Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
Ego T

Default Territory on Today Tonight

Just saw an ad for Today Tonight for tomorrow (Friday)
Looks like they're going to give the Territory a kicking...

Ego T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I think car problems is the medias flavour of the month. Heard on the radio today about Honda recalling CRVs in the US now.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was inevitable. (Assuming it is about the ball-joints)

Hopefully this will make Ford do something about the problem rather than just waiting till something serious happens.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
(Assuming it is about the ball-joints)
Chances are it will be...but it's a problem that is well known and I thought was dealt with, due to the release of of the updated Terri....

Perhaps they can release a report on how the SIDI sounds fantastic until you look at your fuel bill?

Perhaps they can look at the Prius and how it is a knight in urine-stained armour.

How about those mongrels with the misinformed sensationalism actually provided positive reports on business.

Positive-spin stories should not just be on sick children or fluffy puppy dogs...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you ask me the more the better . I think the some manufacturer's in car industry needs a good kick up the backside . Safety issues in brand new cars is a joke.
Shame its ford on the choping block . But you reap what you sow.
People dying in toyota's is a example of how much there incompetence can effect people lives. My opinion is ford got lucky with the ball joints and brake failures that no one was seriously hurt.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Chances are it will be...but it's a problem that is well known and I thought was dealt with, due to the release of of the updated Terri....
That doesn't mean all the Territorys (Territories?) from the SX and SY era aren't affected anymore, they should be recalled.

It's just lucky that all the reports of collapsing ball joints have been at low speeds so far, otherwise this would have been reported on a lot quicker.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
Benny
TTG Owner

Probably what this thread is about, looks like they are going to air it in other states.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

There's a lengthy discussion going on in the Territory section. It seems Sinead McAlary (Ford PR) has also joined in.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For everybody's reference, here are the posts from he who claims to be Sinead McAlary.

http://fordforums.com.au/search.php?searchid=4166127
Old 12-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
For everybody's reference, here are the posts from he who claims to be Sinead McAlary.

http://fordforums.com.au/search.php?searchid=4166127
I just got a message "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. " when I clicked on that - must have been fake and had admin delete them.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Try this one:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/search....archid=4166235
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Now that one wont work.

Just go here to see his posts:
http://fordforums.com.au/showpost.ph...3&postcount=46
http://fordforums.com.au/showpost.ph...6&postcount=70
Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

It's TT who cares?

They will probably say it only happens to single mums who have agressive neighbours, hoons in the street and who marry con artists.... *Yawn*
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

This thread (territory ball joints on today tonite) has been running since last Monday. The TT article aired in SA on Tuesday.

As linked to above it has flushed a poster from inside Ford onto the forums. About time IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford PR
Hello all,

In answer to some of your queries or concerns, I can confirm that Ford is aware that some customers have experienced issues with the ball joints on their Territory. The majority of instances of excessive wear on the ball joint have been discovered and rectified by Ford dealers during normal servicing.

However, Ford takes the safety and ongoing piece of mind of our customers very seriously and is undertaking a detailed engineering investigation to determine any potential root cause to the issue that has been reported.

We have an engineering team working on the issue as fast as possible; however, while speed is important, it is also imperative that we ensure that we investigate the issue thoroughly.

In the meantime, any customer who is concerned about their ball joints should contact a Ford dealer to have them inspected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford PR
Thanks for the welcome from some of you and yes, I can guarantee you I'm genuine...my name is Sinead and I run the Communications department for Ford Australia. I don't normally post here because these are your forums, not ours, but I thought in this case that it was worth letting you know that we're definitely working on the issue. We're moving as fast as we can and we're making progress. In the meantime it's worth pointing out that the separation issues a small number of people have reported to us to date take place under low speed, full steering lock maneuevers and only if the ball joint is significantly worn, which is why our dealers are inspecting them and recommending replacement if necessary. Our engineering investigation is continuing and as soon as we're in a position to tell you more, we will.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
falcon convert

It's TT who cares?

They will probably say it only happens to single mums who have agressive neighbours, hoons in the street and who marry con artists.... *Yawn*

You forgot to mention that the single mums with aggressive neighbours have obese kids
falcon convert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

This is airing on TT in Perth tonight as well.

And as much as I hate to lay the boots into Ford, they deserve all the bad press they get over this issue. To let such a stupid design flaw get signed off is just...well, stupid.

They had better sort this issue out, and sort it out quickly, because people still remember the Pinto scandal, not to mention repeat Territory customers who got burned by Ford with this sure as hell aren't going to be repeat anymore - it's going to be a case of 'once bitten, twice shy' for many.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #17
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
It's TT who cares?

Seagway of the week :P

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #18
Chopped
as in chopped

Different tone in here compared to the Craptiva thread !!!!
> hypocrites <

TT & ACA are both **********
Old 12-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #19
Falcman0o7
Banned

I bet holden pays the media to keep things quiet.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didnt realise it was that time of year already, does that mean dodgy builders on Monday, the Ford have their problems I know it you know it the consuming public know it and so do ford, whats a tabloid current affairs show hope to prove?

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #21
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People should not be defending Ford about this, its disgusting. A captiva which wont start is no big deal, but a Territory which has its front suspension collpase in a carpark monevoures is bloody dangerous, what if this happened on the highway or a windy road? And ball joints needing replacing at 30,000km is a joke.

They should of done a recall. Period.

PS: I think Sinead is a female name not a male's.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #22
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
People should not be defending Ford about this, its disgusting. A captiva which wont start is no big deal, but a Territory which has its front suspension collpase in a carpark monevoures is bloody dangerous, what if this happened on the highway or a windy road? And ball joints needing replacing at 30,000km is a joke.

Valid point but whats the % thats failing, mines doen 95,000 and they are still fine never had a problem? if a hand full fail at 30,000 its no big dea land hardly warrants a recall, and if the majority are being picked up at PM servicing theres no issue IMHO, if however the cars that are havign faling issues as in colaping arnt having regular servicing inline with the log books or the dealer servicing is checking thats a compleate other issue

Old 12-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #23
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

O yea if you check my post history you'll see I dont defent ford I just think theres no point in a mass recall over an issue that can be delt with at R&M servicing a ball joint will typicaly knock and bang for some time before it falls in a heap

That said I remember TRW doing a major recall about 18years ago becasue they had ball joints poping out all over the shop but even then they banged and knocked for a bit before they failed

It was a "O crap" moment though when I followed an LH Torrana over the railway corssing and watched it nose dive in a shower of sparks when his fell out

Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #24
4VCLEVO
XA GT

So the show has aired and this is the result. Ford will repair ball joints for free on affected '04 and '05 Terries. About time.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #25
richa
handsomest man in showbiz

Thumbs down Can I say this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
Valid point but whats the % thats failing, mines doen 95,000 and they are still fine never had a problem? if a hand full fail at 30,000 its no big dea land hardly warrants a recall, and if the majority are being picked up at PM servicing theres no issue IMHO, if however the cars that are havign faling issues as in colaping arnt having regular servicing inline with the log books or the dealer servicing is checking thats a compleate other issue

There’s always one...And I guess you’re it this time

'72 GS
richa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #26
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

There was one which failed .. Apparently it was bought second hand from a place that is known to NOT service their cars very well...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #27
Electric XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have had nothing but dramas, blown up gearbox,head gasket, randomly going into limp mode(it is like driving with the hand brake on), electrical problems and other issues and the car has just hit 100,000 km
our warranty has ran out but because my wife contacted the dept of fair trading before the warranty had ran out they still have to sort these issues out.
They have no idea what the problem is and cant sort it out so we are going to get on dept fair trading again.

06 GHIA

Last edited by DJM83; 13-02-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Avoiding swear filter
Electric XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #28
xw_beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
There was one which failed .. Apparently it was bought second hand from a place that is known to NOT service their cars very well...
The thing is these ball joints are a non-serviceable item.
Its not just limited to the territory, at the panel shop I work at, we have repaired 2 AU falcons with the exact same problem. The lower control arm ball joint fails and the wheel is pushed back into the fender and dents the foot well and steering control is lost.
I love Falcons but this is pretty bad.
xw_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #29
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by richa
There’s always one...And I guess you’re it this time
OK golf clap to you old son,

next time I'll just scream woont some body think of the childern or the sky is falling,

I dont see any point in spending squillions on a recall for a hand full of cars thats suffer a problem if the owner gets their car serviced porperly they will show up before failure

Old 12-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #30
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by landau jaybie
we have had nothing but dramas, blown up gearbox,head gasket, randomly going into limp mode(it is like driving with the hand brake on), electrical problems and other issues and the car has just hit 100,000 km
our warranty has ran out but because my wife contacted the dept of fair trading before the warranty had ran out they still have to sort these issues out.
They have no idea what the problem is and cant sort it out so we are going to get on dept fair trading again.

06 GHIA
Why come onto a Ford website as speak like that??

Funny, I dont have one problem with me Ford.. Best car I have ever had!!

Last edited by DJM83; 13-02-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post