Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
Syk0AU1

Default JMM exhaust tone

im considering gettin the dev1 from JMM very soon, but wonder what it will sound like. Does anyone have a wav file or mpg that shows what the au's sound like after the dev1?

Old 04-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

http://www.aufalcon.com/Shane/exhaust.wav

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syk0AU1
im considering gettin the dev1 from JMM very soon, but wonder what it will sound like. Does anyone have a wav file or mpg that shows what the au's sound like after the dev1?
Sorry I've got no mpeg/wav file with of the sound of mine but it sounds awesome!! I wouldn't trade my exhaust note for anything in the world. Mine has a real nice 'sports' note to it.

Also, going by the last time I heard Casper's car, my note is quite different to his. Mine has a much deeper rumble to it.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
Syk0AU1

im too after a nice deep rumble, a nice tone abit deeper than caspers. Do i have to say anything in order to get it, by the way they install it, or is it because casper has an xr6 or what?
Old 04-08-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syk0AU1
im too after a nice deep rumble, a nice tone abit deeper than caspers. Do i have to say anything in order to get it, by the way they install it, or is it because casper has an xr6 or what?
Yeah just ask Brenden when he does it. When I picked mine up it was already done with a sporty tone and was told if it was too loud to take it back within a week but I liked it the way it was :hihi:
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
Old 04-08-2005, 07:21 PM   #6
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

where did you get it done krissy?
you from melb?
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 07:24 PM   #7
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
where did you get it done krissy?
you from melb?
At JMM
Yes, from Melb (Werribee)
Old 04-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
buickman
buickman

Sorry guys but having mostly V8's in my life the 6's still don't cut it with exhaust sound. The only decent sounding 6's I've heard were the old log manifold ford 6's of the XK-XB's with the split system.

But the deep throaty sounds that I've mainly heard on the ohc ford 6's either have a hotdog or no rear muffler & the standed redback or Lukey centre muffler.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #9
The Mighty Red

I'd say the deeper rumble is because it doesn't have a resonator at the back of the exhaust.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #10
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Krissy, are you running JMM Race Headers too, or the Scavenger/Streetfighter Headers?

Cheers
Old 04-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Mines not deep and rumbly, its more raspy and gets a real snarl to it at high revs. I think it may be partly due to the VCT engine as most others with the same setup as mine have a deeper rumble.
Still, the WAV doesnt do it justice, its got a real bite to it in real life without attracting the undue attention of revenue collectors.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:44 PM   #12
buickman
buickman

Well my ford stock rear muffler is being replaced tomorrow as it has got a hole in it. I think I will go the hotdog this time ,I've got used to some noise now . The pacies & redback centre muffler is Ok.

I now the 4480 are 3 into 1 & the 4499 are 2 into1 are JMM 2 or 3 into 1.
Also are there any difference in overall lengths of these extractors where they bolt to the cat.

cheers buickman
Old 04-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #13
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Mines not deep and rumbly, its more raspy and gets a real snarl to it at high revs. I think it may be partly due to the VCT engine as most others with the same setup as mine have a deeper rumble.
Still, the WAV doesnt do it justice, its got a real bite to it in real life without attracting the undue attention of revenue collectors.
that's exactly how i'd describe the tone of mine. its not very loud but whips up the decibels at high revs. i probably would've liked more sound but then i remember that sound doesnt equal power - i've dropped plenty of loud cat backs that end up showing nothing of substance under the bonnet.

its also got a rough gurgle at idle that sounds pretty mean i'd say...moves a hundred or two revs from 1000 :

then again its a dev 3 with streetfighter headers so a plain dev1 would sound way different i'm supposing

will try to get a sound bite of it when i can be bothered
Old 04-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #14
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where would u guys reccomend in QLD to get a good set of extractors and exhaust through??
im thinkin just my local exhaust shop but get some GOOD extractors fitted from the likes of genie or somthing.. as well we dont have JMM in sunny QLD sadly..
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 11:14 PM   #15
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
where would u guys reccomend in QLD to get a good set of extractors and exhaust through??
im thinkin just my local exhaust shop but get some GOOD extractors fitted from the likes of genie or somthing.. as well we dont have JMM in sunny QLD sadly..
You wont beat Men at work exhaust in capalaba Pacies 4480 $500 fitted. Mandrel bend with muffler & Resonater $280. My EF has a 2.5 with no resonator (too Loud) screw the noise but was $200 fitted including a nice chrome exhaust tip. They are honest too!
Sleeperau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 11:31 PM   #16
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you live on the Northside of Brisbane you could try Rob Bliss Exhausts at Geebung or Ultimate Performance Exhausts at Brendale. Both do great jobs. Had my AU XR8 done at Rob Bliss, very happy with the result and after service is terrific.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:21 PM   #17
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are those pacemakers good for the VCT 6 in my fairlane? coz i read thru here they need to be GOOD to have any point in attaching them!

ill havta get a quote from the local joints see what they can muster up..my lil bro is starting a new job at a mechanics next week so should get trade rate aye??

cheers fellas
Old 04-08-2005, 11:38 PM   #18
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah im on the north side.. at morayfield
Old 16-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #19
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Hi everyone,

I finally got around to recording my Fairlane exhaust note. It has a JMM DEV 3 VCT kit with race series headers. Here is a link to the MP3 file (488Kb):

mp3 file

Andrew.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 06:50 PM   #20
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Hi everyone,

I finally got around to recording my Fairlane exhaust note. It has a JMM DEV 3 VCT kit with race series headers. Here is a link to the MP3 file (488Kb):

mp3 file

Andrew.

"Acchh! Sounds like that gopher I caught in the lawn mower!"

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 07:16 PM   #21
sfr rob

oh.. sounds nice when ya take ya foot off the throttle!

how much does a dev3 kit set ya back?
is it worth it?

Rob :eclipsee_
Old 17-08-2005, 10:18 AM   #22
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Hi everyone,

mp3 file

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

Bit off topic here.... but....

Ive been having fun with my fairlaine at JMM as well, headers, exhaust, stall, intake, putah and shift kit.

Damm Im impressed with her now, completely different car.

Ran it down 1/4 on Sat with HD towbar kit and roof racks on 15.6 with 60f 2.160

Have you raced yours yet?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 05:35 PM   #23
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ba Gt

: : : : Has any one just used the standard system on their GT and just either taken out the resinator or and titted hotdogs. If so what was the sound like then. I too am looking at trying somthing with out too much mods. I have fitted the CAI and that made a huge difference to performance and sound when you give it stick...but I miss that nice rumble you get.
GT290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 07:15 PM   #24
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Geez Dauphin... redline the puppy!!! I doubt it went over 4000rpm the whole time!

Old 16-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #25
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Sounds similar to mine. JMM use redback systems + their own headders.

And i agree with casper, sounds a little soft on the RPM side of things.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 10:01 AM   #26
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

You're right, Casper. Hehe, it was a frosty day and a cold engine. I thought about doing it again to redline but oh well.

Rob, it's definately worth it. Each time I had something done the machine felt more alive, especially when the chip went in. If you go to the JMM website (www.jimmockmotorsport.com) you'll see the prices for DEV kits. I don't know if VCT makes a difference in sound, maybe Casper can answer that.

I plan to mount the camera at the towbar one day and do some sprints, see how that sounds.

Actually, off topic. I mounted the camera on my passenger side sunvisor and went for a ten minute drive to someone's house last week. I caught four stupid acts in that space of time - two of them were people pulling out in front of me without looking. (None of them P platers and both in Holdens.)

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 17-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #27
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
You're right, Casper. Hehe, it was a frosty day and a cold engine. I thought about doing it again to redline but oh well.

Rob, it's definately worth it. Each time I had something done the machine felt more alive, especially when the chip went in. If you go to the JMM website (www.jimmockmotorsport.com) you'll see the prices for DEV kits. I don't know if VCT makes a difference in sound, maybe Casper can answer that.
The VCT's seem to have a more raspy sound rather than the deeper growl of the Intech. Oddly enough yours is certainly deeper sounding than mine (so is Laminges) however I would assume that being LWB the extra pipe length may have something to do with that.
I would also assume that the placement of the cat and muffler... along with muffler types... may have some influence on the final note.

Old 20-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #28
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
The VCT's seem to have a more raspy sound rather than the deeper growl of the Intech. Oddly enough yours is certainly deeper sounding than mine (so is Laminges) however I would assume that being LWB the extra pipe length may have something to do with that.
I would also assume that the placement of the cat and muffler... along with muffler types... may have some influence on the final note.
Also different tip sizes on top off exiting distance makes for slightly different notes as it echoes on exit as well the muffler type.
I had my stock modified rear muffler replaced a few weeks ago with a small hotdog resinator as I had got used of a bit of exhaust noise with the extractors & 2.5 redback system. It certainly has a deeper louder sound now plus a extra kw to boot :hihi:
All the OHC 6n/a Fords fitted with the Lukey mufflers that I.ve heard sound deeper in their notes.

buickman
Old 20-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #29
sfr rob

ok so what do you guys reckkon i get?

got an I6 AU. i want DEEP tone and not TOOOOO loud, going to have dual 4inch tips as well to fill the TS50 bar.

any suggestions?
Old 17-08-2005, 10:24 AM   #30
Dauphin
Irregular member

Not yet - I don't have enough courage to race it.