Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default ADRs and seatbelts

Hey guys, I've got a question, what year did rear seatbelts become compulsory on cars? I'm curious is you own a car before this certain date its legal to not wear seatbelts in the back?

What about front seatbelts?

Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You have to wear seatbelts where fitted

If there are no seatbelts in the back, you don't have to wear them, but if they are in the front, you do...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
V8 Man
Excessive Fuel User

Neither my Mustang (65) or EH (63) have rear seatbelts, my understanding is that, provided all of the seatbelt equipped seats are filled, it is legal for people to travel in the other, non-seatbelt equiped seats.
Also, have mate with a '49 Mercury, no seat belts at all, and he drives it everywhere.
'10 CX9 Luxury (Family Truckster)
PBF 289 (POWERED BY FORD)Vic Number Plates for sale
V8 Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Would most American import 60s cars have front seatbelts?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
V8 Man
Excessive Fuel User

I would think so, when the Mustang was released in 1964, it came equipped with front seatbelts, although they were a delete option (for a $7 credit!).
'10 CX9 Luxury (Family Truckster)
PBF 289 (POWERED BY FORD)Vic Number Plates for sale
V8 Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

In QLD, All cars imported that were built before 1960 do not have to meet any ADR requirements. 61-72 require LO2, 73-87 Require LO3 (or LO1 cant remember), 1988 and post require FULL adr compliance in accordance with the year of manufacture.

Australian built vehicles simply require them to be factory spec, for example a 68 Fairlane didnt have rear seatbelts, only fronts. So thats all you have to comply with. At least in QLD anyway.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I'm not sure, but I think the ADR's changed around 1972 that rear seat belts were compulsory in post '72 vehicles.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
WMD351
Size it up

# Every passenger car manufactured or assembled after Jan. 1, 1968, shall be equipped with a lap-type safety belt assembly for each permanent passenger seating position. This requirement shall not apply to police vehicles.
Maybe?
All I knows is once you voluntarily fit them to the rear they can never be removed.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Hey guys, I've got a question, what year did rear seatbelts become compulsory on cars? I'm curious is you own a car before this certain date its legal to not wear seatbelts in the back?

What about front seatbelts?
In Vic, I've never known where it became compulsory to fit rear belts to a car that didnt have them installed at manufacture.
The front belts needed to be fitted before a RWC inspection in the early '70's, cannot remember exactly which year, probably 1970 when they became compulsory to wear them when fitted. But I do remember fitting them to older cars for RWC in the mid '70's.
However some older cars are still exempt for having front seat belts even to today. My 1951 MGTD that I restored in the late 1980's didnt require them at all, probably as there was no suitable structure to mount them to. One reason why I eventually sold it....
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
WMD351
Size it up

oops, fronts 1/1/69, rear 1/1/71 adr04
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
oops, fronts 1/1/69, rear 1/1/71 adr04
For new cars I would say.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post