Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
frinik

Cool DIY spark plug change tutorial

I looked around on the net for a while searching for a tutorial on how to pull the cover off the fiesta to no avail. Anyway I figured it out and thought I would make a small tutorial on changing the spark plugs.
As with a few other members of the forums my car started shuddering on cold starts, I figured I would send the car in for its 40 000k? service to fix up the shaking of the car, it came back and wasnt fixed so after a bit of research i discovered it was my spark plugs.
Before I start might I mention that I am not a qualified mechanic and you pull your car apart at your own risk. These photos are from an 04 WP Fiesta.

To do this you will need a "spark plug socket" (usually with a little padding/grip inside it) just for spark plugs, ratchet socket set, needle nose pliers and maybe a torch, new sparkplugs (preferably NGK hipo platinum ones).

Hopefully your engine bay looks like the image above. Get your ratchet and remove the bolts circled in red.

Disconnect the connectors circled in blue.
It will feel like there is another bolt holding the cover on, in actual fact its 2 rubber plugs.(see image below circled in light blue, and the image below that circled in light blue)
Grab the top right hand corner with both hands and pull straight up, if it doesnt want to give, give it a wiggle and keep pulling up, it will require abit of force, dont be affraid. Do the same for the left hand corner.

Alot of people have been mentioning moisture getting into the engine and rusting the spark plugs... notice the moisture circled in green.

This is whats holding the rest of the cover, its made of rubber so just pull the cover up and the whole thing will come off.

For those that dont know, your spark plugs are located beneath the leads circled in blue. These are rubber plugs u can pull up and out.

This is the culprit. This is the reason why you are digging into your engine like a surgeon with a knife...with probably not as much precision tho.
Stick your spark plug socket in and remember, righty tighty lefty loosy.
Turn it anti clockwise to unscrew the spark plug.
I had the most difficulty getting the spark plug connected to lead #1 out, might be different for yourself.
Stick your needle nose pliers in the hole and pull out the plug.

This is the culprit out.

This is the packet of the plugs going into the engine.

A close up of the fried plug. This is the first time these spark plugs have been changed since the cars been built. Kinda rusted and tired looking but they could have gone a few more thousand ks.

Close up of the new one going in. mmmm platinum...sacralicious...
Stick the new one in with the needle nose pliers, use the spark plug socket to tighten the spark plugs. Follow the instructions on your spark plug box. (tighten till finger tight then tighten another 1/16th which is essentially 25 degrees.
Do the rest of the spark plugs and put everything back together.

a photo of all the tired spark plugs.

Take your car for a fang around the streets and take pride in the fact that you changed your plugs and notice at least a 5kw increase in power. You also saved money from getting a mechanic to do it ;)

if youre still not confident heres a link from people who are probably more qualified to teach you. http://www.ehow.com/video_110_replace-spark-plugs.html
and if youre still not confident in doing it... best get a mechanic to do it.

Last edited by frinik; 02-04-2008 at 12:12 AM.
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
Rimwar
On 'L' Plates

nice guide.... the old ones seem a bit rusty... do you think they were hindering your performance.? or was it just age.?
Rimwar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
frinik

thanks... I think these plugs were just old, theyve been on for 40 000ks.
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #4
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very useful guide for all Fiesta users. Thanks.

Changed my spark plugs and leads at 30,000kms. Definitely notice the car's smoother with the new sparks n leads. My sparkes didnt show any rusting though.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post