Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 31-01-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
bru20vt

Default Fiesta problems

Guys, you might want to check if your fiesta has a similiar problem. My 6 month old Fiesta LX 3 dr window sill is starting to flake and lose the thin black coating. Dealer is replacing both sides under warranty.

Secondly, and dont get me wrong as I love the way this car drives and the general solidity (lack of any squeaks) compared to the audi I had previuoisly.

I am still getting rough idling on start up even though the ECU has been reflashed by the dealer. Also, I will be sitting at the traffic lights and it feels like it wants to jerk forwad even though my foot is on the brake. It is an auto and I only ever put BP Ultimate.

I would be very interested if anyone else is having this problem.

dom

bru20vt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hmm thats interesting.....My window sill is all good. no prealing or loosing of anything. Mind you i polish and wash my car every weekend but thats beside the point. Good that its getting done under warranty.

Hmm that idle problem, i know a couple of people have sort of mentioned something like that.

Hmm first problem ive encountered.......apart from Teki's water pump blow.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Hmmmm, Do you think the window sills have corroded (?) or look to have been not coated properly beforehand?? Good to hear that its getting replaced under warrenty.

About 4 months in after purchase, I also had a rough idle, and on occasions the car would just stall (auto). Took it straight to ford dealership, where they checked everything and found no problems, but did reflash the ECU. Since then it is running fine. I have also noticed that usually about 2000kms before recommended service the car really lacks omph, I am getting a churning noise from the belts/pulleys, occasionally car boggs down when you punch it hard.

So maybe get then to do a quick service, but obviously get ford to investigate the matter further.
Old 31-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day,

I think we talked briefly when I was buying the 17" MP3 Wheels from PowerFord. You mentioned about cold-start problems.

Well since I'm kind of new to cars and motoring, can someone explain to my what window sill (seal?) is? a picture of it maybe?

As with rough idle, I've never had that problem. I've done 11,600kms using Optimax, Optimax Extreme, V-Power, V-Power Racing, Vortex, Vortex98, and BP Ultimate..... I can say I've never had the problem you stated (and hoping will never have).

Maybe change the spark plugs (and leads) to better ones?

Also, could the oil cause that problem? I've been using Castrol EDGE 5W-30.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
bru20vt

Hi Ivan, yes that was me.

The window sill is the black plastic on the outside of the car at the top of the door.

I must admit that with water restrictions I only was the car every 3 weeks. Even so, it should not deteriorate so quickly.
Old 31-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
nnng_oozie
Bone Stock Fiesta!

I agree, it could possibly be your spark plugs.

I can't recall a name but i remember someone talking about bad spark plugs a few months into the car. They even had pics!
nnng_oozie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Yeah i should ahve said sparkplugs too. if you have a search i have posted pixs of my sparkplugs I think at 30k, and they were rooted.
MISTA FIESTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
bru20vt

Wow, I never had any cars where I had to change the spark plugs at 9,000 kms. I cant see how any water could get in there for them to corrode. I'll see if I can get the engine cover off and have a look.
Old 31-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
photn
AFF Post NAZI

there is a thread about removing the engine cover. its on the euroford Website. and trust me when you do it. it requires a bit of UMPH.

I can wash my car everyweekend cause i live on Tank water. so i dont use town water ware i live lol. 2x 20,000 litr tanks do the job.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
goop

my sills are pretty yucko too. I'm still a ways off my 15k service; might pay to get it in to them earlier.
goop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

The window sill was probably just from a dud batch at the factory. Its getting replaced on Warranty so no biggy.

A problem with some Australian delivered fiesta is they have fouled spark plugs, this is only affect a few and is probably a results of the boat trip over from Germany. If yours a in poor condition get them changes and the problem will be fixed.

The part you need to take off is the Airbox not an engine cover
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #12
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The stock spark-plugs that came with the Fiesta arent that good apparently. I'll change them sometime in the middle/end of the year. We'll see.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #13
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn

Hmm first problem ive encountered.......apart from Teki's water pump blow.
They found what in his water pump!!?? : : :
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #14
Imolator
Quad Cam

The Fiesta will go through spark plugs quicker than other cars because of the way their ignition systems are set up. The plugs are setup to fire in pairs so there is always one wasted ignition cycle, which means that instead of the plugs firing in 1 3 4 2 sequential order they actually fire in pairs one on the compression stroke and the other on the exhaust stroke. Basically the spark plugs are doing twice the work and will wear out quicker than other ignitions systems that fire them individually.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #15
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Wasted spark inginition is used in plenty of cars. Use should replace spark plugs when the manufacter recommends it or when they are worn out to the point of being inefficient which ever comes first.
Old 31-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #16
Imolator
Quad Cam

There is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that Fords 45,000km replacement of the sparkplugs is hugely optimistic. One wonders if they really tested how long they would last or just picked a number out of the air.

In the service guide one of the few errors listed is that the 45,000km change of sparkplugs is given for cars driven under extreme conditions. (page 37)

Ford in the Uk and Europe list the plugs as being due to replace at 37500 miles.

Ford Australia say that they should be changed at the B sevice which they list as first occuring at 60,000km (page 35) Then later under the dealer stamp section have the B service occuring every 45,000 km for normal usage. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. They cant even get the service guide right.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #17
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

The replacemnt interval is 60,000km and no they didn't pull the number outa the air. The Sigma range have been in service since 1995 and if they had issues they would have adjusted the figures by now.
Old 31-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #18
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I think what Imolator it trying to say that the Australian Ford Fiesta Service book lacks consistency within itself, and also in comparison to the overseas intervals.

So yes, maybe they DID pull the number out of the air (It's an expression. I think he means that they obviously got things wrong...)

Dom,

Welcome! Good to know they fixed it under warranty. Ford Aust are pretty good with warranty repairs.

The engine I found was usually a little 'ruff' in comparison to other small cars... but it didn't lack character! I'd probably only feed her some BP Ultimate and as others have mentioned, get the spark plugs checked.

Hope you enjoy the car as much as I did when I owned one!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #19
bru20vt

Thanks for everone's input. The car is booked in for next Tuesday to get the sills replaced. This will be the third time I have asked them to check the rough idle/misfire. I hope I can convince them to take a look atthe spark plugs.

dom
Old 01-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #20
frinik

I just pulled the cover off to take a peek at my sparkplugs. Its a WP 04 model, this is the first time ive done it due to a recent rough idle on a cold start and a shudder at around 80km/hr and i only had it serviced by ford in feb. As per previous posts suggested they were pretty rusted. I'll be off to get new ones tomorrow, maybe even the pipercross induction system if its around.
I remember somebody posted how to get to the spark plugs on euroford but that forum seems to link back here now? ..
I'll document how to get the cover off and get to the plugs for all the Do it urselfers, it took me a while to figure out what was going on.
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post