Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
Ozian
Starter Motor

Exclamation Changing AUII I-6 serpentine belt

Hey fellow AU owners, this is my first post here. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone here could help shed some light on for me.

I was wondering how hard it is to change the serpentine belt on a 2001 AUII Fairmont with the standard 4.0L six. It looks to be relatively simple, but it's not obvious how to release the tension pully to slip it off. Is it simple once you know the trick?

The reason I was is that I just had my Fairmont serviced and they charged me $54 in labour to replace the belt, and I when I saw that once I went over the invoice in detail at home just about flipped. : All my experience is with V8's and I've never done any work on this car myself, only in order to ensure that I don't void my extended warrenty. It takes me less than 5 minutes to change the belt on my pervious Mustangs (1979 and newer), so I'm just wondering how much this dealership has gouged me. :

Also, they did a tranny flush (spilling tranny oil all over the place in the process... but that's another gripe altogether) and on my invoice it says they used Castrol TQ Dextron II. Isn't Dextron II the fluid they are supposed to use for manual trannies? Ford service book calls for Castrol TQ-95 or equivalent, and Castrol's own website says that TQ-95 is designed specifically for the BTR-A transmission, and that "Under no circumstances should alternative fluids be recommended as a suitable equivalent. Non-approved fluids will result in loss of shift performance and reduce transmission life." Even if they used TQ Dextron III, Castrol does not recommend this fluid for the Ford BTR-A transmission. Let's not even get going on the fact that they charged me $110 for 4 litres of whatever they put in. :

I'm getting ready to go back to the dealer and talk over these issues with them (I'll be polite and respectful, as I want this resolved and I know that going in with guns blazing is not a good way to get any concessions... at least not initially), but I'd like to see what you folks think on these issues.

Any comments/observations/similar experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ian

Ozian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
EvilChief
Boost Addict

piece of cake to change belt, tales 1 minute of u r good

the belts have a self tensioner, which can be released with a 17/19mm socket, the belt then slips off easy enough. easy enough otehr way around
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think its a 3/8 socket and then when its released, put a small pin or a 5mm drill bit into it to hold it back, then pull the belt off, slip the new one on a then take the pin/drill bit out and then tighten it back up. there is no need to change the belt unless the tensioner shows that it is worn, there a markings showing u this.

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
i think its a 3/8 socket and then when its released, put a small pin or a 5mm drill bit into it to hold it back, then pull the belt off, slip the new one on a then take the pin/drill bit out and then tighten it back up. there is no need to change the belt unless the tensioner shows that it is worn, there a markings showing u this.
I would be changing mine also if there were noticiable cracks in it!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #5
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Try ringing up another mechanic and getting a quote for what you got done, and ask how much for labour, how long it takes, and how much for parts (belt, oils).

Then if it fairly the same of what you were charged.... take it on the chin, if not, go and dispute it with the manager....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #6
tufLTD
tufLTD

On an AU 6, you need to remove the fan assembly to get on to the tensioner. It's a 3/8" square drive hole, so you need a 3/8" ratchet or bar. Takes about 10 mins.
The AU auto needs TQ-95, not Dex II. Get them to change it to the correct fluid asap.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #7
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
On an AU 6, you need to remove the fan assembly to get on to the tensioner. It's a 3/8" square drive hole, so you need a 3/8" ratchet or bar. Takes about 10 mins.
The AU auto needs TQ-95, not Dex II. Get them to change it to the correct fluid asap.
Definitly on the money tufLTD... exactly what i would say to do...

Definitly say something about the service charges, and the incorrect fluids being used...

A guy i know who works at holden, said someone sent their car in for a headlight to be changed, cost them $90... going by the way holden design pedal boxes, it probably took a good hour to change the light