Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Smile Selling your car carsguide V carsales

Hey guys,

Just thought I would share my latest experience in selling my car.

I was selling a vy2 commodore exec with alot of extras in as new condition with 146KM for $8900.

I had it by the side of the road for 2 weeks which resulted a tyre kicker and a bum who thought it would be fun to rip the mirror off.

I had it on carsales for more than 2 months for only 3 genuine inquiries and all of those ppl were extreme bargain hunters got inundated with spam and car dealers trying to buy the car cheap and more than a few scamers and for this I paid $60 for the privilege although the site is easy to use and in the past has worked well it's double the price now and it appears ppl don't look there anymore.

I put it on carsguide for $34 I got the online ad and ads over 2 weeks in a local paper and the Friday, Saturday and sunday telegraph had 6 genuine ppl in the first week and sold the car at full price within a week.

So guys if you are selling I would recommend carsguide over carsales.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers for the heads up, I would always use carsales over carsguide.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Carsales use to be really good but it's doubled it's price and I think a combo off too many cars and too few ppl going to the site have made it crap.

I brought my last 3 cars from there though.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

Old 26-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I had the same thing a few months ago trying to sell the cooks car. We went and bought a new one for her then i had the issue of selling the old, thought this will be easy whack it on carsales and wait for all the calls. 6 weeks i got 1 txt off carsales (which cost me $60). 1 week on carguide and in the paper and i had 4 phone calls..

Id definately use carsguide over carsales as it seems media print on lower end cars is the way to sell them!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Cooper69S

I had a good run with 2 cars I sold on carsales. Both were listed on the first page if you sort by lowest price, and both had the eventual buyer contact me within 3 hours of listing. I could've got a higher price if I'd waited - both were in good condition but wanted a quick hassle-free sale.
There are SO many cars on carsales that I think you need to be prepared to sell cheap to get a good response on there. Either that or make sure the ad really stands out with some particular selling point that will make people accept the higher price.
I haven't tried carsguide and don't look at it very often, but will keep that in mind in a coupla weeks time when I go to sell mrs's Mazda 6 that she doesn't use any more now that she drives the BF
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I use carpoint and then carsguide if carpoint is insufficient.

Bought the Subaru from ebay motors and the BF from Parramatta rd.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I use carsales myself.
Old 26-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
I had a good run with 2 cars I sold on carsales. Both were listed on the first page if you sort by lowest price, and both had the eventual buyer contact me within 3 hours of listing. I could've got a higher price if I'd waited - both were in good condition but wanted a quick hassle-free sale.
There are SO many cars on carsales that I think you need to be prepared to sell cheap to get a good response on there. Either that or make sure the ad really stands out with some particular selling point that will make people accept the higher price.
I haven't tried carsguide and don't look at it very often, but will keep that in mind in a coupla weeks time when I go to sell mrs's Mazda 6 that she doesn't use any more now that she drives the BF
Mine was the 3rd cheapest on there and the ones around my price were very rough or/and had 250KMs+ ones in similar condition to mine were going for 2-4k more

I think one thing that did not help is that I am in east sydney and most of the ppl that are gonna buy a 6yo commy are out west and dont want to drive here.

still though cant argue with the results i got more calls in 4 days on carsguide than 8 weeks on carsales and they are continuing today as i did not cancel the ad in time for todays paper.

ive got 2 freinds who are also struggling on carsales ill tell em to put it in cars guide and see how they go.

In the past i found carsales to be great but this recent experience plus the doubling of price means i will not advertise with them next time.

Old 26-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
Paxton
Cobblers!

My EF came from Carsguide. I tried Carsales, but their selection of EFs were absolute garbage. It was relatively local as well (still in the Shire).

I'd buy from Carsguide again.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

I have had a 80% success rate with carsales and carpoint which are one in the same.

Though the increased amount of scam artists was really getting on my nerves.

May look at carguide in the future, thanks for that, sometimes it's good to go back to basics.
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
bigsta
Making superman jealous

well this is nuts the calls just keep on coming I have had about 10 calls now for the car since yesterday all proper people not dealers trying to scam you.

Its always the way isn't it i dropped the price by $2K with the first 3 weeks because I was not getting calls.

Old 27-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #12
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

our local newspaper is great for selling cars... everything seems to sell for 2k more than it would anywhere else lol
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Carsales is a ripoff these days. Used to be like $15.

I tend to have the most luck with Drive these days.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
well this is nuts the calls just keep on coming I have had about 10 calls now for the car since yesterday all proper people not dealers trying to scam you.

Its always the way isn't it i dropped the price by $2K with the first 3 weeks because I was not getting calls.
was the ad running on both sites at the same time?

if/when i'm looking to buy cars, my first port of call is carsales. i try all sites - trading post, carsguide, drive etc but always carsales first. i know many others like this which is why i only use carsales to sell cars. i've sold all my cars for roughly what the market is willing to pay.

the main reason cars don't sell is they are priced too high. it is more a buyers market now than it ever has been. there is a lot to choose from, esp if you are willing to travel.

one thing i've also noticed is the dealer and private sale prices are much closer now. once you could save reasonable amount of coin buying private but these days there are many dealers with the best value cars.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #15
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bought my car of carsales. However with them now asking $60 to place an ad there going to go downhill
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Sold a few cars on carsales. Happy with the reply (although slow), but not happy with the advertising price. I too saw it creep up $10 at a time almost annually.

If you are advertising run of the mill cars like corolla, commy or falcon you will need o price your car very sharply to even get into the first few pages of results..

Will now look into carsguide
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #17
Struggo

Try Drive, http://www.drive.com.au/sell-your-car

2 photos in search results
8 photos and slideshow
SMS enquiries straight to your mobile
Unlimited changes
Advertised until sold

I have sold two cars on there in the past 4 years.
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #18
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
was the ad running on both sites at the same time?

if/when i'm looking to buy cars, my first port of call is carsales. i try all sites - trading post, carsguide, drive etc but always carsales first. i know many others like this which is why i only use carsales to sell cars. i've sold all my cars for roughly what the market is willing to pay.

the main reason cars don't sell is they are priced too high. it is more a buyers market now than it ever has been. there is a lot to choose from, esp if you are willing to travel.

one thing i've also noticed is the dealer and private sale prices are much closer now. once you could save reasonable amount of coin buying private but these days there are many dealers with the best value cars.

8 weeks + on carsales with only 3 calls mine was always one of the cheapest on there i brought it down by a few grand to compete with older models in the end it was the 3rd cheapest and nothing of the same model was available with similar kms for at least $2500 more the one $400 cheaper and more than double the KMs and was visibly rough I mean the guy had not even washed it for the pics.

4 days on carsguide at the lower price car sold full asking price, ive really been inundated with calls since it went in the papers because i did not cancel the ad in time.

I sort or regret selling it so cheap now but the lack of interest from carsales made me think it had to be cheaper.

I think websites popularity change all the time and the fact that there is so many scammers on carsales prob turns ppl off too.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #19
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I put one of my cars up for sale a few days ago. I went with carsales, carsguide and ebay plus various forums. So far Ive had about 5 scam messages, a call from the carsales ad and from the ebay ad I got 2 calls and an email. Maybe carsguide might come through with the sale

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post