact that my oldest is at the impressionable age of 4 1/2.
I put on a temporary one a few months ago, and she started drawing all over her arms with a black texta.

It's also said that girls often go for men who remind them of their father - and I don't want my daughter going out with some big skinheaded, goateed, tattooed bloke.

But if she wants one later on, I won't have a problem with it (but not before she turns 18).

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #15
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

The only downside to a tat is that it is a fashion statement, much like earings, hair or clothing. But it is something you will have forever. I'm in my 40s and I can't imagine now wearing things that I thought were cool in the 1980s.

As for what people may think of you. That's their problem, not yours.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
brad24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People with tattoo's dont look down on people who dont have them.
Its a shame its not allways reciprocated

Ive spent over 50 hours in the chair & I dont regret one of them

'69 Capri

'95 triumph speed triple, '10 Fat Bob

My XT Fairmont
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11298079

My capri track car
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11492523
brad24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad24
People with tattoo's dont look down on people who dont have them.
Its a shame its not allways reciprocated
Thats it, the difference between people with tatts and people without is people with tatts don't care if you have tatts or not.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
As for what people may think of you. That's their problem, not yours.
Unless they are in the position of offering you a job, a promotion, a contract or some other opportunity in life.

Having prominent tattoos is similar to having poor table manners, poor social skills or poor language skills. Those without the skills don't notice those that have them, but those that do have the skills sure notice those who don't.

If you want to get ahead in life, it is so much easier to make a good first impression and then cement it with your actions, rather than make a poor first impression and then try and remedy it with your actions.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #19
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Unless they are in the position of offering you a job, a promotion, a contract or some other opportunity in life.
For sure, that's a very good point.
Old 18-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #20
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

Quote:

Having prominent tattoos is similar to having poor table manners, poor social skills or poor language skills. Those without the skills don't notice those that have them, but those that do have the skills sure notice those who don't.

If you want to get ahead in life, it is so much easier to make a good first impression and then cement it with your actions, rather than make a poor first impression and then try and remedy it with your actions.
That, I believe, would be discrimination.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
That, I believe, would be discrimination.
Bugger discrimination, I'm in a service based industry and there is no way I would hire anybody who has tatts all over them (visible ones I mean). Like it or lump it, some people do have a certain mindset and even if it is not accurate it is still something you have to take into account.
Old 18-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #22
ego gtp
Club Moderator
Donating Member3

Default Tattoos

I take offence to her calling us all crims bogans etc I'm a sucessful businessman father and grand father in the last 14months have spent 140 hours in getting tattooed and I am very happy with all of them and I wouldn't change them for any thing and I more thing my wife and kids love them and don't give a xxxx what anyone else thinks cheers
ego gtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #23
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Bugger discrimination, I'm in a service based industry and there is no way I would hire anybody who has tatts all over them (visible ones I mean). Like it or lump it, some people do have a certain mindset and even if it is not accurate it is still something you have to take into account.
You'd be in for a lawsuit with that attitude.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #24
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
You cant argue with the bottom line.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #25
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
i interviewed today with a large company in our chosen field, the person interviewing me had tattoos as well so it set my mind at ease, because as you might know i have both sleeves done.

i was totally aware that we work in a service industry when i decided to get more work done on my arms and i always knew there would be some people out there who would not approve. however, as long as they arent blatantly obscene (swear words etc) i dont see the problem.

on the job front, they chased me, offered me the job on the spot, didnt interview anyone else, all the while knowing i have tattoos. maybe the stigma about tattooed people is disappearing?

i will add though.... if i were in a position of hiring someone as you are, and there were 2 applicants, same experience, same skills, same qualifications, one tattooed like me and one without tattoos, i would take the cleanskin for the reason you stated, some people just dont want people who look like me in their home
Old 19-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #26
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Quote:

Seriously, what dribble?
I guess I have to tell that to our company’s National Marketing Manager and the General Manager who offered me my promotion in July, and I will have to resign immediately. I’m guessing then that they did not see my Southern Cross tattoo on the inside of my forearm while I was wearing a polo shirt during my interview.

Sorry I’m off to eat some mashed potato with my fingers….. and to flick some at the roof…

Quote:
I’m hearing you loud and clear mate…. Provided that the non-tattooed staff provides that good service you are talking about, and don’t act like a tool and say…. re-direct someone’s possessions all over the country as an act of spite…. Now there’s a crappy mindset…
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #27
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi XR8
and don’t act like a tool and say…. re-direct someone’s possessions all over the country as an act of spite…. Now there’s a crappy mindset…
pffftttttttt many moons ago and I don't really care. Obviously you're an angel.
Old 19-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #28
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Quote:
pffftttttttt many moons ago and I don't really care. Obviously you're an angel.
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #29
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have two tattoo's and my wife has one.

i have my kids names and a small picture with each name (butterfly for my daughter and a crown for my son) on my man boobs my wife has the kids names and one butterfly for each kid on her foot with some vine/tribal sort of detail to tie it together. we have had them since the kids were born pretty much so the kids don't take much notice of them.

don't think i will regret it, although when i told my doctor the first thing he asked was 'what will happen when your daughter hits her teens and hates you'

i want another tattoo, but i don't know what to get and i don't want to get something for the sake of it. was going to get my wife's name, but didn't want to jinx anything and i wouldn't get anything that can't be covered up easily, just incase i want to look repectable for an interview or something
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #30
CRU571XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Took me 8 yrs to find the right tatts for me i have my both daughters names on my left arm in a scroll and on my right i have a V8 (Ford of course) growing inside a womb ironicaly i drive a turbo 6 but i love my eights and whenever i get the chance i will show them off havent had a bad comment yet there all been where did get done i love it. I want more there very addictive.
So Sue go and get INKED.
Cheers Crusty

1984 XE ESP GHIA 351 5 SPEED
CRU571XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post