Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Heat resistant paint or coating?

I have a bit of a query regarding what options to use to change the colour of a wood heater.

I have a Norseman wood heater in brown that is basically this exact one:

So its a thicker steel box, surrounded by a sheetmetal cover which is some kind of enamel or powdercoat. With a newly renovated room, brown no longer suits and it would be good to change it to black.

I think powdercoating would be the best option if it can stand up to the heat. Being that the sheetmetal is more of a cover with a bit of an airgap and not in direct contact with the fire itself, it just MAY be ok. I never actually tested surface temperatures though.

Also the Flue is brown which may be more of an issue.

The other option is a potbelly paint, but it seems like a messier option which wouldnt have as good a finish, and probably easier to scratch.

What can you recommend?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Heat resistant paint or coating?

https://www.stovebright.com.au/paint-powder
Old 04-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

from a car forum - how about exhaust header paint?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the suggestion.

I forgot to mention, one concern I have with heatproof paints such as what you suggested is that to cure the paint it must react a certain temperature. For that product you mention it’s 600f or 350c. I’m partly concerned that the surfaces I wish to paint may never reach that temperature and so I assume will never fully cure.

I only wish now that before removing the wood heater that I tested all surface temperatures with a heat gun with the heater at full temperature. Then I could have determined if powdercoat is adaquate or if I needed heat paint.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I have a bit of a query regarding what options to use to change the colour of a wood heater.

I have a Norseman wood heater in brown that is basically this exact one:

So its a thicker steel box, surrounded by a sheetmetal cover which is some kind of enamel or powdercoat. With a newly renovated room, brown no longer suits and it would be good to change it to black.

I think powdercoating would be the best option if it can stand up to the heat. Being that the sheetmetal is more of a cover with a bit of an airgap and not in direct contact with the fire itself, it just MAY be ok. I never actually tested surface temperatures though.

Also the Flue is brown which may be more of an issue.

The other option is a potbelly paint, but it seems like a messier option which wouldnt have as good a finish, and probably easier to scratch.

What can you recommend?
mike_nofx This is my solution for a coating.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post