Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Chris_Rogers01

Default Lowering springs?

Hey guys im new to the falcons and was wondering what's the lowest for a EF from standard ride height can i go for lowered springs? would go super lows can i go any lower? and if anyone can tell me about the ride quality would be appreciated as well, am located on the Sunshine coast so not many dirt roads or rough roads that i am bound to travel on. Cheers

(If anyone has pictures that they can post would also be appreciated Cheers)

Chris_Rogers01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 
Default Re: Lowering springs?

Check out this section of the forums....
http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=62
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you already know what the ride "quality" will be like when it's as low as possible...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Chris_Rogers01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I think you already know what the ride "quality" will be like when it's as low as possible...
haha yeah i had some idea, just wondering what the ride quality is with the super low springs upgrade? i know they look sweet seen them before, also is it technically legal for the ride height? not to familiar with legal ***** as im aware they sell lowering kits for all makes of cars when its lower then the legal height but they sell it anyways? haha
Old 13-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

100mm at the lowest point of the vehicle, not counting the bottom of the rims of course. This is a quite sensible safety move to stop something digging in and flinging you across the road if you get a flat.
I remember in years past seeing some super low cars that had bits of the undercarriage actually lower than the bottom of the rims...

Not to mention that, as was said in an article about modifying WRX's in particular, the factories spend hundreds of millions on suspension design, working out roll angles and pitch and roll centers...and then along comes Joe Bloggs in his corner suspension shop, who lowers it three inches, puts massive springs in it and stiff shocks, and the owner wonders why it handles like a bucket of pus. They said "fit bigger wheels, fit adjustable shock absorbers, fit better springs and sway bars and bushes...but pretty much leave ride height to within an inch or so of where it is to keep everything working properly."
it's not about bean counters spoiling everyones fun and suspension being a "compromise"...they could just as easily have designed it to sit an inch off the tarmac, but they don't...they know that the real world has lumps and bumps and holes and drop offs at the bitumen edge, so they design the suspension angles and roll centers to work around a car sitting 100mm off the road surface at the lowest.

Try and track down an old book called "Theory and practice of chassis practice", by Jan P Norbye. That's a real eye opened as to how to figure out how to set up your suspension to actually work and not just look good.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I think they have super super lows as well. SSL's.

Match it to some comfort shocks and it should still ride okay, but don't expect it to handle as well as it would with sports shocks, but at least it won't rattle your teeth out.

I think my NL Fairlane has super lows with Pedders comfort shocks and it still rides very nicely for a lowered car. Handles well too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Chris_Rogers01

I'm currently looking at Ultra low springs with a shock upgrade, not sure what brands to go with but i heard Koni and Boge are good choices...just making sure that it will pass legal ride heights in Queensland if it doesn't ill go Super lows
Old 13-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I doubt ultras would pass a roadworthy. They would be too low.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Chris_Rogers01

Okay then, i guess ill go for Super lows then?