Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #1
BradZ
I'm still alive

Default Px2 Rangers becoming faulty?

So recently I've seen an alarming number of people bashing Px2's for being faulty and having a number of problems. At first I thought " surely not, they're selling incredibly well and Px1's are great utes "
But the more I look, the more of this I see.

I have seen a lot of injector failure complaints and the odd zf problem. But I heard just today that apparently there has been a case of one becoming a runaway. And by that i mean the thing you expect from million kilometre truck motors.

For those who don't know what a runaway diesel is, I'll do my best to explain to the best of my knowledge.

It's when they get so much blow by they get enough oily residue/fumes/mist back through the intake via the pcv ( i think) that they dont need the diesel to run and they begin to run off their own fumes per say.

As they begin to pick up rpm, more blow by is pumped into them which in turn increases rpm and so on. Once it begins, the engine will just keep climbing in rpm untill catastrophic failure. Hitting the key wont save you as the engine is already running without diesel and there's no ignition source to kill either.
I believe the only way to stop them is jamming the engine somehow or smothering the air intake, although you need to do it fast or its too late.

That's basically how it works, I'm sure someone will be able to explain futher or correct me.

So why is this happening?
My theory is now that they're so popular they're rivaling the Hilux that perhaps they are being rushed and built too quickly?
As far as I'm aware, Px1 are rock solid.

I'm worried this will become the norm and the Px2 will get the reputation of being this generations Yd25 (Navara) or Zd30 (Patrol).

I'm looking to buy a Px in the near future and as much as the 2's look fantastic, I was considering a series 1 just because of price, but now hearing these horror stories has swayed me.

So, what do you all think? What have you heard? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-5000k Headlight conversion
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub
-Pioneer Class D Digital 800W Amp

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Build Thread http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11344773
BradZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Px2 Rangers becoming faulty?

Where did you see this alarming number of people bashing px2s. The pub, a toyota forum..... Everyone I know first hand talks highly of them. I'm only 12,000km in so can't really comment on longevity. No complaints in terms of build quality so far. Especially after coming from a jeep and a ba falcon before that. I know five other farmers around here with PX2s and no problems at all. Unlike me they work them hard too, towing grain bins and fuel back from town. Some have over 100,000km and no drama at all. I bought my px2 to hang on for a long time. If it turns out to be a turd it will get traded on a mustang near the end of the warranty. Then back to a nissan for the next ute probably.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
nstg8a

Yep, seeing more and more complaints about them.

Built as cheap as possible with the lowest cost wages etc. all the car companies do it now. Quality is out the window.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2017, 12:04 AM   #4
BradZ
I'm still alive

BPXR6T, few stories from mechanics fixing them, few from forums, Facebook groups etc.

Dont get me wrong I'm not bashing them. I'd kill to own one. Price was already scaring me away let alone hearing all this.

Im glad yours is going great, seems there's a few lemons starting to show their heads.

I'm amazed by the runaway story though, only ever seen it in very tired old truck and tractor motors. Have no evidence to sight that shows it actually happened, so who knows.

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Old 20-08-2017, 12:12 AM   #5
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Pretty much all of the ones Rio bought, are no longer on the road. They barely lasted 2 years.

I know mine roads and access roads are pretty rough on a vehicle, but I think it's as good a gauge of a vehicles quality.

I was a huge fan of the Ranger and also the Amarok, both the best dual cab 4wds on the road according to the motoring journalists, but up here in the Pilbara they have and are failing.
Old 20-08-2017, 12:28 AM   #6
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've heard of one PX1 that had a runaway diesel. I hadn't even heard of the term till today but my dad was telling me ages ago about a bloke he knows had an engine revving on it's own till it blew up. Then today I saw a video on facebook of a brand new ranger revving it's guts out, smoke pouring everywhere. By the sounds of it, it's not a common occurrence, but it can happen.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 12:30 AM   #7
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza View Post
I've heard of one PX1 that had a runaway diesel. I hadn't even heard of the term till today but my dad was telling me ages ago about a bloke he knows had an engine revving on it's own till it blew up. Then today I saw a video on facebook of a brand new ranger revving it's guts out, smoke pouring everywhere. By the sounds of it, it's not a common occurrence, but it can happen.
That video sounds exactly like what I was told about. I didnt know where to find it though...

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Old 20-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #8
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
Pretty much all of the ones Rio bought, are no longer on the road. They barely lasted 2 years.

I know mine roads and access roads are pretty rough on a vehicle, but I think it's as good a gauge of a vehicles quality.

I was a huge fan of the Ranger and also the Amarok, both the best dual cab 4wds on the road according to the motoring journalists, but up here in the Pilbara they have and are failing.
Sounds like Patrol and Cruiser territory

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Old 20-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #9
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradZ View Post
Sounds like Patrol and Cruiser territory

It's 70 series country for sure.
Old 20-08-2017, 12:43 AM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
So recently I've seen an alarming number of people bashing Px2's for being faulty and having a number of problems. At first I thought " surely not, they're selling incredibly well and Px1's are great utes "
But the more I look, the more of this I see.

I have seen a lot of injector failure complaints and the odd zf problem. But I heard just today that apparently there has been a case of one becoming a runaway. And by that i mean the thing you expect from million kilometre truck motors.

For those who don't know what a runaway diesel is, I'll do my best to explain to the best of my knowledge.

It's when they get so much blow by they get enough oily residue/fumes/mist back through the intake via the pcv ( i think) that they dont need the diesel to run and they begin to run off their own fumes per say.

As they begin to pick up rpm, more blow by is pumped into them which in turn increases rpm and so on. Once it begins, the engine will just keep climbing in rpm untill catastrophic failure. Hitting the key wont save you as the engine is already running without diesel and there's no ignition source to kill either.
I believe the only way to stop them is jamming the engine somehow or smothering the air intake, although you need to do it fast or its too late.

That's basically how it works, I'm sure someone will be able to explain futher or correct me.

So why is this happening?
My theory is now that they're so popular they're rivaling the Hilux that perhaps they are being rushed and built too quickly?
As far as I'm aware, Px1 are rock solid.

I'm worried this will become the norm and the Px2 will get the reputation of being this generations Yd25 (Navara) or Zd30 (Patrol).

I'm looking to buy a Px in the near future and as much as the 2's look fantastic, I was considering a series 1 just because of price, but now hearing these horror stories has swayed me.

So, what do you all think? What have you heard? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Why do some new vehicles break down? well any make and model is known to do so!

Don't think the PX ranger is renown for injectors failure or runaway engines, sure a couple might have suffered this but for the amount sold no way!

Oh here is a link of one doing engine runaway ........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg-id-mb0JA
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 12:47 AM   #11
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Why do some new vehicles break down? well any make and model is known to do so!

Don't think the PX ranger is renown for injectors failure or runaway engines, sure a couple might have suffered this but for the amount sold no way!

Oh here is a link of one doing engine runaway ........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg-id-mb0JA
No they're obviously not renown for either, I'm hoping it stays that way. I just hope this isn't the start of it

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

This user likes this post:
Old 20-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Same engine and same auto (BTW they're not a zf). But the px was more reliable then the px2? Doubt it.
Old 20-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and people knock my Captiva !!
Old 20-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #14
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
BPXR6T, few stories from mechanics fixing them, few from forums, Facebook groups etc.

Dont get me wrong I'm not bashing them. I'd kill to own one. Price was already scaring me away let alone hearing all this.

Im glad yours is going great, seems there's a few lemons starting to show their heads.

I'm amazed by the runaway story though, only ever seen it in very tired old truck and tractor motors. Have no evidence to sight that shows it actually happened, so who knows.

90% of diesel runaway is by turbo failure, around 2% is natural build up oil in the intercooler (that should be drained at 6 monthly intervals)..
rarely is it blow by.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #15
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And a catch can would prevent this?
BA 5.4L Fairmont goone
LW MKII Focus ST gone

Y62 Series 5 Patrol TI
FG MKII XR6T
FGX XR8
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I'd love to know where all these lemons are?? Most of my clients run them with no problem.

The biggest downfall is when you mod them it seems or don't maintain them.

Cheers
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #17
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
I'd love to know where all these lemons are?? Most of my clients run them with no problem.

The biggest downfall is when you mod them it seems or don't maintain them.

Cheers
Agree. Im coming up to three years with mine since buy new and the only issue I've had was the input shaft seal in the transfer case was leaking. Fixed under warranty no big deal. With the amount of them on the road id be pretty confident that this sort of incident is out of the norm.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #18
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
90% of diesel runaway is by turbo failure, around 2% is natural build up oil in the intercooler (that should be drained at 6 monthly intervals)..
rarely is it blow by.
How does a turbo failure cause runaway or uncontrollabe over revving.Over revving stuff ups I have heard about have been caused by accidently filling up with petrol
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
Where did you see this alarming number of people bashing px2s. The pub, a toyota forum..... Everyone I know first hand talks highly of them. .
People on this forum who have never touched one for starters

They are in the top sales chart every month, there are a lot around so yes we will hear of more issues compared to smaller sellers.
Plus they are the type of vehicle people heavily mod, drive hard and talk about online.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #20
mick74GT

We've done 30000k in ours and haven't had any problems. It's been great.

For what it's worth
E3 Maloo Black Edition
VW Golf GTD - Wifes Weapon
mick74GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #21
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
How does a turbo failure cause runaway or uncontrollabe over revving.Over revving stuff ups I have heard about have been caused by accidently filling up with petrol
Pretty sure it would be from a turbo seal leaking allowing engine oil that lubes the bearings to enter the intake manifold.

Big truck engines blow turbo seals sometimes......Side of road remove and replace jobs.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #22
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
seals fail in the turbo, oil pressure from the feed line they drink..
Old 20-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #23
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHR View Post
And a catch can would prevent this?
yes but not necessary, as the intercooler is the catch can.
simply drain the intercooler.
Old 20-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #24
leesa

Those videos are pretty scary. Some other videos showed the only way to stop it in an auto is to block off the air intake before the engine destroys itself.
Do rangers come with a sort of air kill switch by chance? Or can one be installed?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #25
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Those videos are pretty scary. Some other videos showed the only way to stop it in an auto is to block off the air intake before the engine destroys itself.
Do rangers come with a sort of air kill switch by chance? Or can one be installed?
install aftermarket..
Old 20-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #26
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
install aftermarket..
Yes, that's what I'm asking. Is there one available?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #27
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Yes, that's what I'm asking. Is there one available?
yes; Maitland diesel, Berrima diesel, Detroit, cummins, cat, mack, Volvo, will have these air shut off..
Old 20-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #28
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What do you think happens every time you turn the key off all modern diesels have a butterfly valve in the intake manifold to strangle the air supply when switched off .To answer your question they already have one.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #29
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

[QUOTE=DoreSlamR;5989155]Pretty much all of the ones Rio bought, are no longer on the road. They barely lasted 2 years.

QUOTE]

don't know about that,, i see them all over the Rio sites still, yes some have fallen apart and Rio had to get suspension/off road upgrades from when they arrived on sites, but they are still buying them and using them
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #30
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
People on this forum who have never touched one for starters

They are in the top sales chart every month, there are a lot around so yes we will hear of more issues compared to smaller sellers.
Plus they are the type of vehicle people heavily mod, drive hard and talk about online.
This.

They have their issues but then so do all vehicles. My fathers PX has had a leaking rear main and is on a second gearbox. Mine has been faultless.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post