Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Traffic infringement notice errors.

How many people in AFF land have received a traffic infringement and the notice had an error on it eg. incorrect time, date, rego etc?
If you had a notice with an error did you challenge the penalty and succeed or just paid the fine?

AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everything was correct, but fortunately I applied for an official warning and got it after being caught by a ca$h camera :
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

Never bothered to look. The only one I have had I just paid and was done with it.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
AusM
AusMotorsport

I would think that if you could prove that the car was elsewhere at the stated time, it would make the fine invalid?
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

I honestly dont beleive Citylink know what they are doing now occassionaly I forget to pay and they send me the bill I pay the bill then the next week they send me a cheque back for the amount I have paid they have just done it once but about six times :
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 01:32 AM   #6
TadKa
Wait? What?

yeah I had the wrong date on one. Was going to sign a stat dec saying I wasn't on that road on that day but within a few days I got a letter saying it had been withdrawn.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Duke
The Duke

Interesting that you ask.
I got booked for "parking" at Sydney airport in mid November.
The truth is I left that car in the drop off zone for a matter of 90 seconds to assist my passengers inside the doors with their luggage.

Upon returning, there was a fella booking me and he got the date correct but wrote the wrong day.

I challenged the ticket based on the incorrect day and the fact that I was not "parked".

The challenge was done via a letter, posted 3 days after the booking... no reply.

I rang in January and spoke to someone who said they never got my letter, so I emailed another copy - no reply

I emailed again to say I was concerned about not getting an answer - no reply.

I emailed a 3rd time explaining that I'm concerned that it hasn't been dealt with and I don't want the fine increased for not paying it - again, no reply.

Yet I have a read receipt for each email I've sent, so I know they are getting them, just not answering...

I'm collecting all of the data and expecting to have a fight on my hands when they finally pull thier finger out.

Should be interesting what they say. I may go for legal help but I guess that would cost more than the $180 fine, still... the prinicple of the thing...
Old 11-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
MRJUCY
Fordless

I got one about 10 years ago that had my number plates but listed Falcon sedan not Laser hatch. I still paid it tho as I knew it was me but I did think about challenging it. I’ve challenged a couple of fines & always won but thankfully haven’t had to in years.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My bad, pls ignore.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

I had a speeding ticket issued by a patrol cop. He did not record my licence number or Address details properly. I went to the department of transport the next day to enquire what would happen.
The fine was cancelled and I heard nothing more about it.
As far as I know, all details must be correct or the fine is invalid.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #11
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

The ticket will be invalid, so, it is likely it will be withdrawn. However, there is absolutely nothing that stops another ticket with the correct details be re-issued (as long as its within 12 months of the offence).
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #12
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
Interesting that you ask.
I got booked for "parking" at Sydney airport in mid November.
The truth is I left that car in the drop off zone for a matter of 90 seconds to assist my passengers inside the doors with their luggage.

Upon returning, there was a fella booking me and he got the date correct but wrote the wrong day.

I challenged the ticket based on the incorrect day and the fact that I was not "parked".

The challenge was done via a letter, posted 3 days after the booking... no reply.

I rang in January and spoke to someone who said they never got my letter, so I emailed another copy - no reply

I emailed again to say I was concerned about not getting an answer - no reply.

I emailed a 3rd time explaining that I'm concerned that it hasn't been dealt with and I don't want the fine increased for not paying it - again, no reply.

Yet I have a read receipt for each email I've sent, so I know they are getting them, just not answering...

I'm collecting all of the data and expecting to have a fight on my hands when they finally pull thier finger out.

Should be interesting what they say. I may go for legal help but I guess that would cost more than the $180 fine, still... the prinicple of the thing...
Don't bother as now all fines in the Sydney International Airport is being
recorded by the video camera, so if you were to go to court all they need is
just provide the court with the video seeing that your car was there during
that time.

They got the date wrong but everytime when they book someone the
camera record it and store it so that they can retreive it later on if needed.

You can give it a shot and see if you can get away with it,
if you were to get away with it then you save the $180 fine.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
Duke
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunfairadvant
Don't bother as now all fines in the Sydney International Airport is being
recorded by the video camera, so if you were to go to court all they need is
just provide the court with the video seeing that your car was there during
that time.

They got the date wrong but everytime when they book someone the
camera record it and store it so that they can retreive it later on if needed.

You can give it a shot and see if you can get away with it,
if you were to get away with it then you save the $180 fine.
Thanks for that. If they go to video I guess I'm screwed, even though it was 90 seconds. However, it's been nearly 3 months and no response to my repeated requests for a review of the ticket - interesting to see what will happen. I'm diarising all contact with them in case I need to prove that I haven't just failed to pay it.
Old 13-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #14
groops

I once got done for parking in Brissy. Ticket was electronically printed and all correct..$50...I was really short that time of money and wanted to challenge it. I called the local council and requested that the ticket be cancelled cause I have been born, bred and licenced in NSW and as far as I was concerned, if it wasn't signposted otherwise it's park as long as you like....just like in Sydney CBD. Apparently they have blanket 2 hour parking in CBD unless otherwise signposted. These signs are on the way in, but not repeated anywhere in the city. They basically told me tough luck you have to pay...too bad...when I requested that they then pay the damage that their parking attendent had caused to my panel, they wanted to know what had been done...because my car is lowered that much there is no way they could get their chalk on the top of the tread of the tyre as they normally would. I told them this and the fact they they had scratched the panel of the wheel arch....when I told them I'd be sedning them the re-spray bill, and at the least the detail it was going to take to buff out of $250, they quickly responded, how can you prove it? Mam I have a camera on my phone and I have the images of where my car was parked and the damage caused, would you like me to forward that to you???...Please hold for a minute...Mr Groom, it's ok, we'll cancel the ticket and please forward your damage bill to this address.

Lol...Got my mate at car wash to write up reciept that I'd paid for full paint protection and repair and sent that in and had a cheque 2 weeks later for the 'cost of repairs'.

Ha ha.

Mike
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #15
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Thanks for that. If they go to video I guess I'm screwed, even though it was 90 seconds. However, it's been nearly 3 months and no response to my repeated requests for a review of the ticket - interesting to see what will happen. I'm diarising all contact with them in case I need to prove that I haven't just failed to pay it.
You can give it a shot & you never know you might get away with it.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 12:18 AM   #16
Rowy,xr6
Pods rule

A friend of mine got a speeding fine driving to melbourne to get a xf ute for me, the patrol car got him at 113km and fined him. but on the fine he spelt Warrmanbool wrong, he wrote Warmanbool (missing 1 r), and didnt write anything about his detected speed, alleged speed or the speed limit for the road, all he wrote was exeeded speed limit, $220... As far as i can tell the ticket should be invalid, is it?

Current Rides- Xf ute, just installed ea wiring loom, dashboard, 3.9lt mpfi and a 5 speed with extractors and a 2/1-2 exhaust... its much better now!
Check out Build- http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11288204
-BF XR6... And its BLACK!
Rowy,xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #17
Flaming Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowy,xr6
A friend of mine got a speeding fine driving to melbourne to get a xf ute for me, the patrol car got him at 113km and fined him. but on the fine he spelt Warrmanbool wrong, he wrote Warmanbool (missing 1 r), and didnt write anything about his detected speed, alleged speed or the speed limit for the road, all he wrote was exeeded speed limit, $220... As far as i can tell the ticket should be invalid, is it?

As far as the offence details go, I think as long as the offence code (usually 4 digits) is correct, simply writing "exceed speed limit" would probably suffice. The offence particulars of that particular 4 digit code written will cover the other details you have mentioned (for example - exceed 100klm zone by >11klm but <15klm). The actual speed (113klm) would no doubt be in the officer notes on the back of the original ticket. As far as for the minor spelling error, my guess is that it would not render the ticket invalid, but perhaps worth a try.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 01:17 AM   #18
paul_r_d

I was booked for speeding 10 kays over the limit. Yes I was speeding and I explained why to the police officer, however he refuted my reason and still gave me a ticket.

I was driving behind a bus full of school kids down at freeway which is a 110 kays. Some little moron was tearing up parts of a chair or something from the interior of the bus and throwing it out the window. My car was wacked twice. Been on a one way road I could not do anything. I kept my eye out and kept a distance. However as soon as the road split into two I hit the accelarator to over take it. Bang.... got caught by a copper right at the top of the overtaking lane. I explained it to the copper and he didnt take it. Just booked me.

I challenged the ticket, all I had to do was write a letter and I got a reply with in a month telling me the ticket has been withdrawn. I wrote that I felt like I was at risk if I remained behind this bus.
I also called the school them kids were from, had it out with the principal, and he whole hearlty accepted the $250 bill to remove the dint from my front bumper.

Takes a bit of challenging and good reason, but you can get out of fines for VALID reasons.

The missus
2003 Rav4 4 door Cruiser
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #19
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

many moons ago i got done speeding. the nice officer wrote down my rego number wrong. eg wre.000 not wer.000
thought about disputing but thought it wouldnt make difference because my name was on that ticket. the error wouldnt prove that i wasnt speeding, just proves the officer is as careless as i was.
Old 14-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
Duke
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by X000BOSS
many moons ago i got done speeding. the nice officer wrote down my rego number wrong. eg wre.000 not wer.000
thought about disputing but thought it wouldnt make difference because my name was on that ticket. the error wouldnt prove that i wasnt speeding, just proves the officer is as careless as i was.
Granted, what you say is quite correct, however, isn't it encumbent upon the people issuing the fines to ensure they record the correct details?

I'm certainly no legal eagle, but from my vast knowledge of crime TV ( ) I would've thought that incorrect information would be grounds for appeals and wotnot, especially in more impoortant cases such as murder or rape.

Shouldn't those same standards apply regardless of the offence?

This is just for the sake of discussion mind you, I have no inclination to fight the fine too hard... I'm just saying...
Old 14-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #21
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

If there is an error on an infringement notice the notice with the error is merely cancelled and a new infringement notice with the correct information is sent.
Old 14-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #22
Duke
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
If there is an error on an infringement notice the notice with the error is merely cancelled and a new infringement notice with the correct information is sent.
And if they don't know the correct information (for the sake of discussion)?

EG: mine was a mix up of date and day, the ticket said - Wed 22nd November... Which is impossible, it was either Wednesday the 21st or Thursday the 22nd...

Common sense prevailing, they would just look at the other tickets in that number series and validate the correct day - but will they bother?

Interesting to see....
Old 15-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #23
shane3
FPV GT 0915

My wife got a fine last Wednesday of $110.00 for parking within 10 meters of an intersection in Palfreyman st Sth Yarra, no sign post saying no parking and who the hell carries a 10mtr tape measure, this is going to be dragged into court unless they drop the fine, going back in the morning to take pics and measurements.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #24
MarkAW

Got a fine for speeding a while back but somewhere between the cops and the RTA it got lost in transit. I paid it so the Gov. got their money but I didn't loose any points - oh bliss (it doesn't show up on the RTA website)

RTA - 25
Me - 1

Hey I'm catchin up :
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #25
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

about 3 years ago I got a fine for my number plate protectors
the officer wrote on the fine that I was pulled up in liebig st . where I was Pulled up in banyan st.

It was from the "flying squad" that hits our town ever few mths and all I did was go to the local cop shop and they told me to not worry about it and they took my name and details and fine number and about 1 week later I got a letter saying that the fine was withdrawn.
Old 28-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #26
Duke
The Duke

Just updating my situation regarding my fine incurred at Sydney Airport - (described in post #7 above)

I received an email this morning to advise that my fine has been cancelled and there will be no further correspondence in the matter.

A small win but pleasurable nonetheless.
Cheers.
Old 28-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #27
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Just updating my situation regarding my fine incurred at Sydney Airport - (described in post #7 above)

I received an email this morning to advise that my fine has been cancelled and there will be no further correspondence in the matter.

A small win but pleasurable nonetheless.
Cheers.
Good job! You can't complain about that!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #28
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Just up dating the $110.00 parking fine my wife got last week, looks like we will have to take it to court, the allocated parking spot is with in 6.5 mtrs of the street corner with NO "no parking" sign or what so ever, and the fine was for parking with in 10 mtrs of an intersection, I went back and have taken pics and measurement but the counsel is not backing down so off to court we will go.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #29
LUXO_8
windsor user

the only parking fine i have ever had, had my rego listed totally wrong. the letters were right, but none of the digits were right. i just let it go, because it was like 3 minutes past the meter time

havent heard anything in 8 years, and i sold the car in 02, so im in the clear i reckon.

have no idea how they can issue a parking ticket and get the digits on the numberplate totally wrong
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #30
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a parking fine the other week. I was just after some advice whether to challenge it or not. I had parked but had no change to get the parking voucher so I went over the road to buy a drink and get some change, I went back over got the voucher but when I went to put it in the car, the parking ticket was already there!

I'm thinking maybe its pointless but I am so ****ed off, $25!
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post