Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
barra265t
Banned

Default When something hits your towbar

Anybody had something come up against your falcon's towbar and drove away with no damage at all? Just had some stupid middle-aged women in a roofless '10 jeep cherokee ram into my towbar at a yellow light going red. Put a nice big dent in her front bar and a hole in her number plate, but my falcon and towbar still look spot on. Car still drives as before, panel gaps all still even and boot opens/shuts A1. Have I got away lucky?

Last edited by Auslandau; 17-04-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Don't avoid the swear filter ..........
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

My mum was in the front of a 3car pile up in my Fairmont. ... the VX wagon that hit my back was written off and the Subaru that hit her was too. But mine, just a small dent in the back lol
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
My mum was in the front of a 3car pile up in my Fairmont. ... the VX wagon that hit my back was written off and the Subaru that hit her was too. But mine, just a small dent in the back lol
Did your fairmont have a towbar, or is the AU built that tough :
Old 17-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
Did your fairmont have a towbar, or is the AU built that tough :
The AU's an ANIMAL!!! :ticking:

But, nah I've a Heavy Duty Tow Pack
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Anybody had something come up against your falcon's towbar and drove away with no damage at all? Just had some stupid middle-aged women in a roofless '10 jeep cherokee ram into my towbar at a yellow light going red. Put a nice big dent in her front bar and a hole in her number plate, but my falcon and towbar still look spot on. Car still drives as before, panel gaps all still even and boot opens/shuts A1. Have I got away lucky?
time will tell if you were lucky or not, i wouldve exchanged details and got your car inspected to see if there was indeed any structural damage
Old 17-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
g220ba
FGX XR8

Just remember all that force was essentially transfered directly into your chassis, I would at the very least have exchanged details then had the vehicle inspected to ensure no damage. It can be very deceptive with no visible damage.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
Just remember all that force was essentially transfered directly into your chassis, I would at the very least have exchanged details then had the vehicle inspected to ensure no damage. It can be very deceptive with no visible damge.
Have the number plate written down.
Who can do an inspection and where does the factory towbar hook up to on a BA?
Old 17-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

had a guy run in the back of my previous car at a stop sign on the way home from work. Hit my tow bar but i didnt know that! Felt harder so i assumed atleast my bumper was stuffed. I looked up in my mirror and pulled over onto the side of the road as soon as i turned the corner however to my dissmay the idiot drove straight past me! : So i followed him home (he ended up living 5 minutes up the road) and i pulled into his driveway, got out and asked why he didnt stop and his reply was "there wasnt any damage". I said well it was a hard hit so what if i had whiplash etc? Lucky for him he was right their was no damage that i could see, not even a scratch but that still didnt stop me from taken a picture of his car, rego, noting his address and asking him for his licence details.

Wonder if he would have driven off it he hit a car with a baby on board or an elderly driver?

Got the car inspected just incase but luckly no damage and everything was ok. Just the impact of the car felt like something had to be damaged.

Wont hurt just to get it checked out
Old 17-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I had the same thing happen. Some bimbo P-plater had assumed I was going to run a red light because there was no one else around. I didn't.

She didn't even get out to look at the nice hole she'd just punched into her bumper, just handed me her licence and told me her parents would pay for any damage.

I got the car checked out and it was fine. I could have got a bumper respray out of her though. It needs one from whatever the previous owner scraped all over it...
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

All the gaps will be about right now ?? Lol..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regardless of other unseen structural damage which others haven commented on, I would be very wary of towing anything decent with a bar that has taken a decent hit. A standard BA towbar is 1600kg rated, and I certainly wouldn't want to tow anything like that with the bar unless it had been checked. Towing or smash repair place maybe?

Have had two rear enders in cars with bars attached. No visible damage, and no structural (luckily) but both bars were sent to recycling and the other person paid for new ones. Not something you want to mess with. Any rear hit with a tongue or hitch still in and my smashy gets rid of the bar. I actually think its illegal too to leave a tongue on or a hitch in - just never enforced.

I also never keep my hitches in anymore anyway. While it might stop cosmetic damage, it transfers the impact to more serious places where the damage remains unseen, or bypasses the force from energy absorbing crumple zone straight into the chassis and your seat which can mess your neck up for life... oh and the 'lane is so long won't fit in the garage with the hitch still plugged in anyway. Bit harder with a towbar though as you have to undo the two bolts holding the tongue on, but still takes less than 20 seconds to get on and off.

I would get both the chassis and the bar itself inspected.
Old 17-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Regardless of other unseen structural damage which others haven commented on, I would be very wary of towing anything decent with a bar that has taken a decent hit. A standard BA towbar is 1600kg rated, and I certainly wouldn't want to tow anything like that with the bar unless it had been checked. Towing or smash repair place maybe?

Have had two rear enders in cars with bars attached. No visible damage, and no structural (luckily) but both bars were sent to recycling and the other person paid for new ones. Not something you want to mess with. Any rear hit with a tongue or hitch still in and my smashy gets rid of the bar. I actually think its illegal too to leave a tongue on or a hitch in - just never enforced.

I also never keep my hitches in anymore anyway. While it might stop cosmetic damage, it transfers the impact to more serious places where the damage remains unseen, or bypasses the force from energy absorbing crumple zone straight into the chassis and your seat which can mess your neck up for life... oh and the 'lane is so long won't fit in the garage with the hitch still plugged in anyway. Bit harder with a towbar though as you have to undo the two bolts holding the tongue on, but still takes less than 20 seconds to get on and off.

I would get both the chassis and the bar itself inspected.
Come on !! Paranoia reigns supreme ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #13
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Come on !! Paranoia reigns supreme ...
First rear ender my wife was passenger, looked to the left to see if the dog we stopped for made it (it did - just). P Plater though accelerated into the back of the car with the tow bar attached. Angle of my wife's neck when the hit came damaged all the ligaments in her neck. Would have been injured anyway but was told by all and sundry that the towbar tongue attached made it worse.

She still suffers the affects 10 years later.

2nd accident (wife not in car, but I was lazy that day and left tongue on) and there was a hairline crack in the paint on the tongue. Towing 1500kg and swerving on a highway was probably not the best plan to take my chances on how lateral forces affect weakened metal. I take it I am not alone in this though and this is why reputable repairers and insurers replace rather than taking the chance. Trailer sway with a damaged bar will greatly exaggerate underlying deficiences. I admit though that I had never thought about it much either though until explained to me by experts.

Actually wasn't my idea to change, it was just done and explained why when I picked it up. It was two different repairers over a period of a few years.

I haven't heard that Hayman Reese or Carosel did rear-end crash studies on their bars though which proved at which collisions they were safe to still use, and those which necessitated their replacement - which is why they are generally replaced.

Cautious? Yes.

Paranoid? Hardly.

You can guarantee if there was no merit in replacement that insurers would not pay for it, they aren't exactly charities. Yet they do all the time.

Laissez Faire is probably not the best concept for dealing with damaged cars.
Old 17-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

[QUOTE=Pinch] I actually think its illegal too to leave a tongue on or a hitch in - just never enforced.

QUOTE]
I do believe this is true, well in Vic anyway.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #15
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Regardless of other unseen structural damage which others haven commented on, I would be very wary of towing anything decent with a bar that has taken a decent hit. A standard BA towbar is 1600kg rated, and I certainly wouldn't want to tow anything like that with the bar unless it had been checked.
I wouldn't worry about the bar, just the transferance of force to weaker areas. Most bars have over 1 inch square of steel in the main body. 1 square inch of standard mild steel has a 28 tonne shear load or in imperial terms steel has a shear strength of 60,000PSI. If your connections to the car are intact i doubt you would have trouble towing 1600kg's after the bar has had a hit.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #16
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

This is why I have my tow ball on, It's not going to stop a major hit but it might just save some panel damage one day.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #17
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
This is why I have my tow ball on, It's not going to stop a major hit but it might just save some panel damage one day.
Exactly, more so when you've got a genuine fpv rear bar and only got 3rd party insurance.
Old 17-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Exactly, more so when you've got a genuine fpv rear bar and only got 3rd party insurance.
No one to blame but yourself in that case if your car is indeed damaged
Old 17-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your engine /gearbox is mounted on rubber mounts , a sudden shunt to the rear end can do all sort of things, a mate of mine did exactly what you did no change off adress, later that day the auto failed, it can buckle bodywork in unseen places , the next hit in the back it may fold up unexpectedly, you should always exchange names and address just incase, check your back door gaps.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #20
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
your engine /gearbox is mounted on rubber mounts , a sudden shunt to the rear end can do all sort of things, a mate of mine did exactly what you did no change off adress, later that day the auto failed, it can buckle bodywork in unseen places , the next hit in the back it may fold up unexpectedly, you should always exchange names and address just incase, check your back door gaps.
Was your mate driving a VT commodore or something? Bit surprised if it was a falcon, as 50% of my car's parts (entire drivetrain) are out of a car that was sent flying across an intersection after being struck on front right by a f250 at around 60kph with a drunk behind the wheel. And my car's been ticking like clockwork for 50,000+ km's as a daily with just regular servicing.
Old 17-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Was your mate driving a VT commodore or something? Bit surprised if it was a falcon, as 50% of my car's parts (entire drivetrain) are out of a car that was sent flying across an intersection after being struck on front right by a f250 at around 60kph with a drunk behind the wheel. And my car's been ticking like clockwork for 50,000+ km's as a daily with just regular servicing.
no it was a valiant but the point was you don`t know what damage is done in a rear ender even if it appears there`s no damage at the time, my dad also copped a hit in the rear hit and run, he tried to give chase but the gear linkage was bent and be could`nt select a gear, again no external damage could be seen .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #22
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Don't worry about the bloody car, are you sure you don't have any neck pain, even a little twinge $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #23
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Look underneath where the towbar bolts to the chassis rail (most types do) on the passenger side, there is usually a big slide part that lines up with a bolt sticking down from the car.

Take off your bumper and look behind it, there aere several bolts that hold it on here to, something will be bent unless it was just a small tap from the jeep

For serious impacts, ie other car doesn't drive away, your boot caved in, check engine and gearbox mountings as said, diff can be pushed forwards as well and usually it will start some driveline problems.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #24
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
Look underneath where the towbar bolts to the chassis rail (most types do) on the passenger side, there is usually a big slide part that lines up with a bolt sticking down from the car.

Take off your bumper and look behind it, there aere several bolts that hold it on here to, something will be bent unless it was just a small tap from the jeep

For serious impacts, ie other car doesn't drive away, your boot caved in, check engine and gearbox mountings as said, diff can be pushed forwards as well and usually it will start some driveline problems.
Thanks mate, had a look under her today and the chassis mounting points are as straight as she rolled off the factory. No contact was made with the bumper at all (bumper had dirt over it at the time and no dirt came off) .

When the impact happened, the car was still rolling forward and I didnt have my brake all the way down, as I was confused hearing this almighty screech (from the jeep, thought it was from my car) moment before the impact, thought my rear suspension had fallen out or something.

Anywhere else would I be looking? Where would I be going to get a proper inspection, would a mechanic be sufficient? I am reluctant to walk into a panelbeater as often their level of customer service is dirt and prices sky high unless you say the word 'insurance claim'.
Old 19-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #25
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks mate, had a look under her today and the chassis mounting points are as straight as she rolled off the factory. No contact was made with the bumper at all (bumper had dirt over it at the time and no dirt came off) .

When the impact happened, the car was still rolling forward and I didnt have my brake all the way down, as I was confused hearing this almighty screech (from the jeep, thought it was from my car) moment before the impact, thought my rear suspension had fallen out or something.

Anywhere else would I be looking? Where would I be going to get a proper inspection, would a mechanic be sufficient? I am reluctant to walk into a panelbeater as often their level of customer service is dirt and prices sky high unless you say the word 'insurance claim'.
A good mechanic would generally be ok. They know what is should look like.
Old 17-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #26
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mates mums bf2 was in like a 3 or 4 car pile up
2 small cars and a pajero from memory all ploughed into the back of the bf2
towbar went through the boot

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #27
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would certainly get it checked out.
Back in 1987, my parents were turning right on Warragul Road (waiting) when a drunken sod in a Fairlane came flying into the back of their car. The force bent the heavy-duty towbar 90 degrees apparently. The damage to the car was minimal...actually, it was almost non-existent, or so it appeared.

The force went throughout the car and the chassis was warped like buggery. Write-off.

That is why all of our cars have towbars attached. We never tow.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #28
Ibrox90
Banned

Interesting enough Back when I had my Magna, one of SAPOL's finest decided he wanted to rip off (Yes it came off completely) his front bumper on my magnas towbar.

No damage to the Magna at all.

Cop car removed and destroyed bumber, 2 punctured tires

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #29
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a lady roll into me at a set of lights, only a few days ago.

We had both stopped, she (with kids in the car) obviously didnt realise she had taken her foot off the brake enough for her Pajero to roll forward and tap my car.

We pulled over to the side of the road after the lights. No damage to mine, and a round punch mark on her bumper. If I didnt have the bar on there, I'd have had damage to my rear bumper and possibly boot and tail lights, not heavy damage, but enough to send it to the beaters. Glad I hadnt taken it off in that situation.

Oh and I did get her info (we also had a little chat, she was a nice lady) and I'm having the chassis inspected this week, though i doubt there was enough of an impact to do anything.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #30
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I have the tounge in all the time on all my vehicles, it wont stop a huge smash but does offer a little bit of resistance if someone gets a bit to close, even have one on the XR8, you just never no who is behind you and how stupid they are